Floor monitors - Small bands, small venues.

• Members

Recommendations on best floor monitors?

I have an active QSC set up right now for mains. I spent a lot on those mains and there isn't much cash left, so I'm gonna buy the monitors one by one. I don't want to go much over $500 per speaker. Is that unrealistic?

I see Yorks that cost as much as my 153i's and they are teeny little wedges.

Can the K10s cut it? Or do I need at least a 12 inch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

• Members

well. there are more to monitors than just the speakers themselves..Do you have any EQs, power amps? How many mixes did you want?

I suggest the Yamaha Club series as the best, lowest price wedge I'd want to work with. passive. k12s and HPR 122i make very good monitors too. I find that active monitors past about 3 onstage is a bit of a hassle with a/c cords and mic cords both running around. but i do some pretty widely varying type events. active doesn't move around to suit different acts as easy as passive. if it's just your own band, do consider them

• Members

I'd like to keep it active ONLY because I don't want to get out of hand. My mains are active, and I work with an A&H MW 16/2. I don't want to have to add power amps xovers and such. I DO have 4 31 band EQs which are only for monitor mixes right now.

I guess maybe my target price isn't based in reality... will have to keep saving pennies.

• Members

A major local provider just switched to all K10's for monitors so I guess they will do the job. You don't normally have anything under 100hz in them anyways.

in ideal situations. how many times have we argued for no drums in the monitors on small gigs?:)

• Members

K10s are a nice box with decent output. GBF will be your limit when used as monitors in most reasonable circumstances, long before the output of the box will. And, obviously, need for a lot of LF output changes the circumstances around quite a bit.

• Members

I'd like to keep it active ONLY because I don't want to get out of hand. My mains are active, and I work with an A&H MW 16/2. I don't want to have to add power amps xovers and such. I DO have 4 31 band EQs which are only for monitor mixes right now.

I guess maybe my target price isn't based in reality... will have to keep saving pennies.

$500 gets a pretty nice passive wedge. you won't need crossovers, just power amps if you go passive.

shop used..HPRs are fairly plentiful

• Members

Soul-x, pros cons? Pretty new to this stuff... not sure what the 90 degree horn would do for/to me?

It really depends on your needs. The 90 degree conical horn doesn't have much pattern control, for both the good and bad of that.

• Members

Well its for my band only, I guess the needs are really just for vocals to go to drummer/guitar/bassist/lead vox.

Right now... *cough loudly*I have 3 monitors that start with a B*continues coughing loudly*

Just want nice clean vocals coming back to the band.

• Members

Which B's are they? Honestly, eq'd and run decently, some B boxes may be capable of pushing out similar GBF as some of the better boxes mentioned in this situation.

Maybe just getting the most from what you have will serve you well enough until you change things up to something you really need.

• Members

There the B212A. Arg.

I mean they really aren't THAT bad for now. I just know its not the right speaker for the application.

When EQing should I just bring up the volume, find the feedback, remove it, and repeat?

I just know they'll blow eventually. So I'm kinda preparing for that.

• Members

K10s are a nice box with decent output. GBF will be your limit when used as monitors in most reasonable circumstances, long before the output of the box will. And, obviously, need for a lot of LF output changes the circumstances around quite a bit.

Exactimundo. Flat response is king for monitors.

I've had no problems getting a Mackie SRM450 and QSC HPR122i to ear drum popping levels before feedback. For whatever reasons, i think these two boxes sound much better as wedges than FOH.

Baseline EQ for both just one small cut. Around 600 for the QSC and 2k for the Mackie i think.

• Members

How about Wharfedale Tian 12A's?

Hey buddy! nice to have you back!

I recommend the Titans a lot for many applications but as monitors where GBF is very important, I honestly don't know if they'd do much better than the B212As. It would probably be best to rent a pair (if you can find em) to see. I know the Titans are louder and are capable of much better bass output than the Bs, but for a monitor, those two features are pretty meaningless. The horn on the Titans is very nice and clear on vocals in pre-recorded music though. I just don't know how well they'd do in a live sound situation.

My NX55Ps are very good in the GBF department IMO and are nice and smooth on vocals. Maybe the cheaper NX25Ps would be a good choice? They are a great sounding cab and worth checking out. Depending how much power you need...

Oh wait, that little speaker under my foot in my avatar might do very well indeed! RCF Art 310A. Nice, ear pleasing, LOUD and only 27lbs. Excellent quality powered cabinet.

Enough choices now?

Al

• Members

I'd like to keep it active ONLY because I don't want to get out of hand.

I prefer my FOH active, monitors passive. I don't like running extension cords all over my stage.

Yorkville NX25p are good speakers. Not as high power as some others but used properly, can provide accurate and audible monitoring to loud-ass rock bands in smaller venues.

I hope to sound gods that you have a 31-band EQ on the output of each monitor mix!

• Members

I'd like to keep it active ONLY because I don't want to get out of hand... I guess maybe my target price isn't based in reality... will have to keep saving pennies.

The ZXA1-90 can be had for $500 or less shipped. You can get a PAIR of the passive version for less than that as well.

If you've already got the EQs, pick up a 4ch. amp like the Carvin DCM2004L and go passive monitors. Clean and scalable. Your monitor rig could fit in a small rack case and weigh less than 40lb.

• Members

I use Yorkville NX25P. They can be had for $400 each and sound very loud and clear on the floor.

My experience as well. They seem to get much louder than their specifications, and are a fairly pleasant sounding cab. Price is right too.

• Members

A major local provider just switched to all K10's for monitors so I guess they will do the job. You don't normally have anything under 100hz in them anyways.

I agree. I TRY to not spread too much low end around the stage but invariable murphy will walk in and the BU Vocalist (that I gave the whimpy 12"/1" horn wedge to) will want a ton of kick & bass and 110db+ in that wedge. Go figure.

I will ALWAYS give the drummer at least a 15" wedge (and a sub if I can). It's not always needed but more often than not, there is considerable Kick & Bass in that mix.

• Members

We use the 12" Yamaha clubs. I also agree they are likely the best value in a monitor that sounds musical, and gets good volume. For $500 you should be able to get a used pair, and probably enough left for a used amp like a QSC RMX 1450 (heavy, but good).

• Members

I just got a pair of K10's for monitors and seam to work fine. Im the drummer and never hear them but the wife says she can hear her self fine. Im thinking about a ZXa1 for myself during smaller gigs, I really only need some guitar for these shows.

• Members

Lots of great advice here, thanks everyone!

If I decided to go the passive route... what would a decent set up consist of? I've never even used a power amp. Either had a powered mixer, or unpowered with powered speakers.

Right now, like I said, I have a MixWiz and QSC tops and subs, also 4 channels of 31 band eq.

WHat all would I need to add in order to create a passive monitor mix?

Archived