Layla - Quick Classic Riffs - Eric Clapton Guitar Lesson

Mooncat84

• Members

One of the most iconic riffs in rock history from one of the most legendary guitarists in rock history! Is this Clapton's best riff? It's certainly up there. Also features some of rock's best slide playing from Duane Allman.

“I’m incredibly proud of that song. To have ownership of something that powerful is something I’ll never be able to get used to,” Eric Clapton said of Layla in 1988. “It still knocks me out when I play it.”

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You consider the slide guitar in Layla to be some of the best rock slide guitar ever? Seriously - can you point to ONE part of that slide guitar track that doesn't sound like he just started learning slide?

He's a very good slide player, but I consider that his worst work. I suspect alcohol was involved.

• Members
12 hours ago, Grant Harding said:

You consider the slide guitar in Layla to be some of the best rock slide guitar ever? Seriously - can you point to ONE part of that slide guitar track that doesn't sound like he just started learning slide?

He's a very good slide player, but I consider that his worst work. I suspect alcohol was involved.

My thoughts exactly.  Most of it sounds like off key wankery to me.

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2020 at 11:03 AM, mrbrown49 said:

My thoughts exactly.  Most of it sounds like off key wankery to me.

Eric to Duane: OMG, I am so in love with George's wife. I need it to sound like my heart's getting torn out of my chest.

Duane (putting slide on his finger): Oh Jesus, this is just getting embarrassing. Roll tape, let's just get this over with!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
On 2/9/2020 at 7:26 PM, 6down1togo said:

While checking out your link, I came across this: https://youtu.be/BR8WCy_0jtA

The sound of one guitar playing vs. multi-tracking … 6:16 to 7:14 is a great example. Separately the parts sound feeble. Together they sound huge.

I came across that video a couple of years back while trying to learn to play the song for a covers band. Suffice it to say, I ditched the idea of covering that song - it's really hard to make it sound great in a 3 piece.

However about the Duane Allman slide part - it may sound embarassing to some, but I love that sound and feel. I don't care whether it's technically great or not, but it has so much feel, stirs so much emotion that for me there are few slide parts to compare.

Archived