Wireless? Too scared to purchase!

• Members

So my next toy to buy was going to be a wireless guitar set up so I can roam freely on stage. But now almost every product says... dear consumer the FCC is about to bend you over on this product so we can't promise anything.

Are there set ups available right now that won't be shut down and if so can you recommend any to me?

• Members

Anything you buy new should be well within legal considerations, unless you're buying chinese knockoffs on ebay.

Audio-Technica 3000 series are fantastic systems at a very good price, as are Sennheiser g3.

• Members

This from MusiciansFriend.com Line 6 Relay G30:

Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level (not in excess of 50 milliwatts); and it has no protection from interference received from any other device. Purchasers should also be aware that the FCC is currently evaluating use of wireless microphone systems, and these rules are subject to change. For more information, call the FCC at 1-888-CALL-FCC (TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC) or visit the FCC's wireless microphone website at:

www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones.

• Members

Yep. Technically, we all need licenses to use our wireless stuff.

You will be safe as long as you buy new from Sweetwater/MF/GC, etc.

DO NOT buy from eBay or Craigslist and don't look at used gear. Lots of "illegal" stuff out there for sale to unsuspecting purchasers.

• Members

If this is a needed purchase, then avoid the 700 band, and buy one. Nothing is guaranteed to be OK except for when you buy it.

If this is a purchase that you can't recover from if you lose your investment, then avoid it and use a guitar cord.

It will always be a crap shoot regarding how long you can use a given wireless frequency without issue.

• Members

Yep. Technically, we all need licenses to use our wireless stuff.

True under the old rules, yes. But, the old rules only allowed for licenses to be granted to broadcasters or those in motion picture production. In other words, churches, bands, theaters, and even government facilities were not eligible to own/use wireless mics. The FCC knew this, to some extent, and turned a blind eye.

Now, with the new rules going into effect on June 12, any system with a transmitter under 50mW in power will NOT need a license. This is 95% or more of all systems out there - certainly all the sub-$1000/channel wireless.

• Members
Now, with the new rules going into effect on June 12, any system with a transmitter under 50mW in power will NOT need a license. This is 95% or more of all systems out there - certainly all the sub-$1000/channel wireless.

What frequencies is that true on? I'm kinda curious if "someone" ;) happened to have a 50mw FM broadcast band transmitter is it now legal to operate? Is the 50mw actual transmitter output power or ERP?

• Members

What frequencies is that true on? I'm kinda curious if "someone"
;)
happened to have a 50mw FM broadcast band transmitter is it now legal to operate? Is the 50mw actual transmitter output power or ERP?

This is for the frequency range 470-698 MHz, i.e. the "standard" UHF band. I think the FCC figured, based on a huge amount of input from wireless mic users and manufacturers, that there were millions of them out there already (without licenses) and next to no complaints. But the "aha moment" certainly could have happened with a certain "someone" was told that they would not be allowed to use their wireless mic on their next campaign. I would guess it was more than just one person...

Regarding the transmitter power measurement, my understanding is that for transmitters falling under FCC part 74, those with an antenna connector port are measured into a 50 ohm dummy load, i.e. it is the power output of the transmitter. However, for transmitters with fixed antennas ERP (effective radiating power) since there is no way to measure the direct output of the transmitter.

• Members
So should I wait until this is all sorted out before buying? Or maybe Obama will just socialize the music industry. That way I'll know exactly what chords to play.

just don't play your chords better than others. Everyone is supposed to cross the finish line at exactly the same time.

• Members

I have the Line 6 XDS95, which (I think) is similar to the G30. No problems to report except maybe the short range, but that's only when I run off stage, never an issue on stage.

I see the G30 has some kind of "cable modeling" thingy. WTF? :freak:

I can't tell the difference between a cable and the Line 6. I use a cable during rehearsal and the wireless during gigs, and it sounds exactly the same to me. I think its marketing fluff.:idk:

• Members

This from MusiciansFriend.com Line 6 Relay G30:

Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level (not in excess of 50 milliwatts); and it has no protection from interference received from any other device. Purchasers should also be aware that the FCC is currently evaluating use of wireless microphone systems, and these rules are subject to change. For more information, call the FCC at 1-888-CALL-FCC (TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC) or visit the FCC's wireless microphone website at:

www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones

All this says is that unlicensed devices may not conflict with or cause interference to current standing licensed broadcasters in the frequency spectrum... licensed broadcasters include radio stations, tv stations, cell phone towers, communication relays, etc. These provisions have been in place for years and years, and even the current re-allocation of the 700MHz band has been in the works for well over a decade.

The operating spectrum of wireless units in the UHF band is basically referred to as "white space" since there are no permanent broadcasters operating in that band, so it's essentially free for squatters to sit on temporarily. That is until a portion of the spectrum gets reallocated for another use (such as the 700MHz spectrum for new mobile broadband services).

So don't worry about the nonsense. All you really need to know is that you MUST NOT buy a wireless system that operates in the 700MHz band. Most reputable manufacturers of wireless systems stopped selling products in the 700MHz band a decade ago.

• Members

The white space was the space that sat between the allocated TV channels. It varied from location to location and was aided by the alternate channel per region rule of allocating TV frequencies.

(sounded like white noise)

Archived