Wireless? Too scared to purchase!

• Members

This from MusiciansFriend.com Line 6 Relay G30:

Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level (not in excess of 50 milliwatts); and it has no protection from interference received from any other device. Purchasers should also be aware that the FCC is currently evaluating use of wireless microphone systems, and these rules are subject to change. For more information, call the FCC at 1-888-CALL-FCC (TTY: 1-888-TELL-FCC) or visit the FCC's wireless microphone website at:

www.fcc.gov/cgb/wirelessmicrophones

This DOES NOT AFFECT any Line 6 Relay or X2 products. We operate outside the core TV bands and so are exempt for ANY of these rule changes and consumer alerts.

The FCC had added ...

• Members

I see the G30 has some kind of "cable modeling" thingy. WTF?
:freak:

I can't tell the difference between a cable and the Line 6. I use a cable during rehearsal and the wireless during gigs, and it sounds exactly the same to me. I think its marketing fluff.
:idk:

Most people can't hear the difference but it is easy to measure. The Relay is actually cleaner, with less response loss than your guitar cable. For that reason we modeled "cable losses" and allow the user to dial them in as "cable tone". It only make a difference to me when running direct in studio situations.

If you are one of those guys that can hear a difference in brands of guitar cables you will appreciate this, but you can switch it off as you wish.

• Members

Most people can't hear the difference but it is easy to measure. The Relay is actually cleaner, with less response loss than your guitar cable. For that reason we modeled "cable losses" and allow the user to dial them in as "cable tone". It only make a difference to me when running direct in studio situations.

If you are one of those guys that can hear a difference in brands of guitar cables you will appreciate this, but you can switch it off as you wish.

Hmm...the more I think about it I have heard some guys say they can hear the difference. I guess if it works for them...

I've been very happy with the XDS. By short range I mean I can still get 50-60 feet from the stage in most cases with no issues. Never any interference period. If the G30 is in that same league then I say (to the OP) go for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Be cautious with the 2.4gHz wireless units as most of your wireless home products use that band, along with the Bluetooth items.

We've been selling a lot of the Shure SLX systems.

While true, all devices operating in this band (aside from microwaves) are built to deal with the interference from other devices (digitally encoded etc). Warning people from the frequency band in general is silly.

• Members

Warning people from the frequency band in general is silly.

Yep. When you are at Starbucks downloading your email do you get parts of other people's email mixed in with yours? Digital is smart and knows what to listen for. If it were an analog wireless operating in a band with interference the results would be a disaster.

The world of wireless is changing June 9th. Anybody coming to InfoComm, I'll be happy to show you ;)

Archived