Tone pot only works from 3-1.??

rdpar

• Members

A couple of possibilities come to mind. Mainly, it could either be the pot's taper (i.e., log vs. linear) or the value of the cap (i.e., a cap with a higher value will take effect at a lower frequency). You mentioned a Tele kit. I assume that's the guitar you have. Is the issue with two different Teles or the same guitar?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 1/22/2020 at 5:14 PM, DeepEnd said:

A couple of possibilities come to mind. Mainly, it could either be the pot's taper (i.e., log vs. linear) or the value of the cap (i.e., a cap with a higher value will take effect at a lower frequency). You mentioned a Tele kit. I assume that's the guitar you have. Is the issue with two different Teles or the same guitar?

This^

Frankly, you should ask this of the people who sold you the kit...but, do you have the manufacturer's information on the potentiometer, and the value of the capacitor used for bleed off? Without that, there really is no place for us to start.

• Members

If you're still paying attention to this thread swap in a linear pot if you currently have a log pot installed (it will take effect earlier in its rotation) and possibly a higher value cap. A standard Tele cap is 0.047uF but some folks find that value to be on the high side. OTOH, it may be just right for you. It would also be nice to know what's in your Tele at the moment.

Archived