Best way to go 100ft from mixer to FOH mains?

• Members

I still say that a 16x4 snake is fine, just use 15&16 for left and right. Many bands can be mixed in 12-14 channels.

Thats what I had to do for my first few shows with the StudioLive. After spending the money for the board, there wasnt $300-$500 laying around for a new snake. I got a multipack of 8 adapters on the bay for less than $20. A five piece band with 4 vox only took 14 channels.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Those damn adaptors are expensive though, I need another 4-6 for just having around. Another really cool trick is to have XLR Y cables around of different sexes. A FF to M makes a good F to F adaptor and the M end doesn't get used. Good for a 1 off but not a permenant thing.

• Members

Those damn adaptors are expensive though, I need another 4-6 for just having around. Another really cool trick is to have XLR Y cables around of different sexes. A FF to M makes a good F to F adaptor and the M end doesn't get used. Good for a 1 off but not a permenant thing.

We've got a couple hanging around the shop that have 2 ea male & female. They can work as either y cables or gender changers in any direction.

-Dan.

• Members
Another really cool trick is to have XLR Y cables around of different sexes. A FF to M makes a good F to F adaptor and the M end doesn't get used. Good for a 1 off but not a permenant thing.

That is a really cool trick and would have saved me running a cable for an extra channel last night :facepalm:. I really hate the solid turnaround adapters and haven't gotten 'round to making some short cable ones yet but had a bunch of "Y" cords of both types with me :freak:.

Archived