Best way to go 100ft from mixer to FOH mains?

• Members

I just bought a snake, and I have a max range of 100ft with it. But I realize now that with my monitors tying up the four returns that I have nothing to come back to the HPR181s with.

What is my best bet to travel 100 ft using the stereo outs of my mix wiz to the xlr inputs on the subs? Can I connect 4 25ft cables and use them as a single without loss of anything?

Where should I buy? Why do I have a feeling audiopile is going to be in my future?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Buy a return snake. It is a snake with XLR fantail on each end (or TRS or whatever you need to do the job.) Get a 100ft length like your snake is. You can get 4 channel or 6 channel or whatever. Never hurts to have a few more channels than you need today. It also means you could decide to have your DR or whatever at FOH and have enough sends for all the bands if that is something you want to have at FOH. ( I don't like my processor at FOH but some folks do.)

• Members

just build a 6 or 9 channel drive snake. then you have enough for more as you expand.

trouble with typical 100' xlr cables is they likely wont last you too long. unless you are very judicious and careful about coiling/storing them every time you will end up with a f***ed up cable quickly. this is more a user issue than cable issue, but a major issue for a lot of folks.

a 6 channel drive snake OTOH is easy to coil, easy to store and is a lot tougher than a plain XLR cable.

• Members

Your preferred vendor has them, but the smallest is 4 channel return snake (drive snake, whatever...)

ewi sells them? cool.

subs- drive snakes (or return snakes, same thing just different jargon) are oftne custom jobs. if ewi has them then thats cool. i have always made my own.

i bought an ewi snake with 8 returns so when i made a drive snake for that it is 16' of 8 channel to go from the snake head to the amp racks. i've never found 8 channel snake lately so i cut some channels off.

if you get a drive snake you could gaff it to your main snake and run it alongside, just like it was one snake.

• Members

stop thinking of cables as having direction - they dont. you can change the ends on the cables. i wont speak for mark but i believe he will change them for you if you ask nice and pay a little more.

i guarantee you if you use plain old 100' xlrs you will be sorry.

also, if your newer snake is more than 2 channels - i also guarantee you will grow into them.

the smallest pair count i can get locally is 6, so surprise i have a number of six channels snakes doing various things. i love them. i can also get 9 and 12 channel snake cable. and of course the larger counts are easier to come by.

i highly recommend the 6 pair snake, its really easy to work with and store. learn how or find someone who will solder for you.

• Members

Lol, ok those sound like stern guarantees.

Ok so currently I have a 16x4 100ft Snake. Since my mix wiz has 16 channels, I'm set as far as that goes. Also I have four pre-fader aux outs, which will be monitor sends, so that uses up my 4 returns.

So now I just buy a small snake with XLR returns and use it as my way back to the mains. Arg. Maybe I should return the snake I got (from GC) and upgrade to something with more returns? Doesn't that make more sense than having two snakes?

• Members

Since you said EWI, I will give you an example of theirs:

They have this with various sorts of ends depending on what you need. You pick the connectors, channel count, and length, and you are good to go.

wow. i cant build them that cheap even just for parts, and they come with a grip on one end. impressive.

subs - get those.

• Members

Lol, ok those sound like stern guarantees.

Ok so currently I have a 16x4 100ft Snake. Since my mix wiz has 16 channels, I'm set as far as that goes. Also I have four pre-fader aux outs, which will be monitor sends, so that uses up my 4 returns.

So now I just buy a small snake with XLR returns and use it as my way back to the mains. Arg. Maybe I should return the snake I got (from GC) and upgrade to something with more returns?
Doesn't that make more sense than having two snakes?

yes.

also, are you using all 16 channels on your snake?

• Members

well, in that case here is an option that is free or cheap -

use spare channels to run back to your mains. you can get turnaround cables for this.

in the event that you have to have 16 channels of inputs, you could run mono to your mains on one return and have three monitor mixes.

again, just some options.

remember this is all about compromise.

• Members

3) use gender-change adapters on extra channels (if available) to convert them to returns

I just watched an EWI 8 XLR (no returns) 100' snake go on eBay for cheap. (That MTFM is a good deal for new as pointed out... it WOULD be tough to build one for that price.) Either are options that you could use for extra sends or returns as needed.

FWIW - I bought a 16x8 EWI snake to avoid this problem.

• Members

I'd like to get this:
http://www.audiopile.net/products/Stagelink_snakes/PSPX-16-8/PSPX-16-8_cutsheet.shtml

but instead of 8 xlr returns, have 4 xlr returns and 4 trs returns. that would be PERFECT

thats the one i have, 150' version. the BOX has both XLR and TRS already on it.

you could have the FAN end converted to TRS on some channels, or use adapter cables. but most eqs' have XLR outs, so your all set assuming your eqs are at FOH.

p.s. no matter what you do, when you open up whatever snake you have be sure to discuss how to uncoil it on this forum. dont make the mistake i made and pull the brand new snake out of the coil :( i spent several hours untwisting it after that blunder. see the new snakes arent coiled, they are spooled. you have to unspool them before coiling them.

• Members

DUH, you just saved me big time. I forgot I'll be going out of the EQs to the monitors so I don't need TRS. THANKS!

Actually I posted a while back "new to snakes" and everyone game me really good tips on snake care so I'll be super careful with it. I think I'm going to take back my GC one and buy it from pile.

SWEET!

Archived