Best way to go 100ft from mixer to FOH mains?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You're supposed to plan your sends, returns, and distance before you buy the snake. So you didn't think ahead on this one.

With some adapters, you can use a send line as a return and vice versa. It's awkward but it works in a pinch.

• Members

I have to tell ya... I love the reeled EWI snake that I grabbed last month (based on many helpful suggestions received right here -thank you very much BTW). It deffinately made things easier and actually cleaned up the stage seeing as I don't have the box sitting by the drums anymore (unexpected benefit).

• Members

1. Return the 16x4x100 to GC.

2. Get an EWI 16x8x150', preferably on a reel.

3. No worries.

I do like the reel ones. Seems easier for storage, transport, and safe keeping of the cable.

• Members

I do like the reel ones. Seems easier for storage, transport, and safe keeping of the cable.

I have a reeled snake and would never go back unless I racked a regular box type in a rack like some people posted pics of in that other thread you made. I'm trying to convert all my stuff so everything has wheels on it. Especially because I play in a 3 piece band and its nice to have 1 person guard at the trailer and on at the stage during load in/out. Having everything on wheels makes 1 manning everything so much easier.

• Members

I have a reeled snake and would never go back unless I racked a regular box type in a rack like some people posted pics of in that other thread you made. I'm trying to convert all my stuff so everything has wheels on it. Especially because I play in a 3 piece band and its nice to have 1 person guard at the trailer and on at the stage during load in/out. Having everything on wheels makes 1 manning everything so much easier.

For sure. I have the reeled 16/8/100' in my shopping cart this instant... I'm just having trouble pulling the trigger. AAAAH almost $500 for this thing with shipping!!!

• Members

Often I'll use s 16x4 50' instead of a 24x8 100' when the room is smaller and I know I won't need all 16 channels. The 4 returns are for the 4 monitor mixes and ch16 is used for mono mains. If stereo then use 15&16. Easy, no extra cables, no extra expense etc. Use adaptors on both ends and you're off and running.

Since the aux outputs of the mixwiz (and many other boards) are 1/4 TRS I have sevaral 3-6ft TRS to XLRM 4 channel snakes. They live in the monitor amps attached to that patch panel on the XLR end. When there is no snake the 1/4 goes straight to the Mixwiz's aux send outputs. When there is a snake then they go into the EWI snake (1/4 and XLR returns make this possible) AND use a 2nd one between the mixwiz and snake fan end. If I forget the 2nd one then 4 short XLR's work as well.

If you're looking at a drive snake then the term is fan to fan.

• Members

To be honest subs, you seem to be spending an awful lot of money on something you apparently know nothing about (live sound).

What is it that you're doing, exactly?

This is a good question.

First because it made me realize my name is "subs". I've thought to myself that people sure talk about subs a lot in my threads, but then I realized they mean me. Lots of brain power going on here, folks.

Second... I dunno why I have all this stuff. I'm not a sound guy. I'm just in a band. I guess I like knowing that if I need to put on excellent sound for my band at almost any venue that doesn't have its own sound guy (which is quite a few) in my area, that I CAN do it. Plus I know lots of friends who throw lots of parties, and it allows me to be paid for something I enjoy doing (though I'll admit I know little about.)

I used to be the king just with my little Peavey, and my Community speakers. Now I have my QSCs and my MixWiz, and I'm GOD. Lol, it cracks me up.

Also I like crystal clear loud as hell music.

• Members

That's the same guy I think that has the CL ad I forwarded via PM. Encouraging that he priced things individually on PSW... meaning he'll likely part it out. $250+SH would be a deal... we gave $240 shipped for ours and it would have been worth that little extra to get it on a reel.

• Members

I live in CA though, I've never done anything with CL from that far away. Sorta worries me. I hate thinking I'll get something and have half of it not work.

Today 02:28 PM

I have had great experiences buying from people on PSW boards. Although it has only been a few things, I dont think anyone one there would be ripping people off. CL can be worrisome, but I would be a lot less worried about the PSW guys.

• Members

I'll mention it again, since it seems to have gone unnoticed. If you're prepared to drop a monitor mix and run in mono, the snake you have now will work.

I bet he could get that one off PSW and return the one he already has and have a little cash left over, or be really close.

• Members

GCDEF, I did see that, and I appreciate the thought. I'm just concerned about not having seperate control over my monitor mixes for feedback issues.

The one on PSW I would go for, but damn, seems like a hassle. Especially so far out of state.

• Members

FWIW - I got our EWI snake used off of CL shipped half way across the country... like new and no hassles save for the guy taking a few days to ship since he was out of town on business when I decided to pull the trigger. Your guy looks like less of a risk than my guy I think... he's a frequent flyer at PSW and that's a good sign as previously noted.

Archived