Musta been underpowered <wink>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
You think a $6500 amp would have some sort of warning as to how the user is gonna power the thing. Unless that's a money making scheme; user error blows up amp has to buy 2nd.

This is a pro touring amp meant to be run off a distro. Running it off a 15 or 20 amp circuit wouldn't damage the amp but may blow the upstream breaker. They kinda assume anybody buying one isn't an idiot - perhaps not always the right assumption ;).

• CMS Author

actually i find the more expensive the tool is the less warnings it comes with (??) my delta TS only came with a small paragraph about the dangers involved, whereas a $80 crummy saw will come with 2 pages

Meh, 2 pages.....My $80 Sears Crapsman saw had 75 paragraphs of "YOU GONNA DIE WITH THIS THING!!!" warnings.

But yeah, my Unisaw manual just says, "don't be a dummy, dummy!" on one page, and then it's all business. What a saw.

• Members

unisaws are sweet. mine is just a full size delta contractor with a side feed table and an outfeed table i made. it has the beismeyer fence which is just drool. i cant say enough about the fence. i bought the quick - removable splitter for it and its not in the pic. splitter works very well, comes out in seconds.

2260589860026985969S500x500Q85.jpg

• CMS Author

unisaws are sweet. mine is just a full size delta contractor with a side feed table and an outfeed table i made. it has the beismeyer fence which is just drool. i cant say enough about the fence. i bought the quick - removable splitter for it and its not in the pic. splitter works very well, comes out in seconds.

2260589860026985969S500x500Q85.jpg

You have the quick-release splitter...does it work well? I've thought about getting it. Agreed, the Biesemeyer fence really takes the saw from great to awesome. So too does a Forrest blade...which will make any decent saw a cutting machine.

• Members

the splitter works very well although if you dont need the anti kickback prawls a riving knife would be just as great. i dont need the antikickback really but i dont know of a quick release riving knife.

it IS a bitch and a half to setup right the first time, WAY harder/longer than setting up the arbor (which is not easy either).

• Members

I didnt think that you can recone JBL drivers? Well, at least they dont make recone kits for them and JBL makes you buy a new driver.

Of course you can, and JBL makes kits but you can't buy them. JBL recone parts are only available to authorized reconers. The cost of a recone is about $250-$280. The cost of a new driver is about double that.

• Members

Not to hijack this post but does a recone'd speaker perform as well as a new one? Since I've never had one done I've (Maybe wrongly) thought they did not perform as well. It sounds like you make your living in Cal. doing nothing but recone work.

• Members
Not to hijack this post

This post has been back and forth to Cuba at least twice already so I'd not worry about it :lol:

but does a recone'd speaker perform as well as a new one? Since I've never had one done I've (Maybe wrongly) thought they did not perform as well.

If done by a qualified person with factory parts it will be as good as new :thu:. If done by some DJ who does it in his spare time out of his van for half price with aftermarket parts - not so much :(.

It sounds like you make your living in Cal. doing nothing but recone work.

Besides leaping tall buildings in a single bound :) he does about a dozen different things for money and as hobbies as far as I can tally :eek:.

• Members

Not to hijack this post but does a recone'd speaker perform as well as a new one? Since I've never had one done I've (Maybe wrongly) thought they did not perform as well. It sounds like you make your living in Cal. doing nothing but recone work.

If done properly with proper parts they should function identically to a new part.

There are, unfortunately, a bunch of hacks out there doing poor quality work. I was just talking with another reconer about this very thing. Both of us went to the JBL class, me in 1978, and the level of detail to do things properly is substantial.

• Members

:(
.Besides leaping tall buildings in a single bound
:)
he does about a dozen different things for money and as hobbies as far as I can tally
:eek:

Pretty much feels that way. I have just kept my hands in several successful ventures that I got involved with over the years.

• Members

Thanks for the reply, one more question if a dealer is an authorized repair center for JBL does this automatically mean they are ok to do recone jobs? And you say many "Hacks" doing poor quality work, anyway to know if a shop does quality work?

• Members

Thanks for the reply, one more question if a dealer is an authorized repair center for JBL does this automatically mean they are ok to do recone jobs? And you say many "Hacks" doing poor quality work, anyway to know if a shop does quality work?

If they are an authorized JBL repair center, they have the tools and parts to do the job correctly, and you are covered by a 90 day warranty (minimum) as well. It doesn't hurt to verify this with JBL, some folks have been known to make claims that aren't totally true.

There are also some very good reconers who are not an authorized shop but they don't have proper access to JBL oem parts. There are also some excellent aftermarket parts for SOME JBL products but you really need to have confidence in your reconer to know what's good and what's crap and his reputation is a good start.

• Members

Of course you can, and JBL makes kits but you can't buy them. JBL recone parts are only available to authorized reconers. The cost of a recone is about $250-$280. The cost of a new driver is about double that.

I have no idea why I was thinking this then :idk:

• Members

So here's the question of the day. I've just bought 2 JBL SRX728s cabs and am going to power them with 2 QSC rmx1850s bridged. I'm assuming that I'm a little light in the amp category for these, but I'm not real sure. I've read so many things in the past two weeks, I figured I'd be ok until I can get the money saved up for an IT6000 or a pair of XTI4000 from crown. Any advice AH?

• Members

So here's the question of the day. I've just bought 2 JBL SRX728s cabs and am going to power them with 2 QSC rmx1850s bridged. I'm assuming that I'm a little light in the amp category for these, but I'm not real sure. I've read so many things in the past two weeks, I figured I'd be ok until I can get the money saved up for an IT6000 or a pair of XTI4000 from crown. Any advice AH?

That's just about perfect IME. Really.

Archived