Musta been underpowered <wink>

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yea, double the power I use....thats nuts! I have a hard limiter on my stuff to keep things in the green;) I love my crown k2's on subs, so 2500w is what im stuck with......

And that's a good thing?
:eek:

Or were you just commenting that at 2500 watts you were still overpowered and that the guy with 5000 watts into his was completely bonkers
:)
?

• Members
2500 watts is 1.5625 times the continuious 1600 watt rating of the 728. I wouldn't run that much, but it is not outside of the typical recommendation that people are provided on this forum.

He implied that he has a DSP in there somewhere with the limiters cranked down to safe levels so no prob - assuming the DSP is set properly. I loaned my four PR10's out for use as monitors the other day and they were run off iTech 8000's - 10x RMS :eek:. Those have amazing limiters in them and because they are in the amps you can just set them in watts out and not have to do a bunch of calculations and verification measurements like you'd have to do with a stand alone DSP :(. I had absolutely no fear that the PR10's would be in any danger.

• Members

Yep, read my previous posts.......728's don't need all 2500w.

2500 watts is 1.5625 times the continuious 1600 watt rating of the 728. I wouldn't run that much, but it is not outside of the typical recommendation that people are provided on this forum.

• Members

Here is another of these posts from that website. Six woofers in six cabs!

1000 watt rms rated? 89 volts? Sure they are.:poke: AES-1984-2 For two hours., kind of an accelerated life expectancy test.

However according to this guy you need more. I kinda like 1250 watts a box if they were mine.

Recently my friend called me because his current soundman has smoked 6 of his 18" speakers in the last 4 months......

But I told him about a year ago that he was under powering his speakers, at that point he did not want to listen, He is running 4 sb850 subs with 1 macrotech 5k.

If you do the paperwork each sb850 has 2 x 1000 watt 18" drivers, rule of thumb is 1 and a half to 2 times the rated speaker power which comes out to be about 3000 watts per box at 1 and a half power, with 2 boxes per side(2 ohm load)a mac 5k puts out 2500 per channel meaning each box is getting about 1250 watts....waaaaayyyy underpowered, with what he has paid for replacements he could have bought another amp....oh well ...enough rambling...I do not claim to know everything, but I am a geek about doing my homework and setting up a rig properly.

We all know that you would not blow them up if you used 3000 watts per box.:idea: Gotta squeeze every last db out of them ya know.

Wow! These guys are good!:facepalm:

• Members

How the heck is anybody blowing SB850's? Surely the audience would be writhing on the ground in agony before those suckers even blink.

See this kind of thing all the time. There are common themes though, and the 5000VZ is one of them. Lack of common sense is another.

The drivers are expensive to repair.

Archived