Shortlist for next guitar D15M, D18, D28, J15, J45

ClericLapton

• Members

Hello all,

I'm in the market for my next guitar. I am just entering "intermediate" level and I feel I'm outgrowing my starter guitar (a Yamaha). What I'm looking for is help with a shortlist of guitars up to around £2,000 or thereabouts. My current list is the D-15M, D18, D28, J15, J45 and 322e.

Out of interest, I've seen a store selling D15Ms for £999, which to be honest puts it at the top of the list, but I intend to try them all out back-to-back before I buy.

J45, D18 and D28 are probably a bit too extravagant, but I'll try them anyway.

I am playing bluegrass and rock for the most part.

Any other guitars I should consider?

Thanks.

• Members

Any of those are great guitars.   But they are rather different guitars - three Martin dreads in very different woods, a couple of classic Gibbies and the little short scale Taylor.   None of them would be my choice (I have an old D18 and an old D12-28 and never play them).  However if  you are going to play bluegrass those are the guitars to play.   Preferably an old one.

• Members

Thanks for all the answers guys. You're right about the Taylor. I just plonked a Taylor in there for comparison for now - to be honest, I've tried a few in the past and they don't really work for my ear although they are utterly gorgeous to hold.

The Yamaha looks like it's worth checking out. I didn't think it's worth going further down the Yamaha road, but the reviews are strong. But Guild and definitely Eastman are tough to find in the UK (I probably should have mentioned where I am).

• Members
2 hours ago, ClericLapton said:

The Yamaha looks like it's worth checking out. I didn't think it's worth going further down the Yamaha road, but the reviews are strong. But Guild and definitely Eastman are tough to find in the UK (I probably should have mentioned where I am).

I mentioned the Yamaha LL16 because a guy was waxing lyrically about it in another thread. Yamaha guitars are often the go-to brand for beginners and their top end models are usually overlooked which is a shame because they are often very good indeed (not that budget Yamahas are crap - I've never played a poor Yamaha).

If you are in the UK you could do worse than check out the top end Tanglewood guitars - they are amongst the best sounding guitars I've played. And if you are lucky enough to come across one of their early (~ 1990 - 1995) models (eg. Earth 500, Earth 1000) you could be in for a real treat.

https://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/

PS. Welcome to the forum (there are not many UK forumites here).

• Members

For Eastmans in the UK, I would look for Richards Guitars in Avon. I've watched videos of the guy on YT, and Richard is positively ga-ga for Eastmans. His store will also setup your guitar to your specs. His prices are competitive. The Guild, you can get at Thomann.de.

• Members
On 11/18/2019 at 2:28 PM, ClericLapton said:

Hello all,

I'm in the market for my next guitar. I am just entering "intermediate" level and I feel I'm outgrowing my starter guitar (a Yamaha). What I'm looking for is help with a shortlist of guitars up to around £2,000 or thereabouts. My current list is the D-15M, D18, D28, J15, J45 and 322e.

Out of interest, I've seen a store selling D15Ms for £999, which to be honest puts it at the top of the list, but I intend to try them all out back-to-back before I buy.

J45, D18 and D28 are probably a bit too extravagant, but I'll try them anyway.

I am playing bluegrass and rock for the most part.

Any other guitars I should consider?

Thanks.

The Gibson j45 and the martin d28 are amazing choices. Take my word. for it. I have J45 and I paid 700 bucks for it new back in the 90's. A buddy of mlne has s D 28. Different animals. Both are killer. My next acoustic will be a 00028.

Archived