Best Light-weight Powered Sub?

• Members

Hi, I have two QSC HPR122i and I'm looking for a lightweight sub to pair with them. I'll be using this PA for a soft rock / acoustic band, but I might try to rent/run the system for DJs on the side as well. Because I'll be moving it around so much, some of which will be by myself, I need a sub that is lightweight and compact. I'm trying to decide between the QSC Ksub and the JBL Eon 518S. If you have any suggestions for any other subs please let me know.

Thanks!

• Members

Neither of them subs get much love here. If you really only want one sub maybe a PRX618S or PRX618S-XLF would do? If you can wait a month the new QSC KW181 might be good too. A pair of Proel Flash15SA's might be a better choice as each one is lighter than a decent single 18" sub.

• Members

Hey thanks for the advice. I actually have two JBL PRX518S that I'm trying to sell right now. I'm moving to colorado and I can't fit them in my car. Plus, they've always been a bit too bulky and heavy to move by myself without killing my back. I'm toning down my music from a dance/hip hop band to a soft rock acoustic band, so I figure a smaller lighter sub would fit the bill.

The pair of JBL PRX518s I have weigh 79 pounds, which isn't that heavy, but they are so bulky that it makes them very hard to pick up by myself. So I'm looking for something smaller and lighter. Therefore I'd narrowed it down to the QSC Ksub and the JBL eon518S, but you say they don't get much love? Would you have any other suggestions for a compact lightweight sub?

Thanks!

• Members

Thanks, I hadn't really given 15 in. subs much consideration. The Yorkville 720P looks nice. It's about 3 inches less in height width and depth, and only 5 pounds less than the PRX518S that I have. I'm not sure if this is a significant enough difference in size/weight to justify buying it in favor of my PRX518S. Would you recommend any other smaller/lighter 15 inch subs?

I know that not everyone here likes the JBL EON518s or the QSC Ksub, but can someone please explain why these are not good subwoofers? Is there any reason why one of these subs would not work for my application?

Thanks

• Members

Thanks, I hadn't really given 15 in. subs much consideration. The Yorkville 720P looks nice. It's about 3 inches less in height width and depth, and only 5 pounds less than the PRX518S that I have. I'm not sure if this is a significant enough difference in size/weight

Thanks

I don't think any sub worth it's salt, is going to be an easy one-man carry. That said, I find the handles well placed on the LS720p, and I have a fairly easy time lifting these in or out of the back seat of my car, and I'm 62. I use a folding/collapsible hand-truck for load-in/load-out.(Costco)

For a sub this size/weight, the LS720p is a really fine sounding sub. :thu: The smaller subs just don't do it for me, but that depends on how much volume/spl you need I suppose.

• Members

Plus, they've always been a bit too bulky and heavy to move by myself without killing my back.

The pair of JBL PRX518s I have weigh 79 pounds, which isn't that heavy, but they a...e so bulky that it makes them very hard to pick up by myself.

Holy moley, those ARE light subs already! I finally sold my 117# very awkward to lift LS808Bs and my back is MUCH happier. I could barely get them in & out of the trailer to dolly them. Yes, 80# is a bit for one but EASY with a little assistance and still doable for one. If you lived near me, I'd have bought them from you ;>(

Boomerweps

• Members

I don't know what you will find that is lighter than the PRX that you will be happy with. I got a single PRX718 and I agree it is hard for one guy to carry, namely to get your arms comfortably around it. One the factors in my decision was the weight and the PRX stuff was among the lightest.

• Members

would you have any other suggestions for a compact lightweight sub?

Did you miss my suggestion of the Proel Flash15SA? A bit smaller and lighter at 70 lbs and has casters on it. I have a couple pairs of 15" subs with 500wrms drivers in them that weigh 50 lbs each but they are passive - plus no longer made :( . They do pretty good off a bridged RMX1450 :cool: .

Someone here bought a pair of the passive version of this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390219234805&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

probably about 375 wrms each and 47 lbs. I suspect they aren't quite as good as your original choices though (Ksub or Eon) .

• Members

I've got the PRX 518S subs. I don't know how you can get any more light weight than those and still have decent performance. I find that the placement of the handles make them easy to lift in and out of a car by myself and to carry short distances by myself. But I don't know that ANY sub is really meant to be a one-man deal.

• Members

hmm after all the comments I'm wondering if I should just sell one of my PRX518S and keep the other one. That would be a lot more maneagable than having two, and it sounds like this sub is already about as lightweight as it gets without losing quality. I guess the real problem is that I'm trying to free up some room in my car and these things are huge. I noticed that the PRX618S is 9 pounds lighter and has 100 watts more power, for the same price. WTF? how did I miss that?? Did this come out after the PRX518s or something?

Archived