FCC to protect wireless mics

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice - so folks had to purchase new microphones which now may or may not be in the safe white space thus making them at risk for obsolescence sooner rather than later because there is now a safe harbor. That means there likely won't be any more lobbying from wireless makers to slow down the auctioning off of the rest of the space.

It would have been nice if this was coordinated with the banning of the 700 Mhz block so folks could make "future proof" purchases instead of spinning another roulette wheel.

• Members

First two channels above or below channel 37 depending on current service in your area. After you have filled those channels you may spill to other non-occupied channels, but you MUST fill the first two prior to that.

Seems that this helps large providers that can register for protection. It also helps really small scale operations that need a channel or two of wireless. It does not seem to be a lot of help for those of us that need a dozen channels regularly in different venues every weekend. Too large to fit easily in two channels by the time you account for IM, and too small to register for protection.

So i get to fill two channels and then hope for the best between all other wireless devices, both current and future that can/will fill the other frequencies.

• Members

First two channels above or below channel 37 depending on current service in your area. After you have filled those channels you may spill to other non-occupied channels, but you MUST fill the first two prior to that.

That's not how I read it:

http://www.apap365.org/ACTION/Advocacy/Pages/white_spaces.aspx

You do have to fill up those two channels and all other channels available to you that are not open to whitespace devices before you can register usage in the whitespace database to protect your frequencies from whitespace device interference and you can only do that for specific events.

• Members

What else will not be open to whitespace devices in the future OTHER than the "protected" bands?

Let me tell all of you that it's going to be worse of a free for all than it's ever been.

This also means that all the wireless that I have installed (several hundred) will no longer be used because they are (in my case) above channel 37 by some margin???

I feel something mighty uncomfortable approaching my backside and it's got f*ck me written all over it. Now we are talking about in my case hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product that will have to be replaced... not sure if that approaching feeling is from good 'ol FCC or the manufacturers who stand to benefit from this JUST LIKE THE 700MHZ debacle.

I feel like puking.

• Members

That's not how I read it:

I don't know what you read differently. I read that link and have followed the LAB discussions from Henry Cohen and others. I am aware that you can only register specific events (unless maybe you are Madison Square Garden with clout and constantly need large numbers of units that never need to move.)

Small timers are screwed if you need more than a few channels.

• Members

Anybody even seen one yet? Didn't think so
;)

That is not the point. I think that when a government agency decides that they can license spectrum for exclusive use as they done, the time is at hand to change government in response. I am more disturbed by this loss of spectrum than I am socialized medicine. I will remember every official that supports this trend when I go into a voting booth from here out.

The government should be required to reimburse every dollar of purchase price to every single user in the US that has any wireless gear out of any cash returns to Washington. I want full compensation for all my IEMS, wireless mics, antenna combiners, antennas, coax, support software, scanners, etc. In effect, if washington wants to "rent" the channels to someone, they ought to have to "buy" them back from the people that invested in their use.

I am sick of this and intend to FUND any politician who fights this trend.

• Members

Well, to steal very poorly somebody from prosoundweb:

We've been illegally squatting on this space for decades now, and the free ride is coming to an end.

Which is not to say that it doesn't suck. But it's not like we've paid for this space the way broadcasters and cell phone operators have, and money is what talk in this debate.

• Members

I have no issue with those facts. I did squat on the channels, as did a few hundred thousand others. I also don't give a damn about broadcasters, cell phone operators, broadband access or any of the other crap they want these channels for. Nothing is more important to me in this argument than the status of MY gear. I don't care about anyone's call phone, computer access, or any other toys people have. I want my wireless gear to work, and I won't forget the people that enable the FCC to prevent that from happening. Nothing else trumps this issue in my voting booth. To hell with Verizon, white space manufacturers, internet access companies ,etc.

• Members

Channels below 21 (the UHF ones are 470-512 MHz) that are not in use by TV stations are not available to whitespace devices so are as "safe" to use as they ever were.

Yes today, until the FCC decides they want to rent a few more channels out.

And it doesn't help that when I had to trash all my 700 mhz gear, I bought all new gear that operates between mid 500s to upper 600's. Now I am suppose to throw that away again after a year or use? No damn way.

• Members
And it doesn't help that when I had to trash all my 700 mhz gear, I bought all new gear that operates between mid 500s to upper 600's. Now I am suppose to throw that away again after a year or use? No damn way.

No, you can continue to use it. Actually I'd reckon you're more likely to be interfered with by another wireless mic/IEM/instrument user than a legal whitespace device for some years to come.

• Members

True that! The FCC is actually legalizing yous guys and GIVING you spectrum, not taking any away. My stuff has always been legal
:p

The spectrum they are giving away is not enough to do anything with. Further, the status of your gear means absolutely nothing to me.

I dropped $10K+ on replacement gear in the last 24 months from the 700mhz disaster. That is what matters to me. I won't ever buy replacements again. I will instead write checks to support those that fight the FCC.

I am fundamentally opposed to the right of any commercial/private entity to exclusively rent spectrum. You can't come up with a single use I would support. I won't continue to debate here. I will debate in my Congressman's office next week. Once you provide spectrum for public safety, no one else ought to be allowed to control spectrum for any reason. NONE!!

• Members

No, you can continue to use it. Actually I'd reckon you're more likely to be interfered with by another wireless mic/IEM/instrument user than a legal whitespace device for some years to come.

I know that. I will be retired from live sound before this issue is finalized. My gear will probably wear out before it becomes illegal. The last change took 10 years. I am arguing because I believe this to be a fundamentally wrong activity, just like unethical medical testing of a citizenry without their knowledge or consent, or discrimination, etc. I believe this concept of licensing spectrum to be something that OUGHT to be made illegal.

• Members
Once you provide spectrum for public safety, no one else ought to be allowed to control spectrum for any reason. NONE!!

TV stations shouldn't "control" the channel they are on? Cell phone carriers shouldn't "control" the spectrum they use? That just wouldn't work out - I'll assume you have a cell phone and are thereby financially "supporting" your carrier's "rental/control" of the spectrum they use? Guess you could start your vendetta against spectrum control by refusing to pay your cell phone bill ;) .

• Members

Well, to steal very poorly somebody from prosoundweb:

We've been illegally squatting on this space for decades now, and the free ride is coming to an end.

I wonder if a case for public domain, like an easment, could be made? I believe that if you reside on any piece of property for a long enough period, you have a right to continue doing so (squatters rights?)

Is there an industry lobby which can put this argument into the public forum? If there is, I'm sure they're not as capitialised as the boradcasters and communication giants (it's usualy the biggest money that wins - ignoring the scales of justice (just as well she's wearing a blindfold isn't it?)).

• Members

I don't use a cell phone. I found when I did have one that I averaged about 45 seconds a month on it. I don't believe those entities should control the spectrum. I stand by that statement. I avoid TV stations because they have enough power to walk on my signal. Big transmitters are all they need. I avoid radar here for the same reasons. I should not have to avoid them because they rent the spectrum.

Right you are, I don't support the wireless phone carriers. I avoid them.

• Members

I told you so, I told you so, I told you so and all I get is accused of being a fear monger. It is clearly spelled out in the FCC 2008 decision. The writing has been on the wall for quite a while.

Talk about spin ... how is going from 30 plus channels down to only two protected channels a victory? Yes, there may be more channels available but who knows how long you will be able to rely on them. It has always sounded like the guys selling horses not to worry ... those new fangled automobiles will never catch on.

The other writing that is on the wall is the FCC is going to cut even further in the next few years. It's called the National Broadband Plan. Google it.

Current core band TV wireless is rapidly becoming very difficult to deal with and will likely become unusable for most. So you get protected bands. Will your current units even tune to those bands? This all depends on where you are, but most people won't have radios that will be able to operate on both protected blocks. Yeah ... I'd be pretty pissed if I had just bought new units to replace my 700 MHz ones only to find that the new ones may not work very reliably soon.

• Members

Is there an opportunity for some sort of digital wireless? Could they have different channels with digital on the same wavelength? Just like different wifi signals? You set up each channel, match it to a receiver, and get it to work like that somehow?

With my phone say, it lists all the available wifi signals to choose from, and I pick one. Can a similar system be created for audio wireless ?

• Members

Don, I am 58 and expect to be doing this about another 4-5 years at most. I don't expect to see this move so fast that I will be replacing gear before I retire. I have spent my last dollar on wireless. My IEMs do work in the two channels allocated, but my mics don't. I may fill my two channels and use the spill over freq's and get by even if this snowballs faster than I expect.

My concern is not my future in the biz. I could walk away tomorrow since this business is a diversion for me. I have less than $100K tied up in it, so it doesn't make or break my life. It just irritates me. I would love to keep going for the next few years, but I will quit before I invest in anymore wireless replacement units.

I pity the folks that are young enough to have to live in this country for the next 50+ years. I have enjoyed my time, but I suspect the younger generation isn't going to have the same warm fuzzy feeling when they get old enough to look back.

Washington is so bad now that it makes me remember the Viet Nam war years fondly, if that tells you what I think of this administration.

Archived