Anyone have info on this MIJ LP Bass copy?

Chubbyirishman

• Moderators
  • Members

Thanks for the reply, daddymack. I haven’t had much time to spend with this bass yet, but from the few minutes I sat down with it, I was actually impressed with how it felt. Just plugged it in momentarily to make sure the electronics worked, but didn’t dial in any tones with it. For $50, I think I scored pretty good. I just couldn’t seem to find much info on it. Glad to know it was made at the Matsumoku plant though.

• Members

I can't add anything but welcome aboard and Happy New Bass Day. :thu: It should be a nice player after some TLC. It looks like the bridge needs to be replaced and some general cleaning up but that's about all. Why can't I ever find bargains like that? ;)

Just wondering if anyone is familiar with this bass at all. I picked it up today for $50 and I can’t seem to find much info on it.

I'm not sure if this applies to all models, but according to this old HC thread...

https://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Bass/acapella-17/437943-

....many DIA basses were MIJ in the Matusumoku factory. There's a possible connection / association between DIA and Diamond / Aria.

Yours has the expected MIJ on the neck plate, but doesn't say Matusumoku or have a serial number on it, which doesn't mean it wasn't made there, but it does make it more questionable IMO.

Have you tried checking inside the control cavity to see if there are any codes on the potentiometers? If there are codes on the pots, they can often be helpful in dating the instrument.

Archived