I need a PA for a 2 piece extra spicy rock 'n' roll band

• Members
335BoB does seem to be in a bad mood. I am still sticking with my original suggestion no matter how much he claims I am wrong. What I am suggesting will be a very usable and capable of being usable for a long time. If buying the minimum for current needs and then buying the minimum for next years needs and then the minimum for the year after that makes sense to you then feel free to call me wrong. When the OP ends up with the same system I am suggesting now after years of wasting money without a longterm plan he can thank you. It is the short sightedness of myself that makes me say this. I wasted literally 10s of thousands of dollars on the

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I do understand that sometimes it seems we are more like used car salesmen then concerned about the original question. Sometimes used is a better path. You can get higher quality gear and ultimately a better sound and performance. In the 1990s we spent over $25,000 on our FOH system. It was a huge, loud, difficult to move system. Before that we probably spent $20,000 on gear that just sucked out of the gate. In one year in the early 80s we actually purchased three different FOH boards because we outgrew or just never liked the previous ones. Bad planning ended up costing us in the vicinity of $75,000 over the last 30 years. Our system now is right around $15,000 and sounds much better then the system from the 90s.

The suggestions I made were nowhere near top of the line stuff. The Mixwiz is simply a great board and I believe having extra (even a lot of extra) channels is a good thing. I

• Members

I agree that you can get the most for your money buying used and I believe it's always a good thing to point that out. I happen to like new stuff also and can sympathize with the OP for wanting to go new. I agree having more channels than you need is a great thing. As a current Solo/Duo I want a smaller board than the ZED12FX to "carry and setup". (I'm thinking small and portable and coming from a different mindset) I agree that the ZED has shortchanged the market calling that a "12FX". What a waste or real estste on that board with three (3) stereo channels. I've never seen such a thing! It happens to work for me with room to spare BUT if I NEEDED a few more channels (like the OP) "I" wouldn't want to lug around a 16 channel board. (Again, "my" mindset)

And lastly, I agree that there is no better for this arragement than a pair of good 12's (not one) over at least one good sub. So we pretty much agree on everything. :facepalm:

• Members

I agree that you can get the most for your money buying used and I believe it's always a good thing to point that out. I happen to like new stuff also and can sympathize with the OP for wanting to go new. I agree having more channels than you need is a great thing. As a current Solo/Duo I want a smaller board than the ZED12FX to "carry and setup". (I'm thinking small and portable and coming from a different mindset) I agree that the ZED has shortchanged the market calling that a "12FX". What a waste or real estste on that board with three (3) stereo channels. I've never seen such a thing! It happens to work for me with room to spare BUT if I NEEDED a few more channels (like the OP) "I" wouldn't want to lug around a 16 channel board. (Again, "my" mindset)

And lastly, I agree that there is no better for this arragement than a pair of good 12's (not one) over at least one good sub. So we pretty much agree on everything.
:facepalm:

I guess I really like the fact that the Mixwiz can be rack mounted. I also prefer to carry a single rack then individual units. Again, that

• Members

The reality is that the vast majority of duo acts run on a couple powered speakers on sticks. down here the place pretty well runs on solo and duo acts. If duo started hauling in subs and all that gear I would guess mgmt would be having a talk with them. They want fast load ins and out,, and want a small footprint and low volumes. You start violating those rules and you end up with issues with mgmt. Space is valuable and so is being able to hear yourself think.

• Members

The reality is that the vast majority of duo acts run on a couple powered speakers on sticks. down here the place pretty well runs on solo and duo acts. If duo started hauling in subs and all that gear I would guess mgmt would be having a talk with them. They want fast load ins and out,, and want a small footprint and low volumes. You start violating those rules and you end up with issues with mgmt. Space is valuable and so is being able to hear yourself think.

That

• Members

The MixWiz 16-2 AND 14-2 does. I can't vouch for all of the MixWiz mixers. The efx are "OK". Better than a MidiVerb 4, not nearly as good as a TC Electronics M-one XL
;)

Would the ZED with the TC Electronics M-one XL be better than the MixWiz?

Please, anyone can answer.

• Members

Would the ZED with the TC Electronics M-one XL be better than the MixWiz?

Please, anyone can answer.

As far as board FX are concerned, I personally use very little, maybe a smidge of reverb and/or delay.

As for "which mixer is "better", just look at the routing and i/o and decide which best addresses your needs

• Members

That's pretty much what I see here on Long Island. I have never seen a sub with a duo act and occasionally see an L1 but would do just as well with a pair on sticks without a sub.

• Members

As far as board FX are concerned, I personally use very little, maybe a smidge of reverb and/or delay.

As for "which mixer is "better", just look at the routing and i/o and decide which best addresses your needs

The ZED has very nice effects. I have no experience with outboard effects units. I can't see what the advantage over the effects on the ZED would be. I also use just a hint of delay mixed with reverb.

• Members

Visconti, give us the names of some of the tunes you are doing. It would probably help to understand the genre a little better. What is the guitar amp you are using? Sorry we should have probably asked this before we started going off on our tangents.

• Members
That's pretty much what I see here on Long Island. I have never seen a sub with a duo act and occasionally see an L1 but would do just as well with a pair on sticks without a sub.

I've done about 300 duo gigs the last 5 years and not a single one without at least a pair of subs.

• Members

Visconti, give us the names of some of the tunes you are doing. It would probably help to understand the genre a little better. What is the guitar amp you are using? Sorry we should have probably asked this before we started going off on our tangents.

The music is mostly original and is in the same ball park as The White Stripes, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones and Jimi Hendrix.

No bass player and just the two of us.

• Members

I've done about 300 duo gigs the last 5 years and not a single one without at least a pair of subs.

Another forum I go on has many duos and even trios using the Fishman SoloAmp with a small passive mixer. Some even using the BagAmp and others the Bose COMPACT. Lots using just a pair of K8's or K10's. Guess there's just something different about the guys on this forum.

• Members
Another forum I go on has many duos and even trios using the Fishman SoloAmp with a small passive mixer. Some even using the BagAmp and others the Bose COMPACT. Lots using just a pair of K8's or K10's. Guess there's just something different about the guys on this forum.

I don't think so. Maybe just different situations and needs. Do the duos you are referring to have drummers pounding out the stuff that these guys are doing? Big difference between what the OP (and my duo) are doing compared to a coffee house act.

• Members

I don't think so. Maybe just different situations and needs. Do the duos you are referring to have drummers pounding out the stuff that these guys are doing? Big difference between what the OP (and my duo) are doing compared to a coffee house act.

I guess I just have never seen a Duo act that was not a coffee house act.

I'll try to stop by when I'm in the area. :)

• Members

With keys, there'e a whole layer of low end that may be necessary to cover for no bass player. With small tops that might not come off too well.

Why are there so many keyboard players raving about K10's (and other speakers like that such as SxA360's) on the keyboard forums? Just asking.

Archived