I need a PA for a 2 piece extra spicy rock 'n' roll band

• Members

I play guitar, keyboards and sing. I have a drummer and they sing. I have a 100 watt amp I use mostly clean and a vast array of fuzz boxes and whatnot.

What would be a PA for rehersal and some live shows to cover our bases for under $2,000?

I'm thinking a couple of QSC K12's and an Allen & Heath ZED-12FX will do.

I also want to use the speakers as stage monitors when needed.

I appreciate all your recommendations.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Then you're pretty much set. You'll probably be happy with the K12's, I personally prefer the PRX's, but it's a matter of taste. The ZED is a good board, but the Mixwiz will take you a lot longer to outgrow. Run over to Audiopile for a couple of XLR's to connect the speakers with.

• Members

Then you're pretty much set. You'll probably be happy with the K12's, I personally prefer the PRX's, but it's a matter of taste. The ZED is a good board, but the Mixwiz will take you a lot longer to outgrow. Run over to
Audiopile
for a couple of XLR's to connect the speakers with.

Yeah that Mixwiz looks great and so does the JBL PRX's.

Thanks for the recommendation :thu:

• Members

I'd look used. That budget doesn't leave you money for a monitor or two, which you'll need, and a sub or two, which you'll probably want with keys and drums.

Oh I see, this is gonna cost $5,000!

I'm just gonna build this PA piece by piece and I only want new components.

I like this mixer and speakers.

282763.jpg

PRX612M-large.jpgPRX612M-large.jpg

• Members

Look for a used Mixwiz. I wouldnt have any problems with the Zed mixers. Pretty much no different now than the Mixwiz or lower line GL's. (Im talking internals) True, you may out grow it or may need a larger mixer for a large gig where a few extra musicans may join you. You could always rent a larger mixer too.

Another option could be a used Yamaha 01.

• Members

I have a ZED12FX and it's a great board. I am doing solo/duo gigs and have room to make it a TRio. If you are starting as a Trio you may want more. It's best to have at least 2 more inputs than you presently need. I don't believe the MixWiz has effects. Something to consider if you need effects. Built in effects is more portable for a small setup.

• Members

Why ask for advice when your mind is made up? Good luck hearing yourself without monitors.

I play Solo and Duo without monitors with no problems. I see most Solo/Duo and some Trios without monitors. Chances are the drummer will need at least one of those small monitors on a mic stand. Let him get it himself if he feels he needs it.

Also I bought 2 powered 12's EV's and a ZED12FX for $1800. BRAND NEW!!!

• Members

Why ask for advice when your mind is made up? Good luck hearing yourself without monitors.

Re-read the OP. He asked for a practice PA setup that could be used for monitors in the future. That's exactly what he's doing right now.

• Members

Give a little thought to the mics you are going to use (if you don't already have them). I like the ND767a. If you look on e-bay you can find these new for ~$75.00 which is a real bargain for such a great mic.

It is going to be VERY hard to beat the recommendations you have for the A&H mixer and the JBL PRX612m powered speakers. You should have a great sound.

I agree that subs will make a better rig; however, you can easily add them later when your budget allows it.

Another recommendation would be to get the TC Electronics M350 for ~ $200.00. You can get a fantastic vocal using this.

Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

• Members

Another thought, if there are only two of you, that's probably more mixer than you really need. You could probably find something for half that price that will give you two monitor mixes and 10 or 12 channels, which should be plenty.

• Members

I'd look used. That budget doesn't leave you money for a monitor or two, which you'll need, and a sub or two, which you'll probably want with keys and drums.

Its just a duo gig. They should be able to run that on a couple of powered speakers and a little FX mixer. Thow in a third powered speaker for a monitor if its in the budget and it should be fine. I think you are going way overkill on this deal

• Members

Its just a duo gig. They should be able to run that on a couple of powered speakers and a little FX mixer. Thow in a third powered speaker for a monitor if its in the budget and it should be fine. I think you are going way overkill on this deal

That's basically what I'm saying. Scale back on the mixer. Save a bit on the speakers perhaps by buying used, so that he has enough left over for a monitor, then maybe add a sub if he wants the low end from drums and keys.

• Members

Oh I see, this is gonna cost $5,000!

I'm just gonna build this PA piece by piece and I only want new components.

Check out AudioEast's "packages". FRankly, when I read your needs, you'd probably be fine with package #2, and even then, it may be overkill.

For band practice/rehearsals, I'm using a single Yorkville NX55p. I don't even bother hooking-up my subs (LS-720p's). I use a Soundcraft EFX-8 mixer for 3 vocal mics and an acoustic-elec guitar. We're not micing drums nor the bass cab, and we have channels to spare. The built-in FX sound very good too. (Lexicon)

Package #2 would give you a monitor, and a single speaker for FOH (if that's all you need), and you can add a sub if you feel you need it. You've even got stands and cables in that package, and only $2k.

http://www.audioeast.com/yorkvillesystems.htm

• Members

I do a duo thing and I couldn

Archived