I need a PA for a 2 piece extra spicy rock 'n' roll band

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Are the druns acoustic or electric? Will you be mic'ing the drums?

Check out AudioEast's "packages". FRankly, when I read your needs, you'd probably be fine with package #2, and even then, it may be overkill.

For band practice/rehearsals, I'm using a single Yorkville NX55p. I don't even bother hooking-up my subs (LS-720p's). I use a Soundcraft EFX-8 mixer for 3 vocal mics and an acoustic-elec guitar. We're not micing drums nor the bass cab, and we have channels to spare. The built-in FX sound very good too. (Lexicon)

Package #2 would give you a monitor, and a single speaker for FOH (if that's all you need), and you can add a sub if you feel you need it. You've even got stands and cables in that package, and only $2k.

http://www.audioeast.com/yorkvillesystems.htm

The drums are a simple acoustic set.

Thanks for the link to that website :thu:

• Members

What is better about the Allen & Heath MixWiz compared to the ZED?

Does the MixWiz have better eq's. mic pre's and effects?

The feature-set in the ZED series varies widely from board to board, so it depends on which ZED series board you're looking at. It's not so much about "sounding better" etc,,, it's more about routing options and control over your tracks. (number of auxes for monitor mixes, number of swept mids, HPF on all channels, polarity and phantom-power on individual channels, number of direct-outputs, etc.) IMO, the MixWiz is a steal, considering all it offers, and how well it performs. You have to ask yourself though, are all of these features of any use for your particular application.

• Members

You have to ask yourself though, are all of these features of any use for your particular application.

I second this. Sure, the MixWiz is feature-packed, but in discussions over the mixer, we are missing some other valuable points.

1) A few people have reccommended a Sub. I echo this sentiment. Also with a sub you can look at smaller top-boxes. 2 x QSC K10s + Qsub seems a popular combination on these boards.

2) A few people have mentioned you may want foldback. At practice your mains are pointed at you, but in a live situation they will point away from you. How are you going to hear your vocals above the drums and your 100 watt amp ?????

3) The MixWiz is really FAR in excess of your requirements. With 2 vox 2 keys 1 guitar that's 5 inputs. Mic the kick or use e-drums, add second guitar or bass... 8 inputs. If I were you, I'd get the Zed12FX and put the money towards 1) Subs or 2) monitors. The Zed12FX will allow you 2 seperate monitor mixes, has onboard effects, and does all you could need, even if you got a third member in your group.

You mentioned you may want to use mains as monitors in the future.... but have you considered IEMs ? Portability + no bleed = WIN

I reccomend Zed12FX, and for speakers, if your budget can stretch to QSC speakers (K10s + Ksub) then you will have a system most of us here would be quite happy with for a duo or even trio.

• Members

I play guitar, keyboards and sing. I have a drummer and they sing. I have a 100 watt amp I use mostly clean and a vast array of fuzz boxes and whatnot.

What would be a PA for rehersal and some live shows to cover our bases for under $2,000?

I'm thinking a couple of QSC K12's and an Allen & Heath ZED-12FX will do.

I also want to use the speakers as stage monitors when needed.

I appreciate all your recommendations.

I'm wodering how many in this discussion regularly play as a Duo/Trio.

On the one had a 16 XLR channel board is being recommended. On the other hand a board with 6 XLR inputs. (Yes the ZED12FX has 6 XLR's) and the keys can use a stereo input. I count 3 vocal mics and keys (which the OP has said is mainly piano and some organ. NO SYNTH!) No bass or drums or guitar in the PA. I have read the piano players are extremely satisfied with powered 12's with NEVER a mention of subs. K12's, SxA360's and actually Eons come to mind. There is no reason to keep suggesting a sub and a 16 channel board for this small group. The MixWiz is twice the price of the ZED12FX. (The OP already said he wants to go NEW) The PRX apparently has some good low end. The OP has also set a budget yet everyone is putting him $1000 or more over budget.

Ah, nevermind!

• Members

I'm wodering how many in this discussion regularly play as a Duo/Trio.

On the one had a 16 XLR channel board is being recommended. On the other hand a board with 6 XLR inputs. (Yes the ZED12FX has 6 XLR's) and the keys can use a stereo input. I count 3 vocal mics and keys (which the OP has said is mainly piano and some organ. NO SYNTH!) No bass or drums or guitar in the PA. I have read the piano players are extremely satisfied with powered 12's with NEVER a mention of subs. K12's, SxA360's and actually Eons come to mind. There is no reason to keep suggesting a sub and a 16 channel board for this small group. The MixWiz is twice the price of the ZED12FX. (The OP already said he wants to go NEW) The PRX apparently has some good low end. The OP has also set a budget yet everyone is putting him $1000 or more over budget.

Ah, nevermind!

I couldn't agree more. It's amazing how even advice can get G.A.S. :facepalm:

• Members

Then perhaps the "extra spicy R&R
BAND
" may be misleading. I see band and, silly me, I imagine more than a duo. I think that may be why folks are thinking more.

Good point. I tried very hard to make sure I read the post carefully. That's the second time this week I missed THE TITLE!

Third post does say 2 mics and keys and later says keys is piano mainly. Although as a guitarist myself I shudder at the thought of a 100 watt amp.

• Members

Good point. I tried very hard to make sure I read the post carefully. That's the second time this week I missed THE TITLE!

Third post does say 2 mics and keys and later says keys is piano mainly. Although as a guitarist myself I shudder at the thought of a 100 watt amp.

The band only has 2 members.

I need 2 or 3 vocal mics and an input for 2 keyboards.

• Members

He is micing drums and vocals. This system has to compete with a 100 watt guitar amp and various fuzz pedals. A sub might not be required but nonetheless, I consider a sub necessary. If there is no concern about sound quality then there are lots of options. If the OP wants the keys and drums to be heard over the guitar he needs a decent (not great) system. This is a small group but it is a loud group.

As a matter of fact, I do play in a duo (bass, guitar 2 vocals) and a trio (bass, guitar, drums, 2 vocals). I assume the piano is electronic so that will need to be in FOH and monitors. OK skip the monitors but you still have a duo that can get loud that uses a 100 watt guitar amp with a variety of pedals. I still don

• Members

He is micing drums and vocals. This system has to compete with a 100 watt guitar amp and various fuzz pedals. A sub might not be required but nonetheless, I consider a sub necessary. If there is no concern about sound quality then there are lots of options. If the OP wants the keys and drums to be heard over the guitar he needs a decent (not great) system. This is a small group but it is a loud group.

As a matter of fact, I do play in a duo (bass, guitar 2 vocals) and a trio (bass, guitar, drums, 2 vocals). I assume the piano is electronic so that will need to be in FOH and monitors. OK skip the monitors but you still have a duo that can get loud that uses a 100 watt guitar amp with a variety of pedals. I still don

• Members

Mr. Visconti,

Please give us all the details. Now it's 2 keyboards.

Style of band and music played?

Type of gigs and rooms?

How loud is loud?

Are you mic'ing the drums?

Are you mic'ing that 100 watt guitar amp? (Why are you using a 100 watt guitar amp?)

Anything else you think we should know?

• Members

He is micing drums and vocals.

When people talk keyboards here they usually are talking stereo so the way I see it,
the OP might need two or more channels for guitar
(if using a clean and dirty channel) two keyboards might need 4 channels, drums will need, at a minimum kick and snare but usually can get nice coverage with 4 mics.

I didn't say mic'ing a guitar!

• Members

Problem is, venues and crowd size (and behaviour) varies wildly. Very different from a practice room where you can get by with a single top, and not mic'ing the drums.

Suddenly, you find yourself in a noisy bar, and you wanna throw a mic on the kick and snare,,, maybe an overhead or two,,,.

Point is, I think it's really important to consider future needs when purchasing gear. Look into a system that you can evolve, rather than taking a beating on reselling and re-purchasing. Nothing wrong with a lil' over-capacity IMO.

I started out looking for a solo acoustic-guitar/vox PA. Occasionally, a buddy or two may join in. After considering the great advice I got here, I started out with a pair of NX55p's, a pair of LS-720p subs, and a 16ch MixWiz3 16;2. We're now jamming with electric bass, guitars, and mic'ing a 6-piece acoustic drum-kit. Sure, it's overkill for the solo/duo thing, and I've added a second pair of NX55p's and four EF500pb's. We're ready for virtually any situation that can possibly crop-up. Stuff like that happens.

Mind you, I've also got a Soundcraft EFX-8, which is just a great lil' mixer for the solo/duo thing, but, I also bought that mixer as a possible sub-mixer for my MixWiz, in the event that we need more than 16 channels.

Bottom line; think ahead,,, buy with a "plan for growth"

• Members

• Members

Problem is, venues and crowd size (and behaviour) varies wildly. Very different from a practice room where you can get by with a single top, and not mic'ing the drums.

Suddenly, you find yourself in a noisy bar, and you wanna throw a mic on the kick and snare,,, maybe an overhead or two,,,.

Point is, I think it's really important to consider future needs when purchasing gear. Look into a system that you can evolve, rather than taking a beating on reselling and re-purchasing. Nothing wrong with a lil' over-capacity IMO.

I started out looking for a solo acoustic-guitar/vox PA. Occasionally, a buddy or two may join in. After considering the great advice I got here, I started out with a pair of NX55p's, a pair of LS-720p subs, and a 16ch MixWiz3 16;2. We're now jamming with electric bass, guitars, and mic'ing a 6-piece acoustic drum-kit. Sure, it's overkill for the solo/duo thing, and I've added a second pair of NX55p's and four EF500pb's. We're ready for virtually any situation that can possibly crop-up. Stuff like that happens.

Mind you, I've also got a Soundcraft EFX-8, which is just a great lil' mixer for the solo/duo thing, but, I also bought that mixer as a possible sub-mixer for my MixWiz, in the event that we need more than 16 channels.

Bottom line; think ahead,,, buy with a "plan for growth"

EVERY suggestion HAS been with a good plan for growth. I don't think anyone has suggested anything that wouldn't potentially be part of a larger more complex system if need be. It's just that some would rather that growth be immediate.

Obviously the OP is not looking to go the big route.

• Members

EVERY suggestion HAS been with a good plan for growth. I don't think anyone has suggested anything that wouldn't potentially be part of a larger more complex system if need be. It's just that some would rather that growth be immediate.

Obviously the OP is not looking to go the big route.

Bob,

You might wanna try backing-off that hair-trigger of yours a few notches. I was talking to the OP,,, not commenting on anyone elses' post.

• Members

Bob,

You might wanna try backing-off that hair-trigger of yours a few notches. I was talking to the OP,,, not commenting on anyone elses' post.

335BoB does seem to be in a bad mood. I am still sticking with my original suggestion no matter how much he claims I am wrong. What I am suggesting will be a very usable and capable of being usable for a long time. If buying the minimum for current needs and then buying the minimum for next years needs and then the minimum for the year after that makes sense to you then feel free to call me wrong. When the OP ends up with the same system I am suggesting now after years of wasting money without a longterm plan he can thank you. It is the short sightedness of myself that makes me say this. I wasted literally 10s of thousands of dollars on the

Archived