How many monitors?

• Members

I carry 4 EV FM 1202ERs and two JBL SR4706As when I work with someone other than my normal band who has IEMs. All 6 of them are old school and heavy as hell, but they sound good. The EVs were a workhorse to many companies for years. The JBLs handle massive power and I love them, but they weigh as much as my EV QRX212s do. I don't worry when asked to put some kick or bass in the monitors though (within reason of course.)

• Members

I use 3 or 4 Yamaha CM15V, along with a Yorkville EF500p for a drum monitor.

For most bands I work with I can get away with running 2-mixes up front on either 3-4 CM15V and another seperate mix for the drummer with the EF500P.

When I get a band that has keys or a guitar player going direct I end up going with 4 mixes, when this happens I replace one of my CM15V with a powered EV SXA250.

It's very funny when you try to explain to most bands what a *seperate mix* is, they usually give you that deer in the headlights look and just say "as long as I can hear the vocals I am fine".......then I sit there and wonder why the {censored} am I going through all the trouble to give them so many seperat mixes!

• Members

Carried 4 but I haul the trailer. Figured a heavy 4 channel amp and a bunch of over weight monitors could go. Got a Peavey IPR & some SX-300's and told them they can buy & haul their own monitors or get IEM's... they are fine with my two monitor mix now. I catered too much to people who asked too much and provided so little.

• Members

Ha! I hope you call me if you want to unload those, JBL SR4706As. Maybe I won't miss out like I did on the EAW's

I carry 4 EV FM 1202ERs and two JBL SR4706As when I work with someone other than my normal band who has IEMs. All 6 of them are old school and heavy as hell, but they sound good. The EVs were a workhorse to many companies for years. The JBLs handle massive power and I love them, but they weigh as much as my EV QRX212s do. I don't worry when asked to put some kick or bass in the monitors though (within reason of course.)

• Members

Between 8 and 12 of the SRX-712's (biamped) and a custom drum box.

None of the local providers I've seen and many that I've read about don't bother to biamp the 712. Do you do it for sound improvement reasons or to fulfill biamped rider requirements?

Just curious, Winston.

• Members

I have access to 10 microwedges with up to six mono-amped mixes. I usually use 4-5, but could get away with four, and prefer to have a pair on the lead vocalist (doing mostly country band).

Of course, this is other people's money and they live at the venue, so...

• Members

Ouch, you must be Superman's nephew or somethin' ;). I have a couple FM1202's I'm trying to sell for a band that got sick of humping them around but folks up here aren't interested in them - guess we grow 'em wimpy up here :lol:. Maybe if I remove the drivers they'll be light enough to use as permanent boat moorings :freak:.

• Members

It's very funny when you try to explain to most bands what a *seperate mix* is, they usually give you that deer in the headlights look and just say "as long as I can hear the vocals I am fine".......then I sit there and wonder why the {censored} am I going through all the trouble to give them so many seperat mixes!

Particularly funny since we are in a "high tech" area here. Yah, there seems to be two extremes here - either one mix into two monitors is what they are used to or everybody wants their own monitor, preferably with a separate mix :freak:. I keep trying to get around to modding my old Mackie to three pre and one post as two is never "just right" unless it's a one guitar no keys 3 or 4 piece band. I've never run five but if I did it would be:

USR (keys), USC (drummer)

DSR (RG, Bass), DSC (Singers), DSL (LG)

On four I'll usually end up with only one upstage mix.

• Members

That's your "normal" portable rig
:freak:
? .

It would be more fair to say this equipment belongs to a small light/sound/AV company where I am the audio dept manager. The numbers aren't necessarily a "normal portable rig" but rather maximum numbers before having to cross-rent.

• Members

Six home made Eminence loaded 12" 2-ways and two Carvin/Eminence loaded 12" 2-ways. I built the first six in the garage over the course of a winter a couple years ago. They sound quite good for what they are and they see frequent use as small mains. I have the ability to run 8 seperate mixes but have not exceeded four yet.

• Members

None of the local providers I've seen and many that I've read about don't bother to biamp the 712. Do you do it for sound improvement reasons or to fulfill biamped rider requirements?

Just curious, Winston.

A little better performance, standardization of all racks and cabling, and to fill rider requirements. IMO, the 712's sound quite good not biamping.

• Members

10 proprietary 12+1" wedges, 6x eminence delta/22xt and 4x EWI 12"/22xt loaded, 2 older PV 115tlms with EWI 15/22xt, 5 proprietary EWI 15/22xt loaded (those are realy heavy and get used 3-4 times a year and make excellent loud mains). Tomorrows shows use 5x PS121s and 1 PV, the other uses 3 PS121's and 1 PV (drum fill). All are passive, all pole mountable for use as mains. I need 6 more and to sell off the largest 15/1".

Archived