How many monitors?

• Members

Four Yorkville NX350's. If dollars and space permit, I'll bring a Unity U15 for a drum monitor. I've got two Yorkville E160P's and two Yorkville e210's for emergency extra mixes, and a few other odds and ends like an NX25P. Generally, I would just pass if I'm asked for more than four (or at most five) mixes. For me, it's supposed to be fun not work - well except for the loading... that's never fun.

I'm playing a gig tonight where I'm using an eight inch speaker (NX84) for my monitor. For me, light weightt is better these days.

• Members

I used the crossover and 22xt's from some 112ti's I bought 6-7 years ago. They are fairly robust, get loud and somewhat inexpensive to replace diaphrams with. I know the parts will be around for eternity since there are TONs of 22xt's out there. I think the rating is either 30-40watts RMS @ 500hz 12db/oct, goes up from there. Peavey has used this in all sorts of models and the wedges I have are crossed at 2.2K 12db (LF slope)/18db (HF slope). Biamped I crossed at 1.9 24dB LR in some mains that have that driver. Usually 1 or 2 per channel of a behringer EP1500 (260 @ 8, 450 @ 4).

• Members

Which model? What do you think of them?

the 1542s. They are fine for what they are. They are decent, but they don't push well, especially on the low end. And they are pretty heavy and large. They make for a really good rehersal PA. But they don't compare to my MRX-512s.

• Members
the 1542s. They are fine for what they are. They are decent, but they don't push well, especially on the low end. And they are pretty heavy and large.

Yah, those are up there with the FM1202's :freak:.

They make for a really good rehersal PA. But they don't compare to my MRX-512s.

I'm trying to figure out why they still sell the MRX512M's as they are only $50 less than the PRX612M's ?

• Members

Can run four mixes (GL2400-24) but normally just two mixes. I use two Yorkville E210Bs for front line monitors, same mix. Found one used Yorkville NX20 cheap, then found a second and switched to them for my drum mix, shared with the bassist. These replaced 2 Yamaha SM12IVs which I liked a lot but were heavier than the NX20s. The Yammys were used as partial trade along with a PLX1804 for some Mackie SR1530s (for a secondary SOS rig, minus the stands ;>). Two different monitor sets is enough. Monitor amp is a PLX2402. Extra mix 3 & 4 would be powered by a GX3. Have some IEMs but they get seldom used. If the stage front area is at a premium, I drop the bassist's monitor and place the E210Bs vertically on stands behind the main stacks for side firing monitors.

Boomerweps

• Members

Yah, those are up there with the FM1202's
:freak:

We're using four EV FM1502s. If we need to run a center fill, we flip one of those on its side and face it out into the audience, and use a modified Line 6 bass amp for the drummer's monitor. We made custom fronts for them with some burlap wrapped around the metal to help with spillage/etc.

The 1502s make me laugh because they're literally almost the same size as our subwoofers (Meyer USW1). Here's one being used as a center fill in front of the drum riser:

1715s.jpg

We offer four mixes unless a band needs six at which point we can disable the internal effects on the MixWiz and use those channels. Center fill either gets its own mix (when available) or we run the same mix as in the mains.

• Members

For national acts, follow the rider.

As a rule though, between 8 & 12 should be sufficient. Make sure you have AT LEAST a couple of wedges that will handle kick & bass well (for the drummer & bass player usualy). A drum sub or a dedicated drum fill (like 2X15"+horn) is a good idea if you're doing a lot of high volume R&R. It really depends on the group. I've done 4 mixes but used 8 wedges because everyone spec'd X2 (Personaly I think it's probably a "me too" thing but.....). Depending on the stage, sometimes a couple of good sidefills can cover things that wedges alone can't do well (like a traveling vocalist). This can compromise your FOH mix though so be careful.

another .02 in the slot

• Members

And this actually brings up another related question. Who uses side fills (where and when)and what do you prefer? Are you just pole mounting a wedge or is there a specific cabinet you use. For drummer/bass wedges, anything special you do for that?

Any specific problem encountered with side fills or drummer/bass wedges that you don't deal with on "normal" wedges.

• Members

And this actually brings up another related question. Who uses side fills (where and when)and what do you prefer? Are you just pole mounting a wedge or is there a specific cabinet you use. For drummer/bass wedges, anything special you do for that?

Any specific problem encountered with side fills or drummer/bass wedges that you don't deal with on "normal" wedges.

When the stage is shallow, it can help a lot. The sidefill monitors I use are stand monted behind the FOH stacks (usually Yorkville E210Bs). I have used "Texas Headphones" a couple times outdoors for the drummer on a large stage. In my case, that has been 2 matching 12" 2-ways on stands to either side of the drummer (Yamaha SM12IV or Yorkville NX20s).

No problems of note, although side addressing the vocal mics does make for feedback concerns that can be dealt with.

Mike McNany

Archived