Help deciding! Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute vs Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro

waltchwarzkopf

• Members

Hi guys,

I am looking into my first Les Paul guitar and from all the options locally and online I have narrowed it down to two options:

• Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute 2016 – 795CHF online or 900CHF locally

Link http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/2016/USA/Les-Paul-50s-Tribute.aspx#LPST5HTSECH3

• Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro – 375CHF online or 580 locally

Link http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-2014-Les-Paul-Traditional-PRO.aspx

A few months ago, I went to a shop, tried a Gibson Les Paul Classic 2016 just out of curiosity, and really liked the sound, looks (ebony with zebra pickups and metal machine heads) and the feel of a “shorter” scale length guitar (I own a Strat and an Ibanez, both on 25.5in); however, 2190CHF is out of my budget. I play classic rock and hard rock at home through a 15W Marshall Combo just for fun, I play 1-2 hours a days and maybe more on the weekends. I do not gig nor go to a studio for band practice. The Epiphone above looks exactly like the Classic I tried back then.

I have heard/read that the difference between two “identical” Gibsons is more noticeable than among two “identical” Epiphones. To be honest, I do not know if I would notice. I say this because I was thinking about trying locally and buying online to save money, but if the aforementioned is true (and if I notice) I may not get the guitar that I played and liked. No store here has both models on stock, so I can not play them side by side and compare. I have tried the Epiphone at one shop and I really liked it, big chunky neck, matt back with porous neck, nice sound; I did not care much for the coil splitting so I may not use it at all or change it to series/parallel. Is it true that humbucker in parallel gives a sound similar to a P90? The best store here has a lot of Gibsons but not that specific model; I’ve tried many other models (Classic, Studio, Studio Custom, Special, Standard) and even models with the same pickup combo (490R & 498T) and I do like the sound. However, I cannot compare them side by side with the Epiphone. To be honest I want a Gibson because it is a “Gibson” and now I could afford one, but while I was playing the Epiphone, really enjoying the sound of it and having a great time, I could not have cared less about the “Made in XXXX” or the name on the headstock. I have heard many demos for the Epiphone, they all sound great, and more important if FELT great in my hands. Am I being carried away by “just a brand”?

The shops could order either guitar for me, but if I not buy it, I would have to pay a fee for the order anyway. In that case I could order online and if I do not like it, claim them “30-day money-back guaranteed” policy. In addition, I could order the Epiphone play it for weeks and keep it if I think it is good enough for me, if not I send it back and look for something “better”. What do you think about this?

Keeping in mind the differences between the made in USA Gibson and the made in China manufacturing. Both guitar have mahogany bodies, set mahogany necks, rosewood fretboards and a maple top. Both also have Alnico II & Alnico V pickups, which I think is a great combination; however, on the Gibson the C5 is on the bridge and the C2 on the neck, while on the Epiphone is the other way around. Which way is “better” or more versatile? I like thick bassy tones on the neck and high trebly tones on the bridge, I usually go for Clapton’s “woman tone” on the neck and Slash’s chords/riffs on the bridge. Can I swap the magnets on the pickups to try it out? I guess swapping the neck/bridge pickups would be easier, but then the sound would be very unbalanced due to the different outputs of the bridge/neck pickups. To be more accurate, the Gibson has 490R on the neck and 498T on the bridge, while the Epiphone has Alnico Classic (PRO?) on the neck and ProBucker-3 on the bridge.

I like modding my guitars, and especially on a Les Paul there are many options to try (50’s/modern wiring, no-cut middle position, series/parallel, out of phase, etc). For me it would not “feel right” doing that to a Gibson, and these models come with the PCB that allows no mods, so I would have to but a new full wiring harness. On the Epiphone I would not mind opening her guts and doing mods, and they come with normal wires that allow free simple mods.

Cheers,

Walter

P.S. For the sake of simplicity, let us say that 1CHF is equal to 1USD.

P.S.S. If you live in Zürich and want to get together and jam, send me a PM.

For me personally, the BIG deciding factor between those two guitars would be the neck profiles. I have small hands, so a SlimTaper neck like the Epiphone has is my usual preference. The Gibson you selected has a rounded 50s profile neck shape.

If it wasn't for the neck profile (and you can get a similar Gibson with the SlimTaper neck), I'd go with the Gibson.

• Members

Uhhh, didn't we just go thru this with you about some of the Gibby's?

My answer remains the same: Whatever feels right in your hands, and sounds best to your ears.

If you are worried about financials, the Gibson hands down will keep it's value.

As for mods, everything electrical can be returned to factory spec, so that shouldn't be a concern. Just keep the parts. But again, whatever feels right to you, is the one to get.

• Members
Have you considered the EPI Tribute T? 490 R/T Burstbuckers' date=' slim taper neck.[/quote']

I hadn't and it looks like a good guitar. However, passing a price point something inside me tells me "get a Gibson instead". The LP Trad Pro that I chose is because of the features and the sound (only Epi I have played). I was aiming for a LP Standard but this showed us as an offer at pretty much the same price.

• Members

I modded out a 2007 Epiphone LPC with Schaller fine tuning tailpiece and an Alnico 5 Dragonfire Vintage Screamers pickup.

It's in the same league with my 1974 Gibson LPC with the same fine tuning tailpiece, Seymour Duncan Screamin'Demon on the neck slot and a Dimarzio Evolution in the bridge slot.

Gibson has a much much higher resale value compared to a Epiphone.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived