When Music Was Real

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She was barely heard back in the day. If it weren't for the really-good-looking-while-doing-it and questionably talented Elvis Presley singing "Hound Dog", no one may know of her today at all.

That's very true. While there are some whites who exploited their music, the comments most of the musicians made - from Elvis to the Beatles to the English blues-rock guitarists - seemed genuinely appreciative of blues music and the black musicians who originated and created it, and wanted them to get the recognition they rightfully deserved.

• Members

I have given up on most mainstream music, I haven't turned on a radio in years. There are still great bands out there you just have to work harder to find them, I have been listening to a lot of classical / film/ trailer music lately and its so much more pleasing and emotionally satisfying.

Check out Junkiexl on youtube hes a film composer and posts videos all the time of awesome synths he has and other stuff in his studio.

• Members

Real or relative?

There was a time when the pop music briefly played what appealed to me and motivated me to get connected with it as a player. I did that and can can say that there's a debt I think I owe to it for being what it needed to be for me when I needed it. Does music do that for everyone throughout their lives? I don't know and honestly don't care.

What was for me is gone in the popular sense but I manage to keep it safely inspiring in my own rotational aural museum. It's now a musical isolation thing that many people hold close and revered. Outside of that I do not actively search for music. I never did. What caught my ear originally was popular air play. Happenstance. Right time, right age.

I look down my nose at people who like certain music because to me it speaks for personalities I'm repulsed by. I'm no altruist wanting to save the world's population. Nope, I'd rather tailor it to me instead, which is true of all people and publicly established the minute they go all opinionated about something/anything, and that's just the real and relative truth about humanity. Music greatly assists the cataloging of people.

Anyway, let it all play. It's part of the normal divisiveness within the species and as it should be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

My buds in Blackberry Smoke are still chipping away at it...they're selling out mid-size halls in American and Europe...their latest album debuted at #1 on the Billboard country charts and #6 on their rock charts. They've done this with virtually no radio airplay...but the have a huge fanbase that continues to grow from just word of mouth.

• Moderators
And how can you not like these guys!!!

This is a cover... well, actually since they don't credit the original, its a rip-off. Specifically the melody. And that lead tone is freakin' HORRID. And in spite of all that... I like it!

And here's the original... "Foots" by the one and only legendary Stuff!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members
Music is on it's death bed. What we're seeing now is people trying to revive road kill.

It's about personality now, talent no longer matters.

You make an interesting point but I am afraid it is not accurate. There are brilliant artist out there today.

Here are some great artists:

Ed Sheeran

Public Broadcasting Service

Adele

Bruno Mars

Taylor Swift (Don't care much for her music but she's a heavy weight)

Lady Gaga

The Knocks

These are different flavors and even though I listen to different artists (Maxi Priest, Peter White, George Benson), I think it has to do with changing times and either accepting or rejecting.

• Members

That's very true. While there are some whites who exploited their music, the comments most of the musicians made - from Elvis to the Beatles to the English blues-rock guitarists - seemed genuinely appreciative of blues music and the black musicians who originated and created it, and wanted them to get the recognition they rightfully deserved.

I can't find a cite for this since I got it from a magazine some 40 years ago but Fats Domino said he didn't care if someone else made a buck on Blueberry Hill. He got paid and everyone else found a thrill too.

Of course this is paraphrased, but that was his sentiment. It was certainly better for him than being a busboy or bellhop.

• Members
Thanks Phil and Grumpy, I love these kinds of threads!! I get to find out about the cool stuff without having to wade through the forgettable stuff (that I've forgotten about already).

Just for you, Craig:

(closest to original I have found)

AND, a rework of the same number by a heavily jass-influenced 'folk' artist, with an added verse:

(let's see if anyone can figure out how he REALLY played it...)

Archived