Twin channel amp vs Stereo effects

Chordite

• Members

I have an old 100w Elka amp. It has twin EQ'd input channels (identical) to a single speaker.

I am wondering whether to feed L and R my stereo effects pedal into the two channels or just to use one side?

(it is a "keyboard" amp, so totally clean without effects)

https://get.google.com/albumarchive/104596613967503602708/album/AF1QipMiXZb0TRDpNzX8j60HkmKFpOrXQ0yiy55JmbBA

• Members

You can try it but its not going to make much of a difference in the end. The effects only produce a pseudo stereo effect. Both will wind up being mono in the end. The phase inversion chorus uses for the second channel might wind up sounding worse.

What might be better since you say its a clean amp, is to use and A/B pedal and set up different effects for each channel. You can use low gain pedals for a rhythm channel and high gain for a lead channel and toggle between the two. An A/B/Y pedal would let you select either and both.

• Members

Okay team, I eventually found my stereo jack splitter cable and tried it.

And it makes ----

no difference whether you run both or individual.

I was surprised. I expected some kind of phase cancellation effect or interference pattern between different parts of the signal but as far as I can take it in a domestic setting it simply mixes back down to undamaged mono. Which is fine, safe as milk.

So ^^^ what those three said :)

Archived