Best gig bag under $75

Emory

• Members

Noticing the post fest such posts as "Suggest a good guitar under $600" or "Best all time song to play" etc, thought I might start one that may be of some practical use. Sure there are great gig bags that cost as much as a decent guitar, but how about that competitive under $75 price point? (Please try to refrain from commenting only an idiot would use gig bag, if possible). I pack my git about 20 min each way on my back to the beach, and a case is out of the question, being broken down geezer and all.

So I suppose important points might include comfort, protection, quality of construction, accessory pockets, etc. Feel free to add to criteria. I've got a couple I like, but thought I'd let you folks chime in first.

• Members

A Google search will lend some help . Personally the mono brand is quite the famous one can't go wrong with them . The other is the fusion f1 which I have no experience too but it have some good reviews . If not get a hard shell case which is very bulky and you know just a pain to carry .

• Members

There are some fairly decent cases out there that are quite light... AND quite affordable. Musician's Gear or Silver Creek cases weigh less than half of what a regular guitar case weighs, and they are surprisingly sturdy... much more so than a gig bag. Just sayin'

• Members

^ Just to show you some of us are paying attention, a rigid foam case might be a good option: http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_p_36_5?rnid=386685011&keywords=foam+guitar+case&rh=n%3A11091801%2Cn%3A11965871%2Cn%3A11967641%2Cn%3A486412011%2Cn%3A11967671%2Ck%3Afoam+guitar+case&qid=1462834052&low-price=&high-price=75&x=8&y=12.

My Ibanez came with a really nice Cort branded gig bag when I bought it but I don't have any idea where to find one.

• Members

Emory, I have tried to resist but I have pretty strong feelings that a good guitar needs a good case. Put an electric in a gig bag, they're pretty hard to hurt, but a nice acoustic needs to be protected and humidified. Remember, in my little repair business I get to see the ones that weren't.

Its kind of like when I started riding motorcycles I asked the guy at the store the difference between helmets. He said " Its all in how much you value your head. If you've got a hundred dollar head buy a hundred dollar helmet, if you've got a five hundred dollar head buy a five hundred dollar helmet"

I bought a ten dollar helmet......

• Members

I agree and do have cases for my acoustics. But carting that along with small battery powered amp (although Fly 3s work quite well for acoustic electrics).... well, the weight adds up over a 20 minute walk. Main danger is either tripping or getting run over by Thai motorcycle drivers who view sidewalk as extra lane. Over here lack of humidity never a problem! had high of 93 with 62% humidity according to my little weather station.

So for me it is choice of taking potential risk of damage or not taking guitar at all. I'm gonna live forever or die trying.

• Members

My choice is Chicago Music Exchange branded bag, $50. Good padded straps, good padding, leather carry handles, reflective strips for night, good storage, guitar neck velcro internal strap with padded block, ventilated padding on back (very useful in this humid place!), included shoulder strap if don't want to back pack, well made... yada yada. I also have a Tribal Planet hybrid electric case that was inexpensive. Their website demos dropping from balcony 3 floors up. Hard to find however.

• Members

Except that they're $120, well above the OP's budget of $75.

In sales there are three prices every closer has to know... the price someone wants to pay.... the price someone is willing to pay... the price someone can actually afford. It's called "triplicate of choice" and it is not unusual for someone to take the better item above the price they wanted originally... if the value is good.

• Members

OTOH, if you're given a $75 budget to work with you stay with a $75 budget. When the OP said $75 I didn't try to psychoanalyze what he might be willing to pay, I took him at his word. That's why I linked to Amazon products selling for $75 or less.

• Members

I said $75 as something of a challenge, in the lines of "it's easy to find a good guitar for $1000, but bit more difficult at $200 level". If you see a Tribal Planet bag, pick one up. Neat they have velcro mini pads can put in strategic spots for more protection. I think they went out of business. I have electric one picked up in Bangkok for about $60. Seems can survive drops even hardshells might not. And fighting off lions good selling point too. [video=youtube_share;ZXB9jpYhX1k]

Archived