Fender's really reaching with their "Signature Lines"

thatsbunk

• Members
I remember Edge playing the Strat as much as I remember him playing the Explorer. Both are highly connected with early U2 in my mind. Either one would make about equal sense to me as an Edge sig-model IMO... but since the Edge and Bono are now major investors in Fender and serve on the board for that company, the Strat probably makes more sense. :idea::)

hmm....interesting article. These private equity firms will ultimately be the death Fender as it has been for the past 20 years. I think they don't know what to do now that the guitar buying public market is drying up. This criptic talk about "digital initiatives" is code for we have no idea what people want.

I'm sure the brad will survive in some form or another. But until Fender (and Gibson too) start to realize that the electric guitar is no longer the main tool for people to make modern music, they will continue to produce way too much product for a market that doesn't exist anymore.

• Members
I remember Edge playing the Strat as much as I remember him playing the Explorer. Both are highly connected with early U2 in my mind. Either one would make about equal sense to me as an Edge sig-model IMO... but since the Edge and Bono are now major investors in Fender and serve on the board for that company, the Strat probably makes more sense. :idea::)

Those are the 2 guitars I remember him playing most in the early days.

I have seen U2 a few times going way way back too and he was using Vox AC30's. I'm sure he has used Fender amps too somewhere along the line.

The famous black strat is from 1975, I have a 3 tone sunburst strat from 1976. I bought it from a guy here in town for 300 bucks in 1980. He took the 300 bucks and bought a Gibson The Paul. I let his mom count out the money too on his kitchen table.

It has the larger Fender head stock of that era. It came with some wear on the body around the endpin strap. I remembered the guys name found the guy on Facebook about 5 year ago and he now lives in NH. I told him I still have the guitar. :D

He said if I ever want to sell it back to him , let him know.

I took down his contact info and put it in the case. Just incase any ever happens to me he can have it back for free.

My wife said she would like a few guitars in my memory, if any thing ever happened to me before her. I have no one in my immediate family that plays an instrument. I have made up for all that would have in both time and money. :D

I play just about everyday for a few hours, sometimes less and sometimes a lot more.

No Fender Signature Mikeo model yet. :D

You would love the 76 strat as the neck is very thin and not very wide either.

I did have it refretted. It was my first start and second really nice electric guitar. The first nice electric being a Gibson SG Standard, which I still have too.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31719375[/ATTACH]

maxresdefault.jpg

• Members
I guess now ALL the signature models are coming out of Mexico. I think it's just a clever way for FMIC to get $1,000 for a MIM guitar or bass.

But the MIM series varies in quality. The upper level ones, like the Classic Players, are fantastic instruments. Considering they have some that are in the $800-$900 range without the signature, it makes sense that adding a name to a guitar would up the sales price just like an American model vs the Signature equivalent. You're buying the name as well as the guitar. I'm not saying it's right, but it makes total sense.

Archived