HELP - Can you IDENTIFY my OVATION acoustic electric guitar?

Dustandroses

• Members

OK, So after reading all of the input and taking a look at the link provided I am still unable to locate a match for the serial number on my Ovation Celebrity; C 11010657.

I am concerned I may have purchased a knockoff but can not be sure. I want to sell it but won't do that until I am sure of it's value. Any help would be great.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • Members
On 4/22/2022 at 12:23 AM, RonL516 said:

I have an ovation that I think is a celebrity deluxe elite. Serial number is C10040553 14 frets I don't know what year and what it sold for new.

I know it's made in China. Actually, a nice guitar and plays well. 

I think it would have been made in April, 2010. The first two numbers in the serial number of most guitars made in the Far East are usually the year, the next two numbers the month.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Members

I was recently given what I believe is an authentic Ovation guitar.  Have looked at the lists of serial numbers, but am a little confused ... my serial number is 018589.  But I don't know if I should count the 0 as part of the serial number when checking the lists (which would make it a 7-digit number) or if the proper serial number is just the 18589.

Kind of stupid question, but it's mine.

-- Barb

• Members
17 hours ago, Barbp said:

I was recently given what I believe is an authentic Ovation guitar.  Have looked at the lists of serial numbers, but am a little confused ... my serial number is 018589.  But I don't know if I should count the 0 as part of the serial number when checking the lists (which would make it a 7-digit number) or if the proper serial number is just the 18589.

Kind of stupid question, but it's mine.

-- Barb

Yes, you count the zero as part of the number. "GENERALLY" the way the serial number works on import guitars, is the first 2 digits are the year, second 2, month, the rest production number of guitars built.

You are showing us a 6 digit number (With 0), which would indicate an ADAMAS from 1995.

here's my source: Date your Ovation / Datez votre Ovation (ovationtribute.com)

• Thanks 1

• Members
2 hours ago, badpenguin said:

Yes, you count the zero as part of the number. "GENERALLY" the way the serial number works on import guitars, is the first 2 digits are the year, second 2, month, the rest production number of guitars built.

You are showing us a 6 digit number (With 0), which would indicate an ADAMAS from 1995.

here's my source: Date your Ovation / Datez votre Ovation (ovationtribute.com)

Thank you, badpenguin! Clears that up nicely for me, I appreciate it.

Just curious about your User Name, by any chance were/are you associated with the Penguin Feather music stores in Northern Virginia?

• Members
1 hour ago, Barbp said:

Thank you, badpenguin! Clears that up nicely for me, I appreciate it.

Just curious about your User Name, by any chance were/are you associated with the Penguin Feather music stores in Northern Virginia?

Nope, just choose the name since penguins are evil. And add pictures!! We LOVE pictures here!!

Edited by badpenguin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an Ovation Celebrity CC28 with a serial number 6503896. It is a Black AE cutaway with gold tuners. I would like to know if anyone can help determine what year this was made. Any charts I've seen so far offer no help. Thanks for your help. 

• Moderators

I have yet to see a complete model by model up to date Serial number decoder. 

Has anyone tried contacting Ovation?

https://www.ovationguitars.com/en/contact

Okay, Ovation advises the curious to go here: http://www.ovationtribute.com/Date your Ovation.html

Unfortunately serial numbers only go up to 2013....:rolleyes2:

I have submitted a query to their customer support team...but I am not holding my breath.

There seems to be no information on the Chinese-built Celebrities anywhere.:idk:

• Moderators

I got an answer from Ovation!

"The import model instruments do not have a specific date-coded serial number.  We used to keep both digital and written serial number records, but when Fender, who owned Ovation from 2006 to 2014, sold the brand they lost/destroyed all of those, and other, records.  Consequently, we no longer have a way do identify the exact year of manufacture for import models made before 2008 or 2009"

This actually is, sadly, believable...

• Moderators
3 hours ago, waayne coons said:

Does any one know how to trace the serial number on an Ovation Guitar to find out the year  it was made, and history of it !

Thanks Wayne 

That depends on the model and where and when it was made. See my post above yours, where I was informed by Ovation as to why it is hard to do [thanks to Fender].  Also there is a link to the best known serial checker in my Nov 13th post.

• 4 months later...