In praise of XTC

Phil O'Keefe

Someone commented about an XTC song I posted in the Music Association thread and said they had never heard of them... but liked what he was hearing. So I thought an XTC thread was in order.

Feel free to post some of your favorite XTC songs. :wave:

Here's a few to get the party started...

[video=youtube;mfsYSPCNWCw]

[video=youtube;5Da9sc6YDBo]

[video=youtube;pYupSHWEJxA]

One of the smartest' date=' coolest bands ever. I was very, very lucky to be able to see them at the Whisky a Go Go in LA in February, 1980. And they were utterly brilliant. [/quote']

I'm jealous. I should have gone and saw them live when I had the opportunities... little did I know they would stop touring so soon. :(

• Members

XTC was the band that introduced me to new wave/punk type music. At the time I was into progressive rock and jazz fusion.

I went to school with a guy from Macon, Georgia who use to play in a band with Mike Mills and Bill Berry who later went on to form a band called R.E.M. He used to try to get me to listen to all the new wave bands that were coming out back then. I was resistant because I thought they were a bunch of no talent punks. I actually turned down an offer to see the Sex Pistols for the same reason. I first heard "Drums and Wires" but when "Black Sea" came out I was hooked. It's still one of my favorite albums,

Not too long after that I saw them at the B&L Warehouse in Athens, Georgia with a little local band called R.E.M. opening for them.

[video=youtube;gzJFv5X42KQ]

• Members

I'm jealous. I should have gone and saw them live when I had the opportunities... little did I know they would stop touring so soon. frown.gif

Yeah, I almost didn't make it, too. I had to cadge a last minute ride with a friend of a friend of a friend -- in exchange for a ticket when my GF couldn't go at the last minute and my motorcycle was out of commission. The third-hand friend-of-friend turned out to be taking recording classes at the local community college. She no interest in recording my band there (it did give me a chance to see her disdain face and it was a good one) but she suggested I ought to look into the recording program there. And I did. So XTC led me directly here... er...

Archived