'bout sums it up

gardo

• Members

A freind told me this story from her praise band.. On the intro to the first song she realized the keyboard was transposed a half step sharp so she passed this on to the other band members.. Being a proffessional woodwind player she was quickly able to adapt. The guitarists moved their capos up a fret. The bass player sat out and the drummer never knew the difference.

• Members

Usually, when this happens in our praise band, the Music Director, who is playing electronic piano, doesn't realize she's playing in the wrong key. Sometimes I just drop out, sometimes I say something to her, and sometimes I transpose on the fly or use a capo. Larry, our bass player, just keeps going in the original key, and the drummer, when we have one, just keeps playing.

• Members

I see this as establishing sort of a musical hierarchy

The woodwind player is a professional and at the top of the order

The guitar and keyboard players are probably pretty good so they are next.

The bass player is likely not so good so he follows the others

And the drummer didn't need to change so we don't know about him but they tend to be off in their own groove anyway

• Members
I see this as establishing sort of a musical hierarchy . . .

. . . The bass player is likely not so good so he follows the others . . .

Larry, our bass player, is a talented trumpet player with a good voice but he's not a bass player by inclination. As I've mentioned previously, our church had a bass donated some years ago and at the time I was the only guitarist so I couldn't play both. I drafted him to play bass and he learned but it's not his first instrument so he doesn't know the fingerboard. In that respect, I'm better at my instrument but our Music Director is the standout. That said, she can't play by ear and none of us can improvise worth a darn.

• Members

I do wonder why he can't hear that he's in the wrong key. We play "They'll Know We Are Christians By Our Love" in F minor but I've been playing it in E minor for years. These days, when I play it on guitar I simply use a capo. A couple of weeks ago I was filling in on bass and there's a place where I'm used to playing a C chord, not a C#. I hit a C note on the bass once from habit and immediately heard that it was off.

Archived