What's your favorite cheapie?

thatsbunk

• Members

I would have to say that Jay Turser has some of the best guitars for the least amount of moolah.

You can frequently find Turser Strats and Teles for US$149 to $89 that are on par -- as far as build quality goes -- with $300 Squier Vintage Modified or Classic Vibe models.

Jay Turser LPs and SGs models that have the set-in necks and block inlays are all stiff competition with similar midrange Epiphones, but can be found in the $199 to $129 range -- and they play and sound very well, too.

• Members

Currently that would have to be my Silvertone 1478 RI

Webshot:

fetch?id=31614481

So much of "what sounds good" necessitates pairing a guitar with an appropriate amp. This guy sounds good with something lush like a '65 Twin or something crunchy. Last night I was playing it through a Timmy, Carbon Copy Delay and HOF Reverb into a Marshall Custom Shop 1 Watt Offset, and I was in surfy tone heaven.

There's something about the tone of these things that says "Cheap, but in a really cool retro 60s garage band sort of way" They have a lot of presence and vibe and the bigsby works well too.

My common problem with "favorite cheapies", however, are the basic electronics, i.e. p'up selector switches, jacks, and volume pots that dull down the tone too much when you roll off the volume a bit. This one has 2 of those issues and sounds best with the volume pots open, and I wiggle the toggle back and forth until the neck p'up comes back alive; but again, those are common issues I've encountered on inexpensive imports.

My prior "favorite cheapie" was the Squier Custom II Tele. I found that it had a very good range of tones making it a pretty versatile travel guitar. IIRC, they use an agathis body, so it's a bit darker like a mahogany based guitar, but it still twangs in the middle position and can bite or sing in the bridge and neck positions. It just fell from grace one day when I took it to a band practice and found my tone going to mud when I rolled off the volume. At home, I can adjust the amp's volume, but at practice, it's nice to have a guitar volume that doesn't roll off so much of the presence when you suddenly realize you're too hot in the mix.

Borrowing a MaziBee image here off of the web:

fetch?id=31614483

• Members
. . . My prior "favorite cheapie" was the Squier Custom II Tele. . . . It just fell from grace one day when I took it to a band practice and found my tone going to mud when I rolled off the volume. . . .

Sounds like a treble bleed would mitigate that? Could be worth a try, anyway.

Archived