Need help id'ing this Gibson SG

Tupelo Son

• Members

Can anyone tell me what model SG this is? I know the 2007 two knob & chicken pickup selector SG had serial numbers that started with "C". But as you

can see, this one is more like a standard SG. I don't think it's a custom shop model but I could be wrong. There is no COA with it. Appreciate any help.

• Members
The SG Custom had three pickups but the neck looked more like a Les Paul Custom. The guitar in the OP looks to me like it could be a Standard with the third pickup added later.

It does....but I've never seen a regular standard with a "C" serial number.

• Members

Looks like a Fake to me. Gibson lacquers over their Serial numbers. Pirates stamp through the lacquer like they've done on that one. The serial number stamp fonts are wrong too. They even do the binding over the fret boards now. Looks like they may have put the correct 3 ply pick guard on it. The truss cover is wrong for the model. The plastic that seals the neck pickup is older. Knobs switches bridge are all new.

Looks like one of these, and there's thousands out there.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Guitar-Ebony-Fingerboard-High-Quality-Electric-Guitar-3-Pickups-S-G-Custom-Vin-Red/32386937720.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black...260708467.html

• Members
I've not seen a fake with both nibs and headstock wings' date=' but you never know... That's a lot of extra work. It would be nice to find out on this one.[/quote']

Yea, they're getting closer all the time now. If you visit the manufacturers sites that build them, they make it an option to have the binding over the frets or not. The nut on this one is incorrect too. Unless its been changed, Gibson nuts tapers off towards the tuners and they don't cut deep trenches like the ones the OP posted.

LPCGVSCH1-Features-Nut.jpg

Binding is thicker and very smooth. The ones in the OP's pic are all hacked up or may have been glued on or have file marks. You only see that kind of stuff after a refret yet the guitar looks to be new.

LPCGVSCH1-Features-Fingerboard.jpg

The tuners are new style Kluson that have threaded nuts. They're square on top. Gibson doesn't use the Kluson bolt on tuners. They use their own brand made in Germany at least since the 90's when I bought mine. They suck by the way. They use rivets that separate. I'm on my third set.

Theres a few areas in the finish too where you can see the grain of the spray job and swirl marks. Even Epiphones have glass like finishes.

The serial numbers punched through the lacquer are the key on this one, and I see no Made in USA there.

HeadStocks.jpg

serialnumber.jpg

There's just to many inconsistencies on this one that spells fake. To an

• Members

Just got off the phone with Gibson customer service (Vince Wynne). It is a legit SG3, #149 of a

'07 limited run for a "large" store. He wouldn't say who, only that the numbers for

this run go up to 300. After this run came the SG3 w/2 knobs and chicken head

switch.

Archived