Looking for a new or used acoustic in the $600 range

E-money

• Members

Can you tell us a little more about what kind of music you play, how you play (strum, flatpick, finger pick), what you play now, which guitars you've played in stores and what you think of them.

The most frequent recommendation here will be one of the Yamahas (and they are great guitars) but there are some very nice offerings from Blueridge, Recording King and several more. FWIW, I only recommend buying used if you really know how to evaluate a used instrument (or have a friend that can help you) - many of them do have issues, particularly as they get older. I also personally don't like buying guitars on line - if I'm going to shell out six hundred bucks I want to play it first. Find a good store with a large inventory and helpful staff, take a friend who plays if you don't (or an instructor) and try everything in your price range.

• Members

I'm looking for a decent, jack-of-all trades acoustic for the studio. I currenly have a Guild D4 that I like, but it needs a neck reset. Playing style ranges from strummed to fingerpicked.

I'll probably go over to Sam Ash and Guitar Center and play and listen to others play every guitar in my range and choose the one that sounds the best to me.

• Members

My choice would be a medium body - OM or GA - solid top which you can get in this price point. If you are going to mic it then go for the pure acoustic sound - if you want to plug in consider adding the pickup later (I'm partial to K&K Pure Minis but you might have your own preference). Play everything in your price range and a couple hundred above (its a fairly competitive market, you may be able to negotiate price). There are just a lot of really sweet guitars in that range - you should have lots of fun shopping.

• Members

Freeman has an interesting point about whether or not you will want to play acoustically, or plugged-in. I play plugged on stage most of the time for the sake of mobility-- when I am with a group. If I play by myself, I can play with a couple of condenser mics that can provide me with a little moving room, but, I have to pretty much stay put. My newest guitar does not have a pickup in it. Since I love the guitar as is, I'll probably just use the condenser mics option if I play it in live performances.

• Members

I note that you're in the Philadelphia area. A quick check of your local CraigsList turns up a number of possibilities in the $300-600 range: Alvarez, Breedlove, Simon and Patrick, Recording King, Yamaha, a Seagull and a couple of Takamines at the low end. Any of these would serve you well. None is going to be a Guild but they're all decent guitars. For that matter, a quick search turns up a decent number of dealers in your fair city and I'm sure one of them would be willing to sell you something.

• Members

If you dig around, may be able to find Yamaha AC3R. I got mine new for $665 with very nice case. Really sweet, terrific preamp with all sorts of stuff that could be great for studio. I love mine. [video=youtube;e8b0OhEcnXI]

• Members
Get a Martin D-45 Authentic. You will never need to upgrade. ;)

You colossal weenie! Sure, you have the cool new Recording King clone, and now EVERYONE should just UP and get one too. Good lord man! Have some decency fer the chri-eye!

Archived