why is gibson les pauls associated with a fat sound ?

mbengs1

• Members

. . .

Yeah, I know Les Paul designed his signature guitar as a jazz guitar, but who looks at a Les Paul and says "Now that's a jazz guitar."? It was flop and discontinued by Gibson. In the mid 60's it got a second life when it was found the Les Paul created a characteristic fat, creamy sound through an overdriven amp and became a favorite of blues/rock (now considered classic rock) guitarists.

A Les Paul is a great Jazz guitar. One of my teachers plays Jazz on a Telecaster. When I saw him do that it seemed easy to find the tones on a Les Paul.

My number one is a Les Paul Studio with ebony fingerboard that has had the finished completely removed from the guitar. It sounds great in every situation I play it in. For me, a good sounding guitar is one that responds to and gives voice to the player's touch.

I wouldn't exactly say the Les Paul was a "flop" although Fender was gaining popularity so Gibson redesigned the guitar in the early sixties.

Would you say the Stratocaster was a flop when Fender decided to discontinue the guitar, along with the Telecaster, in favour of the more modern Jazzmaster and Jaguar?

• Members

"Cheers. Not many though and very esoteric, that is, few and far between".

Those were just the first few I owned. I owned at least a dozen more over the years like a Custom paul, A LP recording model, S1, The Paul, ES335, a 1965 LP, melody Maker, SG Jr, A 70's SG, Flying V, SG Doubleneck, even a 1952 ES5.

I hung with older musicians growing up who would buy used gear in NYC pawn shops and were always bringing me gear for restoration. In the process we'd trade instruments, sometimes with extra cash. I'd play them 6 months or a year and then trade back or sell them for something else.

Regrets on selling many of them? Sure thing, but I have to think back to that time. Used gear back then wasn't vintage, it was just used like it is with newer stuff today. Some of the Gibsons had repaired neck breaks, a very common problem and you could buy those for chump change.

Came across allot of cool oddball stuff like Dan Armstrong, Ampeg, Vox, you name it. Not too many Fenders at first. I bought a vintage Jag in pieces from a buddy for $20, reassembled it. (Wish I knew what that one would be worth today). I sold it for like $50 and bought a 60's Mustang and traded that one for a Jazz Guitar, then a Tele. I really didn't like Fenders much at first. I wasn't into clean tones and Fenders wouldn't overdrive my amp for the good rock tones of the day like Humbucker guitars did so I didn't think much of them till later.

Eventually a HS buddy who worked at the local music shop came to a jam, probably in the late 70's with a nice Strat. I played that one for about an hour and fell in love with its tone. Had a nice slim fast neck and I'm guessing it must have been an older one because it had the 3 way selector you had to balance the 2 & 4 positions.

Of course in later years I bought and sold many Fenders and even went through a 10 year stretch playing only Fenders so I have a love for all guitars at this point. I find what they do best and exploit their strengths by adapting my playing skills. I believe it makes you a better musician by doing so.

Having known only one guitar wasn't in my chemistry. Its allot like only knowing one woman. Its good for some but others like myself had to try out a few to know what's best.

Currently have a mixed bag. Maybe a half dozen store bought Fenders and Gibsons and a half dozen others like Rickenbacker, Steinberger, Ibanez. The others are all mostly my own builds. Many are hybrids with Fender necks and Gibson hardware. Guess I've gotten to like the best of all worlds by combining different breeds together. So long as its got strings on it and plays well I'm happy.

I still have 5 decent necks for new builds. Bought an excellent Strat neck the other day and I'm waiting for its tuners. I have a body roughed out made of Purple Heart which I've never used before. It came from an antique bed that must have been 100 years old according to my buddy who scrounged it for me. I've never played a guitar made out of that wood before but Its a beautiful wood with a natural deep purple color.

It's got a high density of 52 which higher then most tone woods. Extremely heavy too. I had to make it a slim body with a cut away to reduce weight so I could actually strap it on. It should give me some interesting Fat tones but I'm thinking of using Ric type pickups to give it jangle, and a wrap around bridge for maximum sustain. I don't think the body's thick enough for deep HB routes so I have to be creative this time.

• Members
Why are Fender Telecasters associated with a spanky tone?

Why are Fender Stratocasters associated with a glassy (or quacky) tone?

Why are Gretsch guitars associated with a twangy tone?

Because of the way they were designed and their tone signature, the tone they uniquely possess and are most recognizable for.

Yeah, I know Les Paul designed his signature guitar as a jazz guitar, but who looks at a Les Paul and says "Now that's a jazz guitar."? It was flop and discontinued by Gibson. In the mid 60's it got a second life when it was found the Les Paul created a characteristic fat, creamy sound through an overdriven amp and became a favorite of blues/rock (now considered classic rock) guitarists.

See, that to me really cuts to the meat of the whole discussion. What we are really talking about is not the inherent fatness of the Les Paul sound but rather it's creamy fatness when it's gained up. As far as a Jazz guitar, guys like Wes Montgomery and Grant Green were sticking to the Charlie Christian formula using hollow body archtops which were known for an inherent fat clean tone. Of the Jazz guys not many beyond the designer (Les Paul) were using the LP at the time. Then came the Marshall and the English rock explosion that ushered in the sound of fat creamy distorted tones, and the Gibson design had a new lease on life. I had definitely read that regarding the LP though I must admit that the idea that the Strat and Tele were being replaced in the lineup by the Jazzmaster and Jaguar (Onelife) was something I did not know.

• Members
I got my les paul today and had to pay equivalent to more than 1000 dollars. anyway it was worth it. it has a lot of sustain and resonance! my dream guitar has arrived!

That seems like an absolutely amazing deal on an LP Custom. Congrats and enjoy.

• Members

That seems like an absolutely amazing deal on an LP Custom. Congrats and enjoy.

Sorry i meant i had to pay 1000 dollars for the taxes and duty alone. the guitar cost $4200! but i'm just glad i finally got what i paid for!

• Members

I spent all in all, about 5500 dollars for this new guitar. but i don't feel the burn. of course it bothers me that i spent so much. more than it couldve been. i didnt lie about the price i paid or shipping. lol.

• Members

I spent all in all, about 5500 dollars for this new guitar. but i don't feel the burn. of course it bothers me that i spent so much. more than it couldve been. i didnt lie about the price i paid or shipping. lol.

A nice guitar can last you a lifetime, enjoy!

Archived