eric clapton appreciation thread

mbengs1

I've nothing but respect for EC. While most of the stuff he has done' date=' bores me to tears, what he did with Cream, and Derek and the Dominoes, was worth the decades of "Lay Down Sally". (Still think he lost his balls when he picked up a strat though...)[/quote']

If you liked Layla, then you liked Clapton after he picked up a Strat. :)

FWIW, I love Clapton's playing - especially on Layla and the work of his that preceded it - Mayall / Blues Breakers, Cream, etc. He's one of the few players that consistently communicates emotion in a way that I can physically and emotionally get and "feel" on a very deep level.

• Members

I heard many say "He lost his Balls" after Cream, he got burned out on playing the Guitar God thing.

In the 1980's, I was all about doing arpeggios, 8 fingered tapping, playing / picking very fast , doing Holdsworth style legato playing and Floyd Rose acrobatics .... but that gets boring, sometimes, it's just great to letting the notes breath not just fly by with the other 999 notes.

Looking back at E.C.'s career, I love the way he reinvented himself and added diversity to his playing, while another player I admire, Yngwie Malmsteen, seems to do the same album over and over,

• Members

Blackmore's best playing was on Deep Purple's Burn LP and his first solo Album, "Richie Blackmore's Rainbow", featuring ronnie James Dio. Santana's another great "Feel Player" .....Knopfler's playing is so mind boggling at times ..... kinda Carl Perkins meets Chet Atkins with a more modern slant.

• Members

I never liked his Cream stuff as much as the stuff he did afterwards. Deric and the Dominos recordings were stellar and went beyond the basic blues stuff he did with Cream. The albums after 461 Ocean Boulevard got very good.

One his albums, Journeyman won him a Grammy in 1990. It had a song called "Anything For Your Love" which was recorded in 1989, one year after Johnny Winter Recorded it on his Winter of 88 album. Clapton's version is a bit more laid back with allot more studio production polish. Johnny had more raw passion and excellent guitar work.

Both versions are excellent but I'd have to give Winter the thumbs up on being a better guitar player version. Its a real close toss up though. I like them both and take them for what they are, two great players doing their own interpretations.

• Members

he has a lot of good songs let's see what i can remember of eric..

pretty girl

holy mother

wonderful tonight

bell bottom blues

layla

badge

old love

runnin on faith

tears in heaven

lonely stranger

river of tears

change the world

cocaine

it's in the way that you use it

sunshine of your love

white room

blue eyes blue

it's probably me

my father's eyes

bad love

• Members

The two Clapton solo albums I really like are Money and Cigarettes and August. August in particular is full of 1980's cheese and saturated guitar tones. M&C is more of a laidback affair, but has great songwriting. If Clapton could've decided what he wanted to do instead of jumping from genre to genre, he may have had a more interesting solo career. Most of the time it sounds like he's reaching out to the adult/yuppie market.

• Members
The two Clapton solo albums I really like are Money and Cigarettes and August. August in particular is full of 1980's cheese and saturated guitar tones. M&C is more of a laidback affair' date=' but has great songwriting. If Clapton could've decided what he wanted to do instead of jumping from genre to genre, he may have had a more interesting solo career. Most of the time it sounds like he's reaching out to the adult/yuppie market.[/quote']

Money and cigarettes is the only album i bought of clapton other than the greatest hits and some of his live albums. that's from 83'. i was just 2, lol.

Archived