Peavey on Undercover Boss

• Members

I've watched several of these shows and just don't understand why ANY company would go on Undercover Boss. The prizes that go to 3-4 employees don't overcome the stigma of watching 40 minutes of "train wreck". And I'm not talking about solely Peavey. After every episode I'm left thinking, wow I'd never support that company.... I mean I know every company has their problems but why would you show this to millions of people? Do the companies think it's endearing?

In Peavey's case it's inexcusable to the point of flat out exploitation of fellow human beings. I'm not naive to business decisions, but simply don't expose yourself to the opinion of millions of people if you have cutbacks and layoffs in the works. And for the love of god, certainly don't showcase people you are going to lay off a few months later.

I truly hate that I now equate Peavey with the word disingenuous. What a colossal failure! Don't show your products failing! Don't show manual soldering if you aren't manually soldering! Don't layoff people you singled out and gave hope to! Don't let employees go on camera and tell you how how benefits have been reduced, no raises for 8 years, and that they just want to make enough to survive! Don't close a plant a few months after airing!

When you're that close to the brink of failure, WHY IN THE HELL would you go on national TV and "showcase" your company? That speaks volumes to the quality of those running the company. The "Peavey family" themselves signed on for this. How inexcusably short sided and utterly embarrassing.

• Members

Glad to see you are still standing Jim.

As you might have heard, our brand didn't survive one of the big rounds of layoffs at Fender so (along with a whole lot of other folks) I found myself looking for a job after ~25 years and landed in an engineering position at Mesa Boogie. It was certainly a step up in the moral department if nothing else ;) Actually, it's pretty darn good, I'm back to being creative in my engineering work for a change.

• Members
I've watched several of these shows and just don't understand why ANY company would go on Undercover Boss. The prizes that go to 3-4 employees don't overcome the stigma of watching 40 minutes of "train wreck". And I'm not talking about solely Peavey. After every episode I'm left thinking, wow I'd never support that company.... I mean I know every company has their problems but why would you show this to millions of people? Do the companies think it's endearing?

The few episodes I've seen are structured so that you end up feeling really good about the boss who, gosh darn it, really DOES care about his employees and his company by the end of the episode.

Haven't seen this Peavey one yet, but it sure DOES sound like a trainwreck!

• Members

The peavey episode was different than all the others I've seen. Most companies have a board member who goes undercover and they see things happening in close and far locations. They talk to franchise members about problems (There was no communication about products and dealer relationships at all.

Also no episode ever had the guy wear a wire with the founder talking his ear off (goofing around mostly). There was no interaction with mid level employees at all, just the line workers.

the show producers did slant the episode to make peavey look like a backwoods company who paid peanuts and that plant #3 was the only plant around. Did something happen off camera we didn't see that pissed off the producers and made them portray peavey badly?

• CMS Author
The peavey episode was different than all the others I've seen. Most companies have a board member who goes undercover and they see things happening in close and far locations. They talk to franchise members about problems (There was no communication about products and dealer relationships at all.

Also no episode ever had the guy wear a wire with the founder talking his ear off (goofing around mostly). There was no interaction with mid level employees at all, just the line workers.

the show producers did slant the episode to make peavey look like a backwoods company who paid peanuts and that plant #3 was the only plant around. Did something happen off camera we didn't see that pissed off the producers and made them portray peavey badly?

Maybe the producers decided to break out of the, "CEO gets an earful, CEO reprimands one "bad" employee, CEO gives half the company to one or two "good" employees, everyone (including CEO) cries and hugs, and the world is good again" model that the show's used forever.

• Members
Kinda looks like founders disease - if Henry Ford hadn't been deposed we'd never have had the Model "A" - according to him the world began and ended with the "T" with it's carpy mechanical brakes and weirdarse shifter :facepalm: .

You do know that the planetary gear transmission that made the Model t "infamous" is the basis for many of today's automatic transmissions. The Planetary gear mechanism is really a brilliant way to transmit power.

• Members
You do know that the planetary gear transmission that made the Model t "infamous" is the basis for many of today's automatic transmissions. The Planetary gear mechanism is really a brilliant way to transmit power.
Sure is - but sure helps to have a computer (mechanical or electronic) to do the weirdarse shifting for yah :) . No doubt that Henry and Hartley were brilliant in their days - both fell behind the times and needed/need to go. Apple's starting to get interesting again now that Steve's gone too.

• CMS Author
Sure is - but sure helps to have a computer (mechanical or electronic) to do the weirdarse shifting for yah :) . No doubt that Henry and Hartley were brilliant in their days - both fell behind the times and needed/need to go. Apple's starting to get interesting again now that Steve's gone too.

Considering when it was designed (early 1900's) and the state of automobile design, foot controls were not all that big a deal. It's really analogous to where we are with digital mixer interfaces today...there's no standard and mfg's are trying different ways to get what's in our heads out to the electronics...

• Members
Considering when it was designed (early 1900's) and the state of automobile design' date=' foot controls were not all that big a deal. It's really analogous to where we are with digital mixer interfaces today...there's no standard and mfg's are trying different ways to get what's in our heads out to the electronics...[/quote']True that smiley-frustrated ! Kinda funny, the new X-Air apps have different things you can't do on each version (iPad, Android, Windows - Mac not here yet) and some things differently done. Right now you can't fully configure one with just an iPad.

• Members

You realize this thread just cost me three hours of my life. At least now I know what planetary gears are. Fascinating!

RR - I bet the X-Air software situtation will resolve itself very soon. IIUC Uli hired the guy that was doing that great 3rd party dev for the X32.

• Members
RR - I bet the X-Air software situtation will resolve itself very soon. IIUC Uli hired the guy that was doing that great 3rd party dev for the X32.
I think he just does the Android version - that's the one I haven't tried yet. I hear tell his X32 version (developed before Behringer "bought" him ;) ) blows away Behringer's X32 iPad version.

• Members

Kinda funny' date=' you could rule the world back then with a pair of CS800's on the PA and a CS400 on monitors - Nowadays a bridged CS800 per monitor would be considered by most as barely adequate :facepalm: .[/quote']

+1 on CS400! It was a workhorse in my first band and the little club we played had few CS800's too. We NEVER had a problem with them. Although, I bet that CS400 weighed about 25 pounds and had handles that could be used on a battleship.

• Members

+1 on CS400! It was a workhorse in my first band and the little club we played had few CS800's too. We NEVER had a problem with them. Although, I bet that CS400 weighed about 25 pounds and had handles that could be used on a battleship.

I think the cs400 was almost 50 pounds. At least the ones made in the early 80s were.

Archived