Inexpensive PA speakers?

• Members

For folks just listening in, I would say that an accepted protocol on this site is to recommend products that you have direct experience with, or that others you respect have had experience with. Most posters can find what they're looking for by cruising the music stores and online sites. What many people don't have is a background of specific products. There obviously are no rules here to that end, just how things often are.

I personally try to indicate whether I have used, owned, rented or just heard about a product so the OP can gauge my level of involvement with said product. If I've just heard of something through the grapevine, I'll try to reference the source as in "folks at HC seem to really like this product".

Again there are no hard and fast recommendation guidlines but thankfully, folks like AH remind us to stand behind what we say - so that's my two cents.

• Members

Meanwhile... back in the jungle. I believe that the OP said his 12" Yamahas suddenly sound muddy. I'd guess you lost a tweeter which could be as simple as a loose connection, a failed crossover or a blown tweeter. I suggest having a shop check it out before buying new cheap speakers which may sound worse than what you have now.

• Members

Meanwhile... back in the jungle. I believe that the OP said his 12" Yamahas suddenly sound muddy. I'd guess you lost a tweeter which could be as simple as a loose connection, a failed crossover or a blown tweeter. I suggest having a shop check it out before buying new cheap speakers which may sound worse than what you have now.

I thought of that, and may try it yet.

The speakers are 20 years old, 5 of which were spent in smokey bars on a nightly basis and another 7 were spent in a garage.

They're heavy as hell, and I'm looking for an excuse to replace them.

• Members

Ok, then replace them with something BETTER.

but no budget was ever mention so cheap can mean

Nady, Kustom, OSP, Alto, Madison, Gemini, American Audio, Behringer, just to name a few which are cheap but poor sound quality and are known as unreliable and fetch only few pennies on the dollar for re-sale value.

• Members

What is your definition of computer speakers?
;)

To be fair, I have a pair of SRX-712's hooked up to mine right now, using it to program some DSP algorithems and need to hear what's (or what's not) going on and don't want to blow anything small up.

I just blew coffee thru my nose again!!! Lol Only you,Andy!!! Only you!!! Lol

• Members

I just blew coffee thru my nose again!!! Lol Only you,Andy!!! Only you!!! Lol

Accidents while programming or developing products can be especially disturbing... I insure that my test setup is well protected from dumb things that can happen during the development phase.

• Members

Such as the American Audio XSP-12A (a pretty nice entry level box), M-Audio GSR-12, there's always used EONs, used PRX-512, used QSC K12, used RCF 312 or even a 310, etc. All of these should be in the $250-450 range and suitable for their intended use and a BIG step up for only a little more money.

• Members
Such as the American Audio XSP-12A (a pretty nice entry level box), M-Audio GSR-12, there's always used EONs, used PRX-512, used QSC K12, used RCF 312 or even a 310, etc. All of these should be in the $250-450 range and suitable for their intended use and a BIG step up for only a little more money.

:thu:

• Members

These are some surprisingly good sounding powered speakers for the price :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samson-Auro-D415A-15-Active-Loudspeaker-SAROD4-/230845121580?pt=US_Pro_Audio_Speakers_Monitors&hash=item35bf71042c

Since you are in the US, you will probably want to look at the M-Audio GSR12s (suggested earlier) as they are available at under 200$ a piece from PSSL I believe. I have not personally heard these though, but others on this forum own them and seem pretty happy with their perfrmance considering the low price.

Some other good sounding, well built and reliable powered tops that include a very nice mixer section are the YX15Ps from Yorkville (here is an open box model) :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yorkville-YX15P-15-2-way-Speaker-YX-15p-B-/110938934226?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true

I owned these for 5 years and they have been 100% reliable and sound very good for an entry-level box.

Al - party-Time! DJ Services

• Members

thanks for all the advice, and for taking the time to provide me with the links!

I'm expected to setup my Karaoke system for an Octoberfest party tonight.

I figured worst case scenario I'd just run the one speaker, but then I picked up a cheap (under $200 for both) pair of Gemini GSM-1260's.

I hooked one of them up and A/B'd it with the remaining Yamaha. There's light years of difference (especially in the bass dept.) But they will do for the occasional backyard party and basement use.

I think that I'll look to see if the Yamaha can be repaired, or I'll start saving and researching for and amp/speaker system.

• Members

A short side story:

Went to one of the big box guitar stores and while they were very helpful, they seemed to want to try to help me into something way out of my price range.

I explained my needs pretty much the way I did in my OP here, but he seemed to think he was selling to a professional DJ.

Then I went to my small, local music store, where they know me.

The owner went through his suppliers' catalogs, and when he couldn't find anything that fit my criteria, offered to loan me the pair he uses for lessons for the weekend.

Support your local business!

• Members

A short side story:

Went to one of the big box guitar stores and while they were very helpful, they seemed to want to try to help me into something way out of my price range.

I explained my needs pretty much the way I did in my OP here, but he seemed to think he was selling to a professional DJ.

Then I went to my small, local music store, where they know me.

The owner went through his suppliers' catalogs, and when he couldn't find anything that fit my criteria, offered to loan me the pair he uses for lessons for the weekend.

Support your local business!

Why are you going to a store to buy when your best solution BY FAR is getting your current speakers repaired? Of course they are going to try to sell you whatever they think you will buy. That's their job.

Archived