Are Powered Subwoofers (1000 Watts, 1x18") powerful enough

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Yup, mostly for kick "punch" and I know enough not to push power into them down low. "Don't try this at home" for sure
:D

I've got a Mesa-Boogie B-400 tube amp, sitting on a Twin 15" Mesa-Boogie "Road" cab,,,parked right next to the drum throne. Drum-monitor ????

I'm kiiiiiiiiiidding. :poke:

• Members
But you didn't express this in your response, leaving folks to think that it's a good idea (which IMO it is not).

We could go off and talk about "what is a subwoofer" and whether a cab that only goes down to 50Hz is one or not :freak::D. Terminology based upon the sound of a barking dog is a bit silly at best, no? I guess a subwoofer would reproduce sounds lower than the biggest, meanest rabbid dog :facepalm:.

• Members

We could go off and talk about "what is a subwoofer" and whether a cab that only goes down to 50Hz is one or not
:freak::D
. Terminology based upon the sound of a barking dog is a bit silly at best, no? I guess a subwoofer would reproduce sounds lower than the biggest, meanest rabbid dog
:facepalm:

I don't know of anybody who would consider that cabinet a subwoofer, since it was intended from the very application to be used well abover any typical subwoofer frequency range. In fact, for that cabinet, my guess is that the -3dB point is ~65Hz and the power handling at 65Hz will be mechanically limited to about 250 watts. Why "encourage" folks do damage an otherwise good bass guitar cabinet? I really don't understand where you are coming from with some of your comments here.

• Members

A pair of 12's have almost as much cone area as an 18.

You are absolutely right. With the right driver and cabinet design

they make great subs. However, basically a full range loudspeaker designed for bass guitar is really not a sub design. They will work ok for midbass for you.

Because they are not in a bandpass, or horn loaded they might not achieve the output you want though. Have fun with them anyways...post how they worked for you!

• Members

-3db point is in the low 50's unless you think GK is lying? And yes, like most any other bass or subwoofer cab it can probably only take about 1/2 rms at the lower end before overexcursion. And I don't get where I'm "encouraging" anybody to do anything :freak:? If anything I'm discouraging folks from boosting frequencies below the kick's fundamental and other low frequencies below their "subwoofer"s -3db point. All of my "subwoofers" have -3db points in the high 40's and low 50's and I'm just saying it is quite possible to get a good solid kick out of them and acceptable bass without abusing them. If I ever blow one up I'll be sure to let you know ;) .

Oh, and I just bought the second 212BME for this "experiment" and leaving at a rehearsal place. They are discontinued and I got it cheap :D. The one I had is plenty stoopid loud for anywhere I can contemplate ever playing :) - no prob with 115db stages :freak:.

Not that it tells anyone anything but these are the drivers:

http://secure.netsolhost.com/272252.276452/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GS&Product_Code=082-0360-A&Category_Code=S8

I got each cab for less that the price of two of those drivers :). It's hard to get good deals on Neo :(.

• Members
You are absolutely right. With the right driver and cabinet design

they make great subs. However, basically a full range loudspeaker designed for bass guitar is really not a sub design. They will work ok for midbass for you.

Because they are not in a bandpass, or horn loaded they might not achieve the output you want though. Have fun with them anyways...post how they worked for you!

On my last gig I used a pair of Peavey PRSubs - I expect these to have a bit more "oomph", maybe as much as 6db ;) . They are actually a bit smaller and "pack friendly" too :) .

• Members

My fault here, I thought you were talking about the 210 not the 212. Maybe the mid 50's.

There is quite a bit of difference between a sub and this IMO, say the PRX-618XLF which has a -3dB point in the upper 30's. At 50Hz, I would expect the mechanical power handling to be around 300 watts unless you are ok with the drivers lasting a couple hundred hours (I'm not ok with that). That's quite a noticeable difference, plus the XLF driver is designed specifically for the lower frequencies as there is no need tp preserve the mids essential to bass guitar. It's going to be better suited mechanically up to ~600 watts or much closer to the RMS rating of the driver because of this.

I would NOT recommend those cabinet for use as subwoofers for most applications that folks here usually ask about.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by bigfatskinny

View Post

Would these work

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1068

Sorry to bring an old tread back up but I'm slow at getting these things started.......funding issues mad.gif

Where are you located? This may help us in recommending what brands you should check out, and where you should go for an audition.

• Members

View Post

Would these work

http://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1068

Sorry to bring an old tread back up but I'm slow at getting these things started.......funding issues mad.gif

Pretty weak unless coupled in pairs. IMO the JBL 618XLF probably best MI grade under 100lbs being they weigh in only at 86lbs they have the triple L rating of low,loud, lightweight. thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by twostone

View Post

Pretty weak unless coupled in pairs. IMO the JBL 618XLF probably best MI grade under 100lbs being they weigh in only at 86lbs they have the triple L rating of low,loud, lightweight. thumb.gif

Thanks....that said they are about $500 more.....can you please explain why they are the better choice?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--JBLPRX618SXLF

• Members

View Post

Thanks....that said they are about $500 more.....can you please explain why they are the better choice?

He pretty much did with the "low, loud and lightweight" comment. There really just isn't any sub on the market that's better at that criteria and there really aren't even any better ones available at all unless you spend even more $$$.

Of course, if you don't have the extra $500, then you don't have it.... I think most of us would reccomend you save up until you do rather than expect the mythical "inexpensive high quality sub" to manifest itself in the lesser products you keep suggesting. Buy once, cry once is still good advice.

• Members

View Post

They weigh 81lbs which is really light for an 18" sub. They are using the same driver as the high end SRX718 subs. They are tuned really well to really punch low and loud.

For those of us that have auditioned many subs in this general price category, these really shine.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by djiceman1575

View Post

Depends on what sub and what type of music you're going to be playing.

Might depend more upon how strong you want the subs kicking the audience in the chest. (A sensation that I hate.) Also, wattage alone doesn't tell how loud it is. And Behringer equipment seems to be working in another world as far as their idea of what a watt is. (And I'm sure they're not alone in being overly optimistic of wattage figures.) It would be enough for me, but others will tell you that I think subs are usually too loud. (And they would be right.) I have noticed that there are huge differences in the character of subs. I like a tight kick and being I'm playing some percussion on my keyboard, the subs have become more important to me. (We rarely used subs in the past year, but have added them to all our shows in the last 3 months.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WynnD

View Post

Might depend more upon how strong you want the subs kicking the audience in the chest. (A sensation that I hate.) Also, wattage alone doesn't tell how loud it is. And Behringer equipment seems to be working in another world as far as their idea of what a watt is. (And I'm sure they're not alone in being overly optimistic of wattage figures.) It would be enough for me, but others will tell you that I think subs are usually too loud. (And they would be right.) I have noticed that there are huge differences in the character of subs. I like a tight kick and being I'm playing some percussion on my keyboard, the subs have become more important to me. (We rarely used subs in the past year, but have added them to all our shows in the last 3 months.

Whoa. This just goes to show you how different.t opinions can be!

I love a great punchey kick in the cbest. It calls to the ladies and fills the Dance floor wink.gif

Archived