Are Powered Subwoofers (1000 Watts, 1x18") powerful enough

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy View Post
Chest thumping? Single 18" per side? 100db stage volume/rock band? No
You would have a better start with dual 18"s per side.
Chest thumping on the dance floor and at 25' or so no prob with a pair of properly powered 18's. Not chest crushing but you can feel it. Heck, I got some chest thumping out of a pair of 15" PRSubs last Saturday (center clustered and 2x RMS freak.gif).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22

View Post

There's no money below 45Hz

If DJing EDM that often has 25Hz bass drops freak.gif. I installed a MaxBass unit in a dance club once where they kept blowing their Cerwin Vega folded horn subs - you can now hear the bass drops and they haven't blown a sub in 5 years biggrin.gif. OTOH the Ampeg 'fridge only goes down to 58 Hz I think - so for classic R&R you can get away with 45 Hz subs no prob.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

If DJing EDM that often has 25Hz bass drops freak.gif. I installed a MaxBass unit in a dance club once where they kept blowing their Cerwin Vega folded horn subs - you can now hear the bass drops and they haven't blown a sub in 5 years biggrin.gif. OTOH the Ampeg 'fridge only goes down to 58 Hz I think - so for classic R&R you can get away with 45 Hz subs no prob.

Do you reproduce kick and keys with an SVT?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska View Post
Electronic dance music? 300? No. Start looking at dual 18s and not crazy power. If you're DJing a high school dance a pair of qsc's will do fine. If its at an old warehouse and there's a $20 cover then no, you should be looking at a pair of dual 18's powered at or below RMS (EDM is usually played so loud it causes ED). Hope that helps.
What should the dualies be power at?

Thanks

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Sound Guy

View Post

Get the SUB RMS power rating and go with 1.5X to 2X the RMS rating for power.

IMO for non pro users, especially without the proper protective processing, powering at the rms rating is much safer and the difference in Max spl is small.

• CMS Author

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRanger

View Post

Chest thumping on the dance floor and at 25' or so no prob with a pair of properly powered 18's. Not chest crushing but you can feel it. Heck, I got some chest thumping out of a pair of 15" PRSubs last Saturday (center clustered and 2x RMS freak.gif).

That's because the chest thump is above 100Hz. You need good subs, and good low mids to handle a kick drum for feel as well as hear.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Craigv

View Post

That's because the chest thump is above 100Hz. You need good subs, and good low mids to handle a kick drum for feel as well as hear.

As I implied above, you don't need I don't think it adds much if anything to most live music smile.gif. YMMV - Void where prohibited freak.gif.

• Members

provide chest thumping kick

Yorkvilles' LS801P will give you that, without breaking a sweat, and the tone is variable to suit your tastes. I like to dial out the "fat", and I not only get the "chest-thump", but also that "slap you in the cheeks/eye-lids" impact for kick-drum.

• Members

I'm here asking you guys cuz I have no skills
:cry:

Then you may need to adjust your expectations somewhat, and you may not need much of the additional extension that I was talking about. The additional extension is more of a "big boy tool", used properly it can really add to the audience experience but too often it's slathered on like there's no tomorrow and ends up being a big negative.

How important is cost, size and weight?

• Members

Then you may need to adjust your expectations somewhat, and you may not need much of the additional extension that I was talking about. The additional extension is more of a "big boy tool", used properly it can really add to the audience experience but too often it's slathered on like there's no tomorrow and ends up being a big negative.

How important is cost, size and weight?

#1. Cost

#2. Size

#3. Weight

• Members

GK 212MBE

Don't forget to HPF them around 50Hz, 24dB/octave BW and respect the substantial real world power limitations. I suspect that you will be less than pleased with the results, very much less... drivers in bass guitar cabinets are choosen based on factors beyond just LF response... in fact that may be one of the lesser important features. Since bass guitar has a lot of content >100Hz and even >1000Hz, this factors gretly into the design choices, that are at odds with the

Archived