Are Powered Subwoofers (1000 Watts, 1x18") powerful enough

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by OneEng

View Post

They weigh 81lbs which is really light for an 18" sub. They are using the same driver as the high end SRX718 subs. They are tuned really well to really punch low and loud.

For those of us that have auditioned many subs in this general price category, these really shine.

Light is better at 2 am love.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OneEng

View Post

Whoa. This just goes to show you how different.t opinions can be!

I love a great punchey kick in the cbest. It calls to the ladies and fills the Dance floor wink.gif

My first exposure to the KICK IN THE CHEST sub effect was an outdoor concert about 20 rows behind the sound engineer. (Probably 200' from the stage or farther. Wonder how many subs that took?) The main act was Deep Purple. (Emerson, Lake and Palmer was the second act. Didn't recognize the opening act's name or music. It's been quite a while ago.) The worst thing is in this venue they had a three stage time delayed sound system that was perfect when used for the entire amphitheater. Guess they didn't have that many people and didn't use it, making the FOH louder than it needed to be. Was not an improvement in that place.) I don't like the karate kick feel to the chest. I don't think it's a good idea and I won't be providing that level of sub for anyone. (I doubt that I would bother spending the extreme amount of money to purchase the equipment necessary. I doubt it could be done indoors for less than $5000 worth of speakers.)

• Members

IMHO one thing that needs to stop is the preference of one frequency band to do something above and beyond what others can do. Kick in the chest should also be followed by clear unobtrusive mids and highs. To have one without the other three seems off balance. It's about making the foh work as a system, not a pile of parts.

As the complexity and price tag of systems grow exponentially the distance between check writer and operator also grow. BE's tend to have different views than the people who ultimately signed the PO. This difference can cause strange purchases and implementation.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived