Neutrik Vs. XLR - Opinions From You Fine Sound Experts Please!

• Members

Okay, what do you guys think about this? I have always used regular XLR, but I know that many people swear by Neutrik connectors. Since I am now getting closer to building a nice PA system (hopefully around the New Year - fingers crossed!) cabling is going to have to be a consideration, particularly when I go for snake, right?

So advantages and disadvantages of both? Is one overall better? Is one suited to a particular need rather than being globally better or worse?

• Members
Okay, what do you guys think about this? I have always used regular XLR, but I know that many people swear by Neutrik connectors. Since I am now getting closer to building a nice PA system (hopefully around the New Year - fingers crossed!) cabling is going to have to be a consideration, particularly when I go for snake, right?

So advantages and disadvantages of both? Is one overall better? Is one suited to a particular need rather than being globally better or worse?

are you getting them confused or am I out of the loop on something?

• Members

You've got a little confusion here.

Neutrick is a connection manufacturer.

One of their products is XLR connectors.

I personally like that brand of XLR connector, better than the other leading brand, Switchcraft.

I have some good knock-off XLR connectors that are very similar to the Neutrick, but I also have some similar looking ones that suck.

So when I buy connectors, I usually buy Neutrick branded ones, as the are consistently good, though that is usually not the main factor in purchasing other equipment (it is quite possible build a crappy snake with neutrick-branded connectors).

• Members

I have always used regular XLR, but I know that many people swear by Neutrik connectors.

There are many manufactures of "regular XLR" connectors. I believe Cannon originated the XLR connector (possibly pre-dating WWII)... "X" referred to the series, "L" referred to the latch, "R" referred to the type or possibly the construction of the connector body material. Hence "XLR".

Switchcraft was another early manufacture (1946?) of XLR connectors... the Switchcraft A3F and A3M cord ends and D3F and D3M panel jacks were very common.

I believe Neutrik began production of various connector products in approx. 1975. Neutrik currently manufactures a wide variety of audio connectors, including XLR models; however, Neutrik is well known (synonymous) for their popular "Speakon" model of loud speaker connectors (which is not an XLR type connector).

There are certainly debates concerning the merits of the various manufactures of connectors, and there are other debates concerning suitability of different types of connectors for various applications... but generally these are two different debates.

• Members

If comparing Switchcraft A3F vs. Neutrik NC3FX style XLR cord ends, I'll suggest IMO: The Switchcraft A3F ends (especially the type with the spring loaded balls on the side of the connector bodies) may be arguably more forgiving of variances in mating male connectors than the Neutrik NC3FX ends.

The Switchcraft D3F and D3M panel jacks can be a bit challenging because of the differences in the panel mounting requirements of the female vs. male jacks... I prefer the same-same panel mount footprint of the "D" series Neutrik and Switchcraft panel mounts that have this universal sized mounting footprint.

• Members

2 totally different applications. Speakon is only applicable to speaker wiring and XLR is only applicable to mic and balanced line wiring.

There is no reason to use XLR on speakers these days and plenty of reasons not to.

Gotcha! Thanks. So then obviously the Speakon cables are going to be better than the heavy duty 1/4 inch and banana plug cables I am using now, right?

• Members

2 totally different applications. Speakon is only applicable to speaker wiring and XLR is only applicable to mic and balanced line wiring.

There is no reason to use XLR on speakers these days and plenty of reasons not to.

That reminds me many years ago when I saw someone using edison plugs/connects/receps for speaker box connections. I heard later that someone plugged a box into the AC. Didn't go well.

• Members

There are many manufactures of "regular XLR" connectors. I believe Cannon originated the XLR connector (possibly pre-dating WWII)... "X" referred to the series, "L" referred to the latch, "R" referred to the type or possibly the construction of the connector body material. Hence "XLR".

Switchcraft was another early manufacture (1946?) of XLR connectors... the Switchcraft A3F and A3M cord ends and D3F and D3M panel jacks were very common.

I believe Neutrik began production of various connector products in approx. 1975. Neutrik currently manufactures a wide variety of audio connectors, including XLR models; however, Neutrik is well known (synonymous) for their popular "Speakon" model of loud speaker connectors (which is not an XLR type connector).

There are certainly debates concerning the merits of the various manufactures of connectors, and there are other debates concerning suitability of different types of connectors for various applications... but generally these are two different debates.

And Clair Brothers still orders the Canon's plug over Neutrik & Switchcraft.

• Members

Every so often you might encounter an old (think 60's and 70's) guitar or bass cabinet that has an XLR female jack. This might be what iniitally confused the OP.

IINM the Ampeg B series "Fliptop" rigs used them, but I'm not certain.

Yes, it was that and also the fact that I was wondering if it would be advantageous for a non-locking connection to PA speakers. My thinking was in case a fan or patron of the bar trips over a wire going to a cabinet and yanks it out, or with a locking connector, it just breaks potentially damaging the speaker, or worse, knocking it off a stand. lol That's why, in my bizarre mental state, I was thinking there might be some advantages to an XLR or even a heavy stereo jack since it could just yank in the event it is pulled hard. I think the speak-ons are twist and lock, right?

Again, I am sure I am just being a nervous nilly lol.

Archived