Ball-tingling tones. Show us yours (your tones)

Willyguitar

• Members
Ball tingling tones? Where are they?

I expected to open this thread and get some audio samples at least.

Let's hear yours!

You could click the links in my sig, plenty of samples there. The iTunes are longer samples but you have to load an app.

If that's not enough there's lots of crazy stuff here:

http://voodoowing.com/burgess/

These are not tone samples just stuff I've posted in the past. None of these are live amp tones except Voodoo Chile. The rest are all modelers.

• Members

I use a Digitech RP-12 ( Used as a controller/ 128 patches), and RP-1 ( 75 patches) and a Digitech 2112 ( 100 amp simulations), to simulate many different amps for Blues, Classic Rock , 80's Metal, Thrash, Neo-Classical / Shred tones.

I have a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster, a Boss 7 band EQ ( to make my overdrive / distortion more sensitive), VHT Valvulator ( has a 12AX7 tube), Rp-12, Rp-1 ( in the effects loop : S.D. Pickup booster, MXR 10 band EQ, BBE Stomp Sonic and a Hush N.R. pedal) and then to another VHT. The VHT lowers the impedance from high to low, puts analog warmth ( it works too) in my signal. Then to :

Rack # 1.

ETA Power Conditioner

Hush X2C noise reduction unit

BBE 462 sonic maximizer

2 DOD 32 band EQ's

Behringer 1124 Feedback Destroyer Pro ( for the 12 band Parametric EQ)

Hush X2C noise reduction unit

BBE 462 sonic maximizer

Rack # 2.

Monster 2500 power conditioner

Hush Super C noise reduction unit ( one channel going into the effects loop of my amp, the other to the front of amp)

BBE 362 sonic maximizer ( one channel going into the effects loop of my amp, the other to the front of amp)

My 2112 rack unit has two 12AX7 tubes, then to my power amps and finally my Laney cabinets with Fane and Celestion Greenbacks.

​This set up has given me reliable consistent tones over the years and gives my ideal tones on stage or when I record on my ancient Tascam recorder.

One great thing about the Behringer F.B. Destroyer is the parametric EQ ( has only 10 patches), After my signal goes through my two 32 band EQ's, the F.B. adds the fine tuned tones I need.

Like if I'm using a single coil pick up that hums too much, I'll use the F.B. parametric EQ to zero in on that 60hz cycle hum, lower the gain and drop the db's down until the hum disappears out of my signal.

I'll have different Parametric EQ's for my Acoustic / Electric guitar, for single coil guitars, Thrash ( scooped mids), Classic Rock, Blues, 1980's Metal or 1960's / 1970's guitar tones.

• Members

I don't have a recipe - mostly because I don't have much in the way of amps. I have a little vox (that really doesn't sound much like the real thing - maaaan I miss that AC30 I used to have) and a larger Carlsboro, neither of which has much variety, at least not if you want to make a pleasant sound.

Although I play acoustic live, for electric I mostly record, and there I've found a few nice recipes; but the trouble is it's very unlikely many will have the same plugins with the same card for the same recording software I do (just because there are so many choices out there) so I'm not sure how useful it'd be for me to post 'em. Can if anyone wants to know though.

I do love the sounds I get from my Gretsch 5124 (electromatic with DeArmond 2000 pups) on this one; The guitars come in around 45 seconds in, one with a little overdrive, the other with a chopper kind of effect. Maybe not to everyone's taste but hey, I like :)

[video=youtube;_3nTSLMh6BY]

[irony] Of course when it comes down to it, it's my superior skills wot makes it sound nice [/irony]

• Members

You will get my ball tingling tones (at least the ones I described) in due course. I think this thread has been completely misunderstood by a lot of people. 'Ball tingling' was not in any way hubris. It was an attempt at comedy. You may or may not like the sounds I eventually post up, but I like them. That's the point - sounds you produce that YOU like, which may lead to other people trying them, to see what they think. NOT (as Knotty pointed out) a cock measuring exercise.

Then there is the issue of 'tones'. I sort of assumed that we all know that great players can be excellent with almost any equipment. That surely goes without saying and we've heard in ad infinitum on here. However, I am interested in the sounds YOU like and how you get them... that could be from a specific playing technique, or it could be from a guitar/amp setting. It might have nothing to do with the assumed 'quality' of your gear.

And to those that posted essay-length responses on how they can get a sound they love on the hoof out of everything - what do you do when, having got your sound on the hoof, someone in the audience, or the vocalist points out that your solo was not cutting through, because it was too bassy, or had too much distortion? Are you willing to accept then that you are not always right about your sound, and that you need to think about it a bit more? THAT's what I'm talking about.

I will get them now! "in due course?..

"In due course!" Hahahahahaha.

Archived