Am I the only one....................

• Members

It seems to me that most of the older movies were dialog driven, and the effects and sound track were designed to serve the dialog.

It seems like many of the newer movies are effects driven, the music is meant to enhance the effect and the dialog is less important than chases and explosions.

I don't go to the theater anymore. I brought a sound level meter in, and found the volume to peak at instant ear-damaging 124db (A weighted, slow response). At that volume, the damage is permanent. My ears are my most important musical instrument, so I need to protect them.

Notes

• Members
I just want to throw out there that there are plenty of movies that are still dialogue-driven and don't have super loud pumping orchestras and explosions and CGI effects.

Yeah, but who wants to pay 50 bucks to see those? :)

But, yes, there still are a lot of very good adult dramas and indie films being made that aren't about the noise. Actually, probably more now than ever. Retired boomers are the new hot market for the movie studios. My in-laws go to the theater all the time. Notice all the movies about and targeted to older folks lately.

Was just listening to a story on NPR the other day about how the latest thing in movies is they've figured out that if they make a good drama or comedy (or often even a bad one) on a small budget (a small budget these days in under $30 million....) that they can make a good profit on these films will relatively low risk.

Go figure!

• Members

Was just listening to a story on NPR the other day about how the latest thing in movies is they've figured out that if they make a good drama or comedy (or often even a bad one) on a small budget (a small budget these days in under $30 million....) that they can make a good profit on these films will relatively low risk.

Go figure!

WHAT? A quality product results in profits? Heresy!

• Members

People want to see good movies. It's that simple.

I know it's quite popular to say that the public is stupid, generation ____ is dumber and has shorter attention span than before, etc., but the simple fact of the matter is that people want to go to see a good movie.

They want good acting, a good engaging story (or at least something interesting), and something cool to look at. "Sideways", "Blair Witch Project", etc. are called "surprises" mostly by mega-movie industries who employ hacks like Michael Bay. Everyone else just likes seeing and talking about really great movies. People were buzzing about both those movies and jillions more before they came out because, well, they looked good.

If "Transformers" put even a million or two into a decent story instead of their CGI department, they would make a lot more money. "Dawn of the Planet of the Apes" is proof positive that you can have a good, emotional story with special effects, and people will respond really favorably to it (91% rating on Rotten Tomatoes).

• Members

I don't go to the theater anymore. I brought a sound level meter in, and found the volume to peak at instant ear-damaging 124db (A weighted, slow response). At that volume, the damage is permanent. My ears are my most important musical instrument, so I need to protect them.

Notes

So now I need to wear my earplugs at the SHOW as well as to bars and concerts?

Did any of these new producers ever hear of AUDIO DUCKING...a little bit of that would also help.

Dan

• Members
The effects driven movies are only there because they sell a lot of tickets. In other words, they're only there by popular demand. And I find that a little sad.
The major attraction for the studios for the effects-driven movies is that they do so well overseas. Makes sense that a subtitled or dubbed action film is going to translate much better than a drama or a comedy.

• Members
The major attraction for the studios for the effects-driven movies is that they do so well overseas. Makes sense that a subtitled or dubbed action film is going to translate much better than a drama or a comedy.

Set an action flick in the US and people in the 3rd world can watch it the way we'd watch a sci fi oater. But a thoughtful drama that refers to subtleties of life in the US or the UK is going to fly right past even those in the audience who speak English reasonably well.

And, you know, when's the last time you watched a thoughtful character drama set on Mars?

• Members

Set an action flick in the US and people in the 3rd world can watch it the way we'd watch a sci fi oater. But a thoughtful drama that refers to subtleties of life in the US or the UK is going to fly right past even those in the audience who speak English reasonably well.

And, you know, when's the last time you watched a thoughtful character drama set on Mars?

Well, I'm actually a big fan of foreign films and think that most foreign character-driven dramas (at the least the ones good enough to make it to the US) are better than what we come up with here. Much richer characters and deeper subtleties even WITH the language barrier and what gets lost by trying to read and watch the action on screen on the same time.

But the US market for that is quite small, and I see no reason why the overseas market for our dramas would be any bigger.

• Members

Well, I'm actually a big fan of foreign films and think that most foreign character-driven dramas (at the least the ones good enough to make it to the US) are better than what we come up with here. Much richer characters and deeper subtleties even WITH the language barrier and what gets lost by trying to read and watch the action on screen on the same time.

But the US market for that is quite small, and I see no reason why the overseas market for our dramas would be any bigger.

Well, the withering education level in the US vis a vis our European and Indian counterparts probably means a larger audience in those regions for thoughtful American films than the reverse, but, yeah, it's all totally dwarfed by the enormous international market for shoot 'em up, crash 'em up, blow 'em up action flicks.

• Members

Well, I'm actually a big fan of foreign films and think that most foreign character-driven dramas (at the least the ones good enough to make it to the US) are better than what we come up with here.<...>

I agree. And I must add, the foreign films that I have enjoyed and have been re-done by Hollywood aren't nearly as good as the originals. They tend to be shallower in the plot and character development and often 'dumbed down".

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

Have any of you guys overseas seen movies that were originally done in the US and had either voice overs by the original actors in another language or actual shots done of those other languages?

I saw some documentary awhile back where a movie had multi lingual shots done. I'm not sure if it was a trend or just that one particular movie being done but they basically shot multiple shots of the same scenes with the actors speaking the parts in multiple languages. Then they just did multiple edits in the same places. Its a whole lot better then sub titles or voice overs.

Like I said, it may have just been that one movie but I thought it was pretty cool. Of course knowing there is other versions would be difficult to know if you only know that one movie in that one language.

Here's some examples.

http://www.vulture.com/2013/02/oscar-nominated-kon-tiki-will-hit-america-in-non-oscar-nominated-english-version.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/angelina-jolie-shot-two-versions-48379

http://movies.ndtv.com/bollywood/2013-the-year-of-multi-lingual-films-in-bollywood-313864

http://www.movieweb.com/news/the-wolverine-to-feature-multiple-languages-says-director-james-mangold

Of course its not a new thing.

http://www.filmreference.com/encyclopedia/Criticism-Ideology/Dubbing-and-Subtitling-EARLY-SOUND-FILM-AND-MULTIPLE-LANGUAGE-VERSIONS.html

I can see this being done with computer animation at some point to cut the cost of reshooting an entire scene. Reanimating the lips and dubbing in the proper voices would seem to be something that can be done more effectively but like many voice overs, the words would need to be spoken and recorded on set to have the right sound quality. Normal dub overs have the same "Room" sound which makes them all seem amateur.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've met a few people who use an FMR RNC before the audio hits their speakers.

I've had a running joke with some friends about this:

Are you tired of constantly reaching for the remote control to turn the volume up and down while watching movies? Too low and you can't understand the dialog. Too high and you disturb the neighbors. Get the new Ronco Automatic Volume Turner Upper Downer. Just hook this ingenious little device between your DVD or Blue Ray player and no more having to constantly adjust the volume control while watching the latest Hollywood blockbusters. No more waking the kids or scaring the pets. Call now. Just $99.95. Operators are waiting to take your call !

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Am I the only one who notices this? It seems that all of the recent movies and programs on Netflix and many other new shows, have the MUSIC SOUNDTRACKS VOLUME WAY UP , and the dialogue way down. To hear every word the actors are saying , you must turn the volume way up, but when the music starts your ears almost bleed !!

Dan

No, you're not the only one. It's kind of ironic because the trend has been a decrease in dynamic range over the last few decades, in other words the "loudness wars." This is the opposite problem: far too much dynamic range. I don't know what causes it exactly, but believe it has to do with surround mixes being converted to stereo. If somebody already said this, I apologize.

Archived