How to play Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo - like the record man!

kyboch

• Members

Here's my lesson on the rhythm guitar parts to Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo by Rick Derringer. This is one of those tunes that sounds a lot easier than it is. Most guys tend to play a simplified version, but the guitar parts on the recorded version are really awesome and tricky to play. The song is a lot faster than it seems. It's a GREAT workout and will definitely make your rhythm playing a lot better!

I hope you get something out of it. Cheers everyone.

• Members

I do like the original version on the Johnny Winter And followed by the Roadwork live album over Derringers solo album. I got to see Winter and Derringer play that together before that band broke up and it was like nothing else I had ever seen. Definitely a once in a lifetime event. I also saw Derringer play in his solo band several times in Asbury Park and NY. My old band even opened for him at one gig. There's a bunch of songs he did in that concert tour that were exceptional. Derringer is a very nice guy and a major talent few seem to recognize beyond that one song he did.

• Members

Wqrqrstlmnop, or however you pronounce your name, what does any of that have to do with this dude's awesome video? Where did you get the crazy idea that anyone is interested what version of this song is your personal favorite? And then to not even comment on the video at all? See what mean? Whats your point?

• Members
Wqrqrstlmnop' date=' or however you pronounce your name, what does any of that have to do with this dude's awesome video? Where did you get the crazy idea that anyone is interested what version of this song is your personal favorite? And then to not even comment on the video at all? See what mean? Whats your point?[/quote']

I think you are supposed to be impressed. At least it was one of his slimmer novels.

• Members
I do like the original version on the Johnny Winter And followed by the Roadwork live album over Derringers solo album. I got to see Winter and Derringer play that together before that band broke up and it was like nothing else I had ever seen. Definitely a once in a lifetime event. I also saw Derringer play in his solo band several times in Asbury Park and NY. My old band even opened for him at one gig. There's a bunch of songs he did in that concert tour that were exceptional. Derringer is a very nice guy and a major talent few seem to recognize beyond that one song he did.

I never saw Johnny & Rick together, but I got to see Johnny's incendiary solo version of the song at Fitzgerald's in the late 80s/early 90s on the 'Let Me In' tour. I can't imagine a better version than what I saw.

• Members
I could watch your lessons all day' date=' you're a great player, OP. :)[/quote']

Hey stringbender, good to see you in here bro! Thanks for watching and for the nice comment, I appreciate it.

• Members
Excellent video. Great playing and good teaching.

Are you from the Vancouver area?

Hey gardo, thanks very much for the nice comment bud. Yeah, I'm from Vancouver, Canada, how'd you know?

• Members
Wqrqrstlmnop' date=' or however you pronounce your name, what does any of that have to do with this dude's awesome video? Where did you get the crazy idea that anyone is interested what version of this song is your personal favorite? And then to not even comment on the video at all? See what mean? Whats your point?[/quote']

Does everyone around here have to share your opinion? The reason I made my post was many people don't even know there were several versions to that same song which consisted of two guitar parts and they may want to compare them. Knowing all versions can only make you a better player, especially if they ever perform it in a band with a second guitarist.

As far as this version, I thought the guitarist did a fine job copying the song and he also had the right sound dialed up. That may not sound like a raving review to you but I wouldn't have even posted here if I thought it was crap.

I'll also add my preferences are biased towards the original artist. Many may not know Derringer was one of the first guitarists to sell training videos like this on VCR back in the late 80's with him playing those riffs plus much more. Its likely out of print now and extremely hard to find. If anyone has the chance to get their hands on one, grab it. Derringer himself shows you how to play many of those riffs and "more importantly" he gives you the hand exercises he personally developed to train your hands to play those riffs as well as he does.

Years later he said he regretted making those training videos and giving away his trade secrets. I cant remember his exact words, but he wished players ripping him off note for note, would take what he taught them and develop their own riffs instead. Maybe he was having a hard time marketing his music with everyone out there wearing out his techniques when he said that. I understood what he was talking about because I myself was guilty of copying his style back then. I can say that did influence my perception of music because I no longer idolize other musicians. I see them as coworkers and I respect those who earn it.

• Members

Hey gardo, thanks very much for the nice comment bud. Yeah, I'm from Vancouver, Canada, how'd you know?

One of my favorite things about Vancouver was a street where musicians would gather in the evening. It seemed like there was someone in front of almost every building performing. This was about 25 years ago ,is that still happening?

• Members

Has nothing to do with my opinion whatsoever. Just looked like you were more interested in making the thread about you than anything else, so much so that you conpletely ignored that there was a very great instructionsl video posted that a dude put a lot of work into and posted for feedback and for us to enjoy. And yet, here you are again, making sure we are all aware and clearly understand what your preferences with this song are. Yes. We heard you the first time. Thanks for sharing.

• Members

Great lesson Kyboch, I spent about an hour with it this morning, and if you aren't 100% on the money...then you are 99.9%...what other lessons do you have planned for the future? Please keep them coming..... don't get me wrong...... I can read tab with the best of them and in real time..... but IMHO learning along with a good instructional WITHOUT tab is the best way to train the ears.

• Members

Good stuff as always Kyboch. Have been playing the main riffs of this song for awhile (not performing) but am excited to fill it out with the variations you provide so I can maybe play it at the next jam. Thx, and keep up the good work.

• Members
Been through Vancouver many times on my way up to Whistler' date=' but never really stopped long enough to do much more than eat. I love driving through the city though. It is a beautiful city.[/quote']

Hey Dave, yeah Vancouver is a beautiful place for sure, hey I listened again to some of your tracks and I think I might have already told you but they are really good, very pro sounding. Keep rocking brother!

• Members

One of my favorite things about Vancouver was a street where musicians would gather in the evening. It seemed like there was someone in front of almost every building performing. This was about 25 years ago ,is that still happening?

Hey gardo, yeah there's still plenty of street performers up here, but now I think they have to audition to get the prime locations! The suits in charge have to have order I guess, better than having the buskers slugging it out to get the hot corner haha!

• Members
Great lesson Kyboch' date=' I spent about an hour with it this morning, and if you aren't 100% on the money...then you are 99.9%...what other lessons do you have planned for the future? Please keep them coming..... don't get me wrong...... I can read tab with the best of them and in real time..... but IMHO learning along with a good instructional WITHOUT tab is the best way to train the ears.[/quote']

Hey Scottie thanks for that bud. Yeah, I agree completely. I HATE tabs! There mostly ALL wrong! And to me it's cheating because you miss the part where you develop your ear, so you wind up cheating yourself right, kinda like paint by numbers. I guess you could say the same about my vids too, but it's more real and you will retain what you learn and have a better understanding of what's going on by watching and listening IMHO. Thanks for watching and for the nice comment bro! cheers

I'm actually not sure what I'll tackle next, I think I'm gonna do another Gary Moore pentatonic lick thing and then I think I might do a lesson on how to add stuff to the pentatonic scale to help guys who feel that they're getting stale.

• Members
Good stuff as always Kyboch. Have been playing the main riffs of this song for awhile (not performing) but am excited to fill it out with the variations you provide so I can maybe play it at the next jam. Thx' date=' and keep up the good work.[/quote']

Thanks a lot wankdeplank! Your tag line says it all to me, it really is all about listening! cheers bud

Archived