How to play Rock and Roll, Hoochie Koo - like the record man!

kyboch

• Members

Hey Scottie thanks for that bud. Yeah, I agree completely. I HATE tabs! There mostly ALL wrong! And to me it's cheating because you miss the part where you develop your ear, so you wind up cheating yourself right, kinda like paint by numbers. I guess you could say the same about my vids too, but it's more real and you will retain what you learn and have a better understanding of what's going on by watching and listening IMHO. Thanks for watching and for the nice comment bro! cheers

I'm actually not sure what I'll tackle next, I think I'm gonna do another Gary Moore pentatonic lick thing and then I think I might do a lesson on how to add stuff to the pentatonic scale to help guys who feel that they're getting stale.

Consider this a big vote for the expanding the pentatonic vid.

• Members

Hey Scottie thanks for that bud. Yeah, I agree completely. I HATE tabs! There mostly ALL wrong! And to me it's cheating because you miss the part where you develop your ear, so you wind up cheating yourself right, kinda like paint by numbers. I guess you could say the same about my vids too, but it's more real and you will retain what you learn and have a better understanding of what's going on by watching and listening IMHO. Thanks for watching and for the nice comment bro! cheers

I'm actually not sure what I'll tackle next, I think I'm gonna do another Gary Moore pentatonic lick thing and then I think I might do a lesson on how to add stuff to the pentatonic scale to help guys who feel that they're getting stale.

My top requests would be:

1) AC/DC's "Gone Shooting"

[video=youtube;m64lIa7tRI0]

2) How to play Eric Clapton's cover of Don't Think Twice It's Alright

[video=youtube;qyL0LyozYWY]

• Members

Excellent video! I checked out a couple of your others and they are all excellent. Thanks for putting them up,

I saw Rick by with the Edgar Winter Group and by himself a number of times. They played a local roadhouse in W Mass in a regular basis. Both groups would blow the roof off the place.

Young Rick:

[video=youtube;zoZ5JL3gmHo]

• Members
Excellent video! I checked out a couple of your others and they are all excellent. Thanks for putting them up,

I saw Rick by with the Edgar Winter Group and by himself a number of times. They played a local roadhouse in W Mass in a regular basis. Both groups would blow the roof off the place.

Young Rick:

[video=youtube;zoZ5JL3gmHo]

Would the chick in that video baby-dance

• Members

Does everyone around here have to share your opinion? The reason I made my post was many people don't even know there were several versions to that same song which consisted of two guitar parts and they may want to compare them. Knowing all versions can only make you a better player, especially if they ever perform it in a band with a second guitarist.

As far as this version, I thought the guitarist did a fine job copying the song and he also had the right sound dialed up. That may not sound like a raving review to you but I wouldn't have even posted here if I thought it was crap.

I'll also add my preferences are biased towards the original artist. Many may not know Derringer was one of the first guitarists to sell training videos like this on VCR back in the late 80's with him playing those riffs plus much more. Its likely out of print now and extremely hard to find. If anyone has the chance to get their hands on one, grab it. Derringer himself shows you how to play many of those riffs and "more importantly" he gives you the hand exercises he personally developed to train your hands to play those riffs as well as he does.

Years later he said he regretted making those training videos and giving away his trade secrets. I cant remember his exact words, but he wished players ripping him off note for note, would take what he taught them and develop their own riffs instead. Maybe he was having a hard time marketing his music with everyone out there wearing out his techniques when he said that. I understood what he was talking about because I myself was guilty of copying his style back then. I can say that did influence my perception of music because I no longer idolize other musicians. I see them as coworkers and I respect those who earn it.

No.

• Members
BTW' date=' Rick Derringer plays the solo in Weird Al Yakovic's [i']Beat It![/i] parody, Eat It! Derringer doesn't appear in the video tho, (probably too ashamed, lol)

[video=youtube;ZcJjMnHoIBI]

Hey humbuckerstrat, that's so cool man! When I was researching this song I had read that he produced Weird Al but I never knew he played that solo. Haha Weird Al, my favorite of his was Fat, the fat costume was awesome.

cheers

• Members

Hey humbuckerstrat, that's so cool man! When I was researching this song I had read that he produced Weird Al but I never knew he played that solo. Haha Weird Al, my favorite of his was Fat, the fat costume was awesome.

cheers

Yeah, Fat is really funny, too. I didn't know Derringer produced the Weird Al songs, but it makes sense, he's a great producer philthumb

• 2 weeks later...

Archived