A question for drummers about our drummer pushing the beat.

New Trail

• Members

By listening at rehearsals and by listening back to recordings of rehearsals I have decided that I think our drummer is pushing the beat. I don't think he's rushing, but just pushing instead of laying back, or playing behind the beat, which I think is more fitting for our original material. Is there any way to change that? What words do I use/

• Members

play him the tape.

If you think his ego can't handle it and he'll be a baby about it then maybe play the tape and say something like "I think we're ALL rushing a bit...maybe we should try laying back on the beat a bit"....lol..

If he's cool about a little constructive criticism then maybe say "can you try laying back on the beat a few times just so we can hear how it sounds"....

something like that.

If he's a baby about all those kind of things...then fire him and get a new drummer.

• Members

Nuther thing. In my trials and tribulations concsussionating, I've identified this 'who went first syndrome' that simply is:

Due to the aural feedback loop, having to play to an existing track can cause latency. This can produce numerous effects in a band; some good, others not so much.

In your situation, say your drummer is not thrilled with the song and is simply plowing ahead with it. He may be dead on with great feel but not organically influenced. The verts on the other hand have the responsibility of performing the tune and need to lean on the drum beat. This puts the drums first and the rest of the band on latency. Who's fault?

Anyway, just rambling. lol Need example.

• Members

I have had issues with not playing behind the beat when needed. A guit player (who is also a very good drummer) in a blues band I was in summed it for me. Play the snare as though it were almost a flam with the right hand as the one behind the beat. Also play him an example of what you are wanting and compare it to what he's doing on the recording.

And check this out:

[YOUTUBE]IPuRMdKfjEU[/YOUTUBE]

Hope it helps.

• Members

Absolutely play him the tape and bring it up as "hey, this sounds like it's pushing - think we could try it holding it behind the beat a bit?" Remember that every drummer's style is different, and that includes how they adhere to the beat and tempo. I think it's better to have a drummer playing ahead of the beat than one too far behind, but you have to communicate it WITH them, not TO them, and grow the feel as a band.

Who knows? Maybe he feels like he's pushing because the bassist already is. :)

• Members

Explain this concept of the beat with him...everyone has their own concept of where the beat is. Say your guitarist plays behind the beat...pinpoint that on say something near you like a guitar body. Now your bass plays right on the beat...spread your fingers apart. (You) He now plays ahead of the beat...the three of you now form a beat that's as wide as the grand canyon because you're all not landing together at the same time. That means your tune pulse is now weak and sloppy and the drive is diminished. In order to be in sync. you all have to pulse together at the same pinpoint instance.

A lotof drummers play on the leading edge, and if everyone in the band does, it comes off as agressive...if not, it's Le Junk! Tell him to concentrate on playing on all the offbeats instead of on the main downbeats. He just need to straighten and even out his 8th note pulse...

• Members

Here's what I do.

I'm in a phase of of mechanizing my chops. Think CNC machine. Does what you program. Real technique.

That's the brag of it. The reality of it is without titanium parts and 20 gig more ram, I'm barely scratching the surface

BUT

consistent, full range strokes go a long way toward consistency and consistent strokes are key to stable time without sacrificing feel.

Music's the limit; not just phantom flams on 3. Everything you play. Skim or drag figures as if they were decals or graphics templates - all by feelin' 'em that way.

• Members
Here's what I do.

I'm in a phase of of mechanizing my chops. Think CNC machine. Does what you program. Real technique.

That's the brag of it. The reality of it is without titanium parts and 20 gig more ram, I'm barely scratching the surface

BUT

consistent, full range strokes go a long way toward consistency and consistent strokes are key to stable time without sacrificing feel.

Music's the limit; not just phantom flams on 3. Everything you play. Skim or drag figures as if they were decals or graphics templates - all by feelin' 'em that way.

sooo...he needs more ram?

gotcha.

• Members
play him the tape.

If you think his ego can't handle it and he'll be a baby about it then maybe play the tape and say something like "I think we're ALL rushing a bit...maybe we should try laying back on the beat a bit"....lol..

If he's cool about a little constructive criticism then maybe say "can you try laying back on the beat a few times just so we can hear how it sounds"....

something like that.

If he's a baby about all those kind of things...then fire him and get a new drummer.

I'd go with this, myself. However, be sure that you yourself are not contributing to the issue. Self criticism is often difficult. Go in with an open mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived