Finishing Touch

steve mac

• Members

Anyone have any cool last thing to say or play at the end of a gig. I did a three hour one the other night and at the end the crowd where all singing along and I ended with a "thank you, goodnight" there then followed a goodly amount of applause, a quick bow to the side of my microphone stand and then .. well nothing. The house music took a few minutes to come on so there was basically silence, except for a few shouts for more whilst I started the breakdown and load out. I was wondering about putting an exit tune al la Elvis , perhaps something humorous followed by a couple of middle of the road songs, until the house gets back in control. The problem is of course I would have to wait to break down. I do already have five songs mixed that I put on at the beginning so that I have control of when I start and am not trying to get the attention of a bartender to switch off their music. Any thoughts. Cheers Steve

• Members

Believe or not, I had a short playlist from Ren and Stimpy's You Eediot! album that has the mostly instrumental music: Big House Blues, Smokin', Dog Pound Hop, Muddy Mudskipper and Log Blues Log Theme. The music is kind of a cool slightly jazzy eclectic sound that's familiar but can't be pinpointed unless you've seen the show. The first three are about eight minutes and change and usually allows plenty of time to put away a guitar and (hopefully) get the attention of whoever should be turning on the house music. We've rarely every played much beyond halfway through the third song. Which is good because it gets weird after that with Muddy (a pretend talk show theme) and Log (a parody of Slinky ads), although both have the same sound as the others. After that... Well... There's a song called Don't Whiz on the Electric Fence, a really catchy song of questionable taste. If it gets that far, their staff is laying down on the job! Actually I've never let that one play, but so wanted to at some gigs.

• Members

I can only think of one gig where I'm "allowed" to play break music, and that's a band gig. All my other gigs the house playes the music or none gets played. Well except for a month ago where the only music this hotel had was a rapper called Drake - at that point I was asked if I had anything better....

So I'm not much help. Although, the Blues Bros. reminded me of Benny Hill's theme (for some reason). That's sufficiently annoying, that the house might even get it together to turn their own music on!

• Members

Nothing special. I rarely put on recorded music once I'm done playing. But when I do, I have several playlists in media monkey that I'll play depending on the crowd. Last Saturday I used the 70s Rock playlist. during my second break which worked out good since I never went back on! I've used big band at nursing homes because it gets real quiet.

• Members

We often play either "Goodnight My Love" (Jesse Belvins/Ray Peterson) or "Last Dance" (Donna Summer) depending on the mood at the end of the gig.

Sometimes the audience hasn't had enough and we do a couple more, but generally the good night song is it.

Notes

• Moderators
I can only think of one gig where I'm "allowed" to play break music, and that's a band gig. All my other gigs the house playes the music or none gets played. Well except for a month ago where the only music this hotel had was a rapper called Drake - at that point I was asked if I had anything better....

So I'm not much help. Although, the Blues Bros. reminded me of Benny Hill's theme (for some reason). That's sufficiently annoying, that the house might even get it together to turn their own music on!

Yackety Sax...

• Members

"Yakety Sax" is the song all sax players love to hate.

Once you get it under your fingers, it's boring. Of course, when I play it I do the best I can.

I play it only when requested. Funny thing about that is when it is requested, there is hardly ever a tip, and when there is a tip, it's usually a buck. The most we ever got for playing it is $2.

On the other hand, I've been paid $60 for playing "Night Train"

There's a message there somewhere, but I don't know what that message is.

Notes

• Members

We announce our last song, do it and then.....usually we get asked for one more, so we oblige and hopefully the audience sing along with us - we usually do "Blue Moon" or "I Left My Heart In San Francisco."

And as we finish that last song and take our applause, I hit the MP3 play button and play some background music at a lower volume.

I usually pick something like Herb Alpert's "Lollipops and Roses" or "Tijuana Taxi."

Something that makes it clear that the live stuff is over.

Then as the song plays through the speakers, I quickly turn off the Foldback Wedges, turn down the faders on the mixer that don't affect the MP3 and usually by then the bar staff have put the house lights up and I switch off the MP3, speakers and mixer.

And the crowd know it's time to go.

• Members

There are quite a few goodnight songs including: Spaniels - goodnight sweetheart, Paul McCartney - goodnight tonight, Goodnight - Cheap Trick. I like goodbye by Oingo Boingo (fast times at ridgemount High) but I don't do it. I used Happy Trails a few times.

• Moderators

this more about play-over music than performed 'sign-off' song. Something you can run off the iPad/tablet into one speaker while you pack the instruments.

Years ago a band I was in did an a capella version of 'Goodnight, Sweetheart' while we packed up, but it really was more for us than the audience. Another band I was in did it as the closer, but not a capella.

Archived