Who Here Is Using iTunes?

• Members

I`ve been using iTunes since… forever. It seems like lately its been misbehaving. I like to manually control whats on my iPhone instead of using the match feature which basically transfers whatever is in your desktop/laptop computer to the iPhone but whenever I manually transfer tunes from my laptop to iPhone, there is no guarantee that the songs will end up where they were placed.

I still listen to an artists album from start to beginning so I like to create albums in iTunes and transfer the entire album to my iPhone but again, its not lining up in my iPhone like it should.

I hope I`m explaining this clearly.. anyone else experiencing these issues in iTunes?

EB

• Members

You can force an album to play by creating a playlist and turning shuffle off. All tunes on an iDevice are in one big "bucket", there's no way to "place" them somewhere specific. There are no "folders", "subdirectories", etc that you might expect if you are coming from an mswindows paradigm.

• CMS Author

Not me. I installed it on a computer once because I couldn't figure out how to install Quicktime without also installing iTunes, and I didnt like that it wanted to be my one and only media player. I could be wrong about this, or maybe right at one time and now it's changed, but I seem to recall that the only way you can play music on an iPhone is to get it in via iTunes. It's one reason why I've been avoiding getting an iPad or iPhone (but not, for sure, the only reason).

• Members

I had it for a while so I could get a podcast listed in iTunes. It dragged a perfectly viable machine into near-unusability. But then bloated software is the norm, now. Still, the fact it's always running is a particular drag. At least most bloated software you can turn on and off. (But, of course, if you could do that easily, you'd quickly see how big and slow it is from how long it takes to load.)

• Members

I also avoid Windows Media Player like the plague -- although it may have improved in recent years. When I got my new W7 box, I uninstalled it.

For local files I use Foobar for audio and VLC for video. I imagine it goes without saying I also avoid QuickTime as much as possible.

I have it on my Mac, and it works fine. I've installed it on my PC and didn't like it, partially because it constantly waged war with WMA, and partially because it seemed to hang and have lots of errors.

Yeah, it's hell on a PC in my experience. Works much better on a Mac. Windows Media Player is okay on the PC, but I'm not a huge fan of either to be honest...

• Members

I have iTunes on PC (Win 7 64 bit) and I detest it. But I also have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2 so I'm in a hell of my own making.

Every version of iTunes on the Wintel platform is worse than the previous. Programmers have become like any other profession - in order to convince their employers and their customers that they need their jobs and (often) a higher salary, they churn out bloatware with 'features' that they can show and tell with their bosses and easily-impressed journalists. As with all bloatware, the core functionality is slowed, even broken, by all the frippery with no way for the hapless end-user to pick and choose only what he needs.

The arrogance of programmers is exemplified by their presumptuous addition of half a dozen background processes - checking for updates, iCloud services, etc etc. At no time are you asked if you wish to install or enable these and only some of them can be disabled via the menus - the rest require registry edits etc. With zero applications active you find your RAM already 30-50% occupied.

To compound matters, I have long been a DIY-er of podcasts, meaning I record them from web streams and edit them (Adobe Audition 3) for content and ad breaks. Most importantly, I use the Delete Silence function to time-compress well beyond whatever savings the 1.5x or 2x speed on the device offers. A so-called 3-hour radio broadcast often squeezes down to 1 hr and some change after the nonsense is stripped away. However, I also apply this treatment to 'official' podcasts acquired via iTunes (since they are mp3 files as well).

But here the problems really begin. Multitudes of users have reported artwork (either supplied via iTunes with the podcast or applied manually) being scrambled when transferring to the device(s). There are database files stored on the device that are supposed to keep all of it organized but they are easily, regularly corrupted. Suddenly artwork A appears for song B while song C has none at all. The only recourse is to delete the content from the device via a sync session and then use a third party utility to manually delete the files (which are still there). THEN one must sync piecemeal - add podcasts back first, then music - all to get the artwork to behave for a few days at most before the problems kick in again. This problem has been identified, duplicated and discussed ad infinitum on the Apple forums but our pleas have been ignored. The 'automatic' sync process is now a manual time-consuming monster.

Making matters worse is the Podcasts app in iOS 7.x. I upgraded my iPad to iOS 7 but kept my iPhone on 6.x because I wanted to keep podcasts part of the music app. The Podcasts app in iOS 7 is a horrifically buggy giant step backward and rightfully the object of scorn from even the most loyal Apple fan.

This is not the place to launch a Samsung v Apple war but needless to say I am not going to work around Apple's self-made problems forever and will soon seek an alternative.

• Members
I'm not sure why you're having this issue. In the iPhone tunes, just select artists. Albums will be listed under that. You can play the whole thing start to finish. Works fine for me.

I stumped too. Every month or so I add new music to my iPhone and delete older stuff. When I tried this operation last week, everything got screwed up. To make matters worse, I have music from one artist appearing in another album. For example, I`ve been listening to Soundgarden a lot lately but their album cover does not show, Daft Punks does! huh?

Its very frustrating. I`ve been using Apple products since 2001 and iTunes never gave me a problem until this new version...

• Members
I have iTunes on PC (Win 7 64 bit) and I detest it. But I also have an iPhone 5 and an iPad 2 so I'm in a hell of my own making.

Every version of iTunes on the Wintel platform is worse than the previous. Programmers have [...]

TBH, I think there is a corporate culture issue at work here.

Look at the way that Apple programmers approach things. Both Safari and Chrome start from the same WebKit Open Source browser code base.

But just LOOK at how very differently they come out in terms of performance and reliability. On either platform.

Archived