Opinions on Artist Signature guitars

torbonator

• Members

I was just wondering what your opinions on Artist Signature guitars. I have the Schecter Synster Gates Special (not the stripy one), it's the best guitar I have ever played without a doubt. But the amount of people who say "you're going to look like an idiot playing gigs with that". Or "What you doing trying to gets syns tone you don't even play lead".

I'm not trying be like Syn, I played the Avenger Hellraiser which I dreamed about getting then I looked into getting Seymour Duncan Invader pick ups and this guitar had both of them together for half the price. Plus it's the only guitar that I know where Invader pick ups come as standard.

I've also heard loads of people laughing at the Zakk Wylde signature Les Paul.

Just wanted to see what peoples experiences are with playing signature models.

• Members

More than a few pro's play Clapton strats. Just a well done guitar.

If you like the guitar and it plays well for you,go for it.  Anyone that is going to laugh about the type of guitar you play should spend a little  more time playing.

People in the crowd don't really know or give a crap what gear your playing as long as it sounds good.

• Members

koiwoi wrote:

I wouldn't consider an artist sig guitar, mostly because they crank the price up so high but also because I think it's kinda weird to have the exact same guitar as someone else. Like "Oh, how original!". I've spent my whole life trying not to sound like everyone else.

I dunno, I was going to get a second hand mahogany guitar and then put invaders in it. But after getting the guitar, gettting the invaders and getting someone to do the pick ups for me it would have cost about £20 less the the signature guitar which had a flyod rose and a nicer neck.

Also theres bands who the guitarists have exactly the same guitars and amp set ups. I would say a lot of people have exactly the same guitar.

• Members

I woudn't buy a guitar because of an artist but I wouldn't not buy one either.

Someone mentioned the Clapton Strat - good example. Great guitar, I'm not a fan of post haircut Clapton but that guitar is great. I'm sure there are others.

• Members

I have two signature model guitars. In both cases I saw them, loved the specs and look, and then realized they were signature models.

First is my Chris Cornell 335.  In this case I saw Chris plaing a flat black 335 and thought "that looks awesome."   When the guitar came out as a sig model in only got better... 60s neck, lollar pickups.  And the green finish and bigsy sealed the deal

photo file_zpsc5480764.jpg

The second is my Wayne Kramer strat.  Cool finish, weird humbucker in the middle position, stars on the headstock..yes! When I saw they were being blown out a few years ago I jumped.

photo WKramer.jpg

At the end of the day, I'm not sure I could play a sig where I had dislike for the artist, but I did cosider the Grace Potter V even though I had no idea who she was.

Long story short... If its a guitar you like then ROCK it, no matter what name is on it.

• Members

I once was talking to another guitarist about my love for an Eric Johnson strat I had played in a music store. His comment was that he would never buy a signature guitar under any circumstances. I laughed and pointed out he was holding his Les Paul while he said that, he then looked pissed and said I didn't get it.

• Members

I had an SRV strat for a long time, and it was a great guitar.  I didn't buy it because it was the sig model, I bought it because I loved the neck and it sounded great.

If a sig model is really visually identifiable it's a bit of a turn-off because it's just *too* associated with one guy (something like the EVH striped series, or the Zakk Wylde bullseye LPs), but for the most part I don't really care.  If it's a good guitar, it's a good guitar, being a signature model doesn't sway me either way.

• Members

Special J wrote:

There are a few guitars that I would be interested in, despite them being sig models, because of the cool features that aren't on other models. The Johnny Marr Jag comes to mind.

kayd\_mon wrote:

Ok, the Chris Cornell 335 is totally cool, and the Grace Potter V looks better than just about any other V.

Yup.

Marr Jag KO

GP Flying V

Archived