VOX TONELAB LE (GUITAR MULTI-EFFECTS PROCESSOR)

Jon Chappell

• Members

Jon,

Thanks for the great answer. I really want multiple effects and the pedals I listed were just to get me by. I think a unit like the Tonelab LE will work for me. I think individual pedals just may turn into a long time pursuit.

I am concerned about transparency and the guitar voices. Thanks again for clarifing that adjusting the effects level will help with that.

I know you can't endorse a product. But for everyone else.

How does the Tonelab LE stack up with the Boss GT-8, Rocktron Uptopia, Digitech RP350, Lines Floor Pod, Plus or XTlive and any other current available MFX processor at $500 mainly tone?

On a side note I do have a Fender G-DEC which is all modaling and it sounds really good with my guitars. I think Fender could do a go job of making it's cyber technology into a floor model but then they wouldn't seel the amps.

Types of music are the basic blues, rock blues, rock, hard rock and metal. Jimi/Trower/SRV/Bonomassa but Randy/Zack/Lynch too.

Thanks to allthumb.gif

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Tonelabs effects sound great but my question is how does the metal distortion sound...I haven't seen anyone show or review it. If anybody could possibly upload a sound clip of it that would be great. . .or at least make a quick review.

Thanks

• Members

Jon - thanks for being a great reviewer and moderator.

I own the TLSE and I really love it. I play it through a Roland keyboard amp, and it has worked great at small gigs. I approach amp modeling as a means of finding my own original sound without having to lug around 70 lbs of tube amplification.

I love having two rocker predals on the SE, and I am bummed to see those go. I also relate to people's wish to have a distortion pedal and vox wah going at the same time. Also, I like the A/B switch on the SE because the reverb and delay keep going after the switch is pressed.

I think the frustration over not being able to use multiple modeled effects at once is simply because the unit sounds so great. I would love to hear the great univibe model along with the great tube screamer model. I'd rather pay Vox the $100 to put that feature under the hood, than drag around another pedal.

I actually wish Vox would produce a more expensive version of the Tonelab with 2 rocker pedals, 2 modeled effects banks, and an A/B switch. Tone geeks like me are willing to spend the money.

I like that I only carry one item to a gig which has everything I need, and almost everything I want.

• Members

Towards the end here, I read about the ability to have effects "spillover" to the other patches.

So say you run a delay for a solo and switch back into rhythm, can that delay "spillover" to the next patch?

Does this new Vox do that?

Some other FX processors that can do it, Rocktron Xpression, Boss GT-8, Zoom GFX-8 (prev generation to the new G series). I think that I remembered reading that the G9 can do it as well.

Also is the pitch shifter intelligent?

How transparent is it when bypassed?

Thank you.

• Members

Another question, is it possible to use the send as a splitter and send a unaffected signal to a recording device?

I'm figuring you can't cause it's wired in series, but it would be really nice if you could.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Nuno_F

View Post

Another question, is it possible to use the send as a splitter and send a unaffected signal to a recording device?

I'm figuring you can't cause it's wired in series, but it would be really nice if you could.

Here's the deal with the Insert jack. You can use the Send as a splitter, because there's always a straight signal coming out of the jack, whether the Insert is activated or not. So, to take your example, here's how you'd wire it:

guitarsignal.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell

View Post

Here's the deal with the Insert jack. You can use the Send as a splitter, because there's always a straight signal coming out of the jack, whether the Insert is activated or not. So, to take your example, here's how you'd wire it:

guitarsignal.jpg

Cool smile.gif

That's perfect then. I am getting myself one of those very soon. Thanks for the help thumb.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by tonyoto

View Post

Hi, and thanks for a great review! I found this, in my mind, beautiful sound in the demos section at Vox featuring one of their single pedals - the V848. Anyone think a similar-ish sound could be achieved with the LE? The demo is called "Vintage Funk Delay Wah Demo".

You're right, this is a tasty and varied showcasing of the Vox V848. Thanks for including the link here. But you raise some interesting philosphical questions:

The 848 is made by Vox, who also makes the wah pedal mechanism and circuitry for the ToneLab. The manual even says that the two modeled wahs in the TLLE are based on the 847 and 848. Presumably, they're going to borrow some mechanical technology -- at least -- from the actual 847/848 to be used in the treadle that's included on the TL.

But just because Vox models their own pedal, is it necessarily any better than another company modeling the effect in question? (Assuming someone has modeled a Vox wah.) Does Fender make the best '59 Bassman effect (their stompbox version) just because they put out the original amp?

Or is this a different case, because of the aforementioned "borrowed technology"? (Many effects between Vox and Korg effects are carried over, because the circuitry is identical.)

We may never know the answer (that's why I called them "philosophical questions"), because it would be hard to prove -- unless you did some real forensic work on the components, and/or you knew someone in Vox's engineering dept.

What you'd have to do is learn the music for the demo, and then try to emulate it on a ToneLab. Or better yet, make the guy who played the original demo on an 848 learn it, and see what he thinks!

• Members

I'm a total noob when it comes to computers and guitars....which leads to the following questions?

My notebook PC and the family PowerBook don't have MIDI. If I get a USB to MIDI converter box will that allow me to edit and create patches using the TTLE software editor? Does TLLE's library store patches/objects in either format, does it matter if some patches are created using a Mac and some a PC? Or must I stick to one flavor of editor? Thanks.

• Members

How are the high gain tones? Can it do a decent heavy tone without buzzing (my main criticism of the POD)?

Also, Jon, do you happen to know if the Vox also models the tone stack of the amp? For instance, on a Mesa, there is an active EQ circuit where the treble control is linked to the gain. So a small change in the treble control drastically alters the tone control as opposed to a Fender where it simply changes the high end a bit. I know this is how the POD's are modeled (at least the XT).

Gonna check one out tonight! And thanks for the review.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jarick

View Post

How are the high gain tones? Can it do a decent heavy tone without buzzing (my main criticism of the POD)?

Also, Jon, do you happen to know if the Vox also models the tone stack of the amp? For instance, on a Mesa, there is an active EQ circuit where the treble control is linked to the gain. So a small change in the treble control drastically alters the tone control as opposed to a Fender where it simply changes the high end a bit. I know this is how the POD's are modeled (at least the XT).

Gonna check one out tonight! And thanks for the review.

I've heard some people say the hi-gain sounds are lacking, but I think they do a very good job. A clip I did was posred a few pages ago which demonstates an over the top hi-gain sound. This was done without any external effcts straight from converter to computer.

• Members

It would be cool if VOX came out with the Tonelab Pro... a rack mount version with 2 Tonelabs inside and set it up so you can switch back and forth between the Tonelabs through velocity and have completely different settings like you can with the GT8.

Something like this perhaps. biggrin.gif

gtpro_md.jpg

I know a lot of people say the Boss is too digital and not as warm as the Tonelab... but what if you put the Boss through a tube amp? I know it's not going to be the same as the Tonelab but at least perhaps give it some warmth! wink.gif

SEA musik_2.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jarick

View Post

The ToneLab does make an effort to model the tone controls (EQ and gain) of the amp (I think this is what you mean). Here's the relevant text, from p. 27 of the manual:

CONTROLLING FACTORS

As already touched on in this manual, although the amp model of your ToneLab LE houses controls for GAIN, VR GAIN, TREBLE, MIDDLE, BASS, PRESENCE and CH VOLUME, not all of the amps we’ve modelled have as many controls. In such cases, rather than leave you with knobs that do nothing (what on earth would be the point of that!?), we’ve made full use of all six (6) ToneLab LE controls without compromising the accuracy of any of our models. This means you’ll be able to mimic the full tonal spectrum of each and every one of the originals we’ve modelled...and then some, thanks to the extra flexibility and additional control the six ToneLab LE controls give you.

For example, if an original amp doesn’t have a complete 3-band EQ network then we’ll set up the “missing” tone controls on our model to be “neutral” (i.e. as the original) when set at 12 o’clock — thus giving you extra tonal flexibility in those EQ areas, if you so wish. Just so you know, the amps we modelled that don’t have individual controls for Treble, Middle and Bass are:

AMP / ORIGINAL TONE CONTROLS

AC15 / Top Cut & Bass Cut Switch

AC15TB / Treble & Bass

AC30 / Top Cut only

AC30TB / Treble, Bass, and Cut

TWEED 1x12 / just one, called Tone!

Also, as you’d probably expect, we do the same exact thing with the ToneLab LE’s PRESENCE control too — namely, if one isn’t present (bad pun, not intended!) on the original, then PRESENCE will be an added control on our model. This time though, the “neutral” position is when the control is all the way off (turned fully counter-clockwise). The two models this applies to are BLACK 2x12 and TWEED 1x12.

IMPORTANT NOTE: As you’ll discover when you read their descriptions, in the case of the AC15, AC15TB, AC30 and AC30TB models, we’ve utilized the PRESENCE control to mimic the TOP CUT control — whether it was present on the original or not.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell

View Post

No, the ToneLab LE can't make your 6 sound like a 12. That would be a job for the Line 6 Variax, the Roland VG Strat, VG-88, or other guitar-modeling system.

Hey Jon!

Here's a thought... how about using the Line 6 Variax then running it through the Tonelab LE? Would that be something worth looking into (to capture that warmth people are looking for)

SEA

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by sea

View Post

Hey Jon! Here's a thought... how about using the Line 6 Variax then running it through the Tonelab LE? Would that be something worth looking into (to capture that warmth people are looking for)

I love the Variax because of its simplicity and uncanny renditions of classic guitars. They won't replace the real thing, but in a mix, they sound pretty darn good. And for some situations -- a show that requires you to switch sounds on a dime -- it's a life-saver. (And who really wants to schlepp and maintain a banjo, 12-string, or Coral sitar for one cue?)

In the all-digital domain, the Variax is best designed to go through the POD XT Live or Vetta amp, because you can use the CAT-5 connection. But you can plug its audio output through any multi-effects processor, including the ToneLab. As a modeling guitar, though, I might not want to stray too far from nature -- preferring to balance the digitally modeled tones with an analog effects and amplification approach.

• Members

Hey Jon! I have just finished reading every post. (all 220! It took me two days!) Anyways, I haven't found any solid information on how well the TL LE can play metal (such as Metallica). I know that it has a metal distortion effect, but I am very curious on how much "metal distortion" it can give off. Could you possible post a sound clip on how much you can get from it?

BTW: Great review so far!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mattsdf

View Post

Hey Jon! I have just finished reading every post. (all 220! It took me two days!) Anyways, I haven't found any solid information on how well the TL LE can play metal (such as Metallica). I know that it has a metal distortion effect, but I am very curious on how much "metal distortion" it can give off. Could you possible post a sound clip on how much you can get from it? BTW: Great review so far!

Glad you found the posts helpful. But "how much metal" the LE can produce is highly subjective and infinitely variable, given the many parameters in the ToneLab. If you don't find any clips that are metal enough from the posts here or at the vox website, I suggest you download the manual and make note of the metal presets. Also, familiarize yourself with the appropriate controls (Pedal Modeler, Amp/Cab sim., EQ). Then go to your local TLLE dealer with notes (the written kind) in hand, and put the LE through its paces.

Or has someone out there in forum land made a specific effort to emulate the Metallica sound with the ToneLab?

• Members

What a great review and a great thread...thanks, Jon. Based on my experience with my AD60VTX, I plan on a TLLE (which seems to overcome many of the drawbacks I did find). As I read through I found that questions I came up with where subsequently answered, specifically about dotted-eighth delay...very happy to find out it does! "Bad" here I come. wink.gif Funny that someone was considering a DD-20 to go with it...I was too.

How about stereo delays...which are true stereo (dry to one side, delayed to another)?

Aslo, I had planned on running through a Crate Powerblock (using the stereo inserts, bypassing the pre) and into a pair of 1x12 cabs, perhaps the new Valve Jr cabs (the Lady Luck supposed to be fairly flat).

• Members

Wow thanks Jon, great advice, and fast reply! thumb.gif I haven't found anything "metal enough" for my tastes yet on any fourms, but considering the processor is still fairly new thats no surpise. In the meantime, I will dowload the manual and check it out ASAP at Long n' Mquade (great store, if anyone is in Canada). But if any TL LE owners do find a good Metallica sounding metal, I would greatly appreciate it if you posted a sound cip of it. Thanks again everyone! Excellent Review!!! smile.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by WaveMagnet

View Post

I'm a total noob when it comes to computers and guitars....which leads to the following questions?

My notebook PC and the family PowerBook don't have MIDI. If I get a USB to MIDI converter box will that allow me to edit and create patches using the TTLE software editor? Does TLLE's library store patches/objects in either format, does it matter if some patches are created using a Mac and some a PC? Or must I stick to one flavor of editor? Thanks.

I just purchased the LE this weekend. I have the converter and it doe's connect with the LE. I haven't tried to edit anything yet.

I did try to set up a few tones thru my AC30 and had practice thru a PA which obviously sounded different.

Would anyone beable to give me the recipe for a good Surf sound and Tom Petty's Last Dance tone.

I hope I don't become a pest but I'm stoked about the new toy.....

Archived