VOX TONELAB LE (GUITAR MULTI-EFFECTS PROCESSOR)

Jon Chappell

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell

View Post

No, I'm saying there's no factory preset in bank/program mode that uses the acoustic simulator model. The factory presets, of course, are designed to show off the unit using all the resources the ToneLab offers, written by really smart product guys using all the right effects and settings. Vox does a shout-out for the acoustic sim. in the promo blurb: "The acoustic simulator now offers the choice between 3 popular acoustic guitar types plus a resonator." But they didn't design a preset around it.

I think the modeled sim. is quite powerful, but it means I have to design my own patch from scratch, and you know how I hate to work. smile.gif

Oh, thanks for the props on the playing, Brad. That was an intro to the Eagles' "Desperado" (in A), followed by "Alice's Restaurant" with a harp-style tag (in C).

Am looking forward to checking out the resonator.

• Members

So I'm in North Carolina on Monday for business and lo and behold there's a ... large well known music store. I walk in and figure I'll get a chance to check the TL LE out. Staff didn't seem to care who was in the store or what they were doing. Matthews needs a new store or some serious attention.

Every guitar I picked up (2 PRS, 2 Les Pauls, an SG, Jackson w/ EMG 81 & 81, some Schecter (same pickups), several classicals and a steel string) was completely out of tune.

Every amp I plugged into had a bad input jack. Was never asked if I needed help and for that matter neither were the other 8 guys in the place. Now that I'm back home will have to test drive locally.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

I think he is asking you to make some clips.

D'oh! Now I get it. Okay, here's a great clip -- recorded direct -- which I found in another forum by guitarist Russ Gann. He's given me permission to post it here.

This is a metal-edged guitar groove done with a ToneLab LE plugged directly into an M-Audio Project Mix I/O and recorded with Sonar. The clip is 3:19, but the guitar solo starts at about 1:58. Listen to the whole track if you can, so you can hear him lay down the rhythm before wailing like an animal over the top. Both rhythm and lead were recorded using the ToneLab.

Russ Gann plays ToneLab LE direct

Here's Russ's website, for more info: http://groups.msn.com/TheGuitarsOfRuss/home.htm

Nice playing, Russ; thanks for the clip.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Diamond

View Post

Staff didn't seem to care who was in the store or what they were doing. Matthews needs a new store or some serious attention.

Every guitar I picked up (2 PRS, 2 Les Pauls, an SG, Jackson w/ EMG 81 & 81, some Schecter (same pickups), several classicals and a steel string) was completely out of tune.

Every amp I plugged into had a bad input jack. Was never asked if I needed help and for that matter neither were the other 8 guys in the place. Now that I'm back home will have to test drive locally.

Amazing. In this day and age, where music gear is such a commodity item, you'd think retailers would understand the importance of service. No excuses for that. I mean, I like being left alone in a music store when I want to be left alone, but when I want help, then I expect service. And good sales people should be able to read customers in this regard. CompUSA recently closed half their stores, and most people reported getting terrible service (I'm one of them) every time they went to one. You have to wonder if that wasn't directly responsible for their demise.

Mr. D., we've talked about this before, but just so others know: If you're going to spend some serious face time with the ToneLab LE at the local music emporium, download the manual and bone up. You can't rely on the sales people to know the unit. There are good sales guys, and then there are the ones Mr. D. ran into.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echoshock

View Post

I already know this will be a stupid question. But I see the LE has an optical SPDIF out. My mixer has an RCA SPDIF input. Uhh what kind of cable would be used in this set up? Every one I see is RCA on both ends.

Thanks

I think it's a good question. There are two kinds of cables for S/DIF digital signals: coax (the kind you're used to seeing, with the RCA plugs) and the fiber-optic, or TOSLINK, kind. In both cases the protocol (information) traveling on them is the same, just the wires are different (optical being superior for signal integrity over longer distances, etc.). Here's what the optical cable and plug look like:

opticalspdif.jpg

• Members

I played the TLLE yesterday at my local shop. As I've said I'm not a power user or even reviewer, just a hobbyist guitar player. But this unit blew me away at how great it sounds. it blew away the sales guy in the store too. i've heard the other ME units in this price range and specifications (although that's a little apple and orange comaprison) and hands down this is going to be the unit I purchase becuase it sounds so well, the physical design is sexy and I like the logic behind the interface and tone design process. In fact if I hadn't lost my job on Tuesday I would have bought the TLLE yesterday.

Rock on!

• Members

View Post

You can buy a converter (like the one pictured below) for about $30.

opticalconverter.jpg

http://www.svideo.com/toslinkcoax1.html

The M-Audio C02 is a good unit, but it's more expensive ($60) and more than you need (it's bi-directional); you're only going one way -- from the ToneLab into the mixer.

Thanks for the tip!

• Members

Hello Folks -

I would like to use my LE in Stomp Box Mode. However, If I enable the "pedal" selector switch and choose, let's say, "Fuzz", then edit this sound with the editing knobs, how can I save the new combination as defaults.

The problem I'm having is that when I switch from "fuzz" to "u-vibe", then back to fuzz, my edits are gone.

Sure, I can save my edits to a program bank, but this is disturbing for stomp box users.

Am I missing something? confused.gif

Proud, but so far disenchanted owner of a new LE.

- Festyx

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Festyx

View Post

Hello Folks -

I would like to use my LE in Stomp Box Mode. However, If I enable the "pedal" selector switch and choose, let's say, "Fuzz", then edit this sound with the editing knobs, how can I save the new combination as defaults.

The problem I'm having is that when I switch from "fuzz" to "u-vibe", then back to fuzz, my edits are gone.

Sure, I can save my edits to a program bank, but this is disturbing for stomp box users.

Am I missing something? confused.gif

Proud, but so far disenchanted owner of a new LE.

- Festyx

When you have the settings where you want them, just hit the "write" button twice. You can make more changes, but the original settings won't change unless you overwrite them by hitting the "write" button twice.

If you're trying to save settings for two different pedal effects, you'll need to save them in two separate banks (ie: 1-1 for fuzz, 1-2 for u-vibe, etc.).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonTech

View Post

When you have the settings where you want them, just hit the "write" button twice. You can make more changes, but the original settings won't change unless you overwrite them by hitting the "write" button twice.

If you're trying to save settings for two different pedal effects, you'll need to save them in two separate banks (ie: 1-1 for fuzz, 1-2 for u-vibe, etc.).

This discussion was touched on in page 4 (http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...&postcount=75).

AndersonTech's workaround is correct, and it's not that hard of a routine to adopt. Think of it this way: you have four locations in any bank (e.g., 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, 1-4). Keep 1-1 as the master stompbox setting and simply save your settings along the way to the other three banks -- bank 2 for pedals, bank 3 for modulation, and bank 4 for delay/reverb. Vox pre-programs only banks 1-10 (40 presets total); banks 11-30 are repeats. So use these additional banks, too. If you get really lost, invoke the "restore factory settings" option. Or better yet, use the ToneLab LE's editor/librarian program (screen shot below).

But mostly you'll make adjustments in order, tapping the Write button twice as you go, and building your sound that way. You might create two settings with different distortion levels, but that's about it. You can easily save to alternate programs (e.g., 1-2, 1-3) for that. Really, this is not a hassle, it's like having two sets of the same stombox collection with different settings.

tonelabeditor.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by adambomb

View Post

i still wanna know if the LE sounds better than a zoom G9 through a tech 21 power engine or some such rig with no preamp coloring.

yes it does...the zoom is garbage..plain and simple..its about as warm as a swarm of bees.. sorry but its the truth..the stupid implimention of the 2 tubes is silly and poor...I mean the tube settings must be changed for each patch you use if you want any versatility ..so picture yourself at a gig changing a patch from a fender to a marshal and then messing with both tube settings...forget it!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Diggerdg

View Post

What were the settings you used for the acoustic clip you posted? Also, would you run and acoustic guitar through the LE and if so, at what settings?

I just took the first preset #1-1, and changed the compressor to acoustic simulator, then used Type 1 (M-Small) for the acoustic type.

Here's a soundclip of me passing my acoustic guitar through the ToneLab LE. The lead guitar is a slide set on the resonator setting (#4), and the rhythm guitar is on acoustic sim #2 (G-Small). This is an Ibanez Artwood model with a saddle transducer.

Acoustic Slide Guitar

I like the funky, mettallic sound of the resonator setting, especially for lead slide work.

• Members

Hello everyone,

I am also new to the TLLE -- is there an easy switch on this piece of equipment to bypass it completely? Like the previous jazzer poster, sometimes I just like to go clean through my amp without any colouring from any unit and then step on a button to turn on all the effects again, simoultaneously. Most of the time that I would be playing I would be using the unit so I realise that this isn't that big of a thing if it's not possible. Also, this may have been covered already but I'm not completely sure -- it seems to me that this unit is quite digital in its electronics. If this is true, will it change the nature of the sound that one would get from a valve amplifier. I would be very disappointed if this unit made a nice (and also expensive!) valve amplifier sound solid state.

Thanks!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by ScouserJam

View Post

Hello everyone,

I am also new to the TLLE -- is there an easy switch on this piece of equipment to bypass it completely?

Yes, just press the current program button and the unit goes into bypass/tuner mode. Press and hold puts the unit in mute/tuner mode.

Quote Originally Posted by ScouserJam

View Post

it seems to me that this unit is quite digital in its electronics.

No, if anything, it's the opposite. Go through the entire thread and you'll see that the emphasis of the ToneLab LE is on the tube sound and the Valve Reactor circuitry -- both analog, not digital. The digital effects are there of course, but not in these two key technologies that the LE focuses on.

• Members

I have been trying out a number of options for guitar amp modeling - and one option I have been considering is a computer setup with Amplitube 2. I am curious of any opinions of how the Tonelab compares to Amplitube in sound.

Also, I didn't see any information on whether or not the editor software works with Intel Macs. Does anyone know?

Thanks.

• Members

View Post

No, if anything, it's the opposite. Go through the entire thread and you'll see that the emphasis of the ToneLab LE is on the tube sound and the Valve Reactor circuitry -- both analog, not digital. The digital effects are there of course, but not in these two key technologies that the LE focuses on.

Woah there big fella. The Tonelab is most certainly a digital modeler. Almost all the processing is digital. The Valve Reactor uses a tube to emulate the feel of a tube power section, but the front end is all digital. That said, it does sound good. Playing it live it sounded, acted and felt like a real amp to me.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by simple

View Post

Also, I didn't see any information on whether or not the editor software works with Intel Macs. Does anyone know?

I've put this question to the Vox folks, and they are working on providing an ETA for the Mac version of the editor. It's not available yet, but when it is, it will be Intel-compatible. As soon as the Mac versin of the editor is released, I'll post the notice here.

Archived