VOX TONELAB LE (GUITAR MULTI-EFFECTS PROCESSOR)

Jon Chappell

• Members

Thanks for your answers.

I'm pretty convinced that the TLLE approach to constructing tone is pretty spot on for what my real needs and wants are at this time. As a total noob to this aspect of guitar playing, the interface with it's knobs really appeals to me. And I'm confident that there is enough tweakability in the TLLE for me to create some great tones and sounds and also "learn what I don't know" providing me ample time to bitch about those things in some future post.....haha.

Time to save my lunch money!

• Replies 704
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hi im new to the forum & by the way its great .
i just purchased the new Tonelab LE and was wondering how i can turn off the amp modeling & the Cabinet modeling so i can use it as just a effects unit or is it possable.
and is it possable to set up the control switch to do this .
i will be using it into a AB switch into a Peavey classic 50 212 & also a Marshall JCM2000 DSK401 tube amps.
will this work as i want to be able to switch between the two amps so i can use the effects on both of them.
any help would be apreciated.
Dave!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wireman1957 View Post
Hi im new to the forum & by the way its great .
i just purchased the new Tonelab LE and was wondering how i can turn off the amp modeling & the Cabinet modeling so i can use it as just a effects unit or is it possable.
and is it possable to set up the control switch to do this. Yes, see my later post on this. --JC
i will be using it into a AB switch into a Peavey classic 50 212 & also a Marshall JCM2000 DSK401 tube amps.
will this work as i want to be able to switch between the two amps so i can use the effects on both of them.
any help would be apreciated.
Dave!
If I remember correctly, just push the button under the amp selector knob to turn the sims off. Roger that. --Jon C.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell View Post
Unless you save along the way (two quick taps of the Write key); then if/when you go back, you'll have your most recently edited setting -- just like in a stompbox. If you really want stompbox mode (and many times you do), that's how you'd do it. (You can copy preset banks to have your "working stompbox" version in addition to your master version, when you want to step up and down through full programs.) And again, we're talking about points common to many m-f/x, not just the TL LE.

Hello Jon,

My daughter just called to tell me my LE arrived today. Uh oh. Should we tell your boss that you'll be knocking off early? Or at least that you'll be distracted? smile.gif--JC I want you to know that I've appreciated your input. And, I'll probably bother you with a question or two too. Please feel free to "bother away!" Note the recent discussion on turning off the amp/cab sims, too. And post some tones, if the spirit moves you! --JC

Take care,

George

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wireman1957 View Post
and is it possable to set up the control switch to do this .
Just to further expand on the affirmative answer provided by GCDEF (with my edit), and to address your other question:

Yes, you can assign the "on/off" status of the amp or amp/cab sim. to the Control switch, and you can do this in either program mode or stompbox mode.

The designers of the ToneLab LE obviously recognized that people would want to turn off the amp/cab sim to use just the effects, and so made this feature available in both modes.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GWS5987 View Post
Hello Jon,

My daughter just called to tell me my LE arrived today. Uh oh. Should we tell your boss that you'll be knocking off early? Or at least that you'll be distracted? smile.gif--JC I want you to know that I've appreciated your input. And, I'll probably bother you with a question or two too. Please feel free to "bother away!" Note the recent discussion on turning off the amp/cab sims, too. And post some tones, if the spirit moves you! --JC

Take care,

George
Would you mind replying in the normal way instead of editing people's posts? Maybe I'm slow, but it just gets a little confusing sometimes. smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
Would you mind replying in the normal way instead of editing people's posts? Maybe I'm slow, but it just gets a little confusing sometimes. smile.gif
OverDriven, just so you and others know, I do it to save space. I find the linear fashion of reading repeated quotes tedious, especially if the exchanges occur out of sequence (that is, several posts get in between the question and the answer). My rationale is, why not answer the question right then and there? This forum is a little different, in that it's more "tightly moderated" by me, but I try not to abuse the privilege. I would never use the ability to edit posts, for example, to refute someone's argument or undermine an original post (though I have occasionally, such as in GCDEF's posts, echoed my agreement; I think this is okay, while the converse is not). I think you'll see that's true with the folks who've disagreed with me here.

Also, if a poster posits multiple questions, I find it more efficient to simply interject (placing my edits in bold italics so they're offset from the original). Otherwise, everything gets listed twice.

But I appreciate your point, so I'll consider your request going forward.

• Members

In the end even though we all agree on the takeaways and the add ons..the question is: do we have better sound? do we feel happy with our new purchase?. My 2 cents: I think is great..i had the desktop version for 1 year and this is definitely an improvement in a lot of levels. this are Just a few of my most liked features!:

1: The master EQ; What a difference it makes when trying to get good sound out of your standard combo amp!
2: One interesting thing i noticed was that none of the heavy distortion presets use the "new" metal pedal effect; and they sound really good; maybe vox is just trying to show us what a little time spent in learning the controls can do.
3: As a MAC user one of the things that attracted. me to the desktop version (besides price) was the optical out. Now is available In the new tonelab LE.
4. The color..it LOOKS GOOD IN SILVER OK!!

In conclusion : If you are new to the Tonelab, or had the desktop version; The combination of effects, Master EQ, and output options make this an attractive choice. So Please, I beg all of you Start concentrating on getting some patches out there, and discussing problems you may have with your "first batch" of tonelab le's. Discussing which one is better is counter productive to the purpose of a topic called NEW: VOX TONELAB LE.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Jon Chappell
Yes, you can assign the "on/off" status of the amp or amp/cab sim. to the Control switch, and you can do this in either program mode or stompbox mode.

The designers of the ToneLab LE obviously recognized that people would want to turn off the amp/cab sim to use just the effects, and so made this feature available in both modes.
Does this mean that when The Tonelab Le is connected to my Hotrod Deluxe I can have the stompbox act like a "stompbox" in front of my clean amp settings?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by andresc View Post
Does this mean that when The Tonelab Le is connected to my Hotrod Deluxe I can have the stompbox act like a "stompbox" in front of my clean amp settings?
Yes. Follow these two steps:
1. Turn off the amp and cab sims, leaving just these stompbox stages active:

STOMPBOX MODE
Modeled Pedal -> Volume/Exp. Pedal -> Modulation -> Delay -> Reverb

2. Plug into the HRD's Input 2, the one for hi-gain inputs (don't plug into the HRD's Power Amp In -- that's the jack you'd use if you were using only the modulation effects).

Also, you can add your own pedal via the TL's insert jacks, and you can change the order of the Modulation/Delay/Reverb.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven

View Post

I just want to agree with Jon's reply to this. OverDriven, when I first saw Jon doing this it certainly took a bit to figure out what was going on, but now I think it's a much more efficient way for him to interact with those who ask questions.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by santos

View Post

I just want to agree with Jon's reply to this ... I think it's a much more efficient way for him to interact with those who ask questions.

Thanks for your input, Santos. I think I will still only do this with direct questions to me, or where a quick answer dispatches several rapid-fire questions. I think it works better if my answers are short (and shorter than the post!).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 777Brad View Post
How about the acoustic simulator. Do I understand that the ToneLab LE has one? So do I understand that it should make any electric sound somewhat like an acoustic?
Glad you asked that, Brad. We haven't talked about this much, and the inclusion of the new acoustic simulator is one of the changes from the SE to the LE. Interestingly, Vox didn't include the modeled acoustic simulator in any of its 40 factory presets. So I created one here:

Acoustic Simulator

• Members
Glad you asked that, Brad. We haven't talked about this much, and the inclusion of the new acoustic simulator is one of the changes from the SE to the LE. Interestingly, Vox didn't include the modeled acoustic simulator in any of its 40 factory presets. So I created one here:

http://www.jonchappell.com/hc/ToneLab_Acoustic.mp3
I'm pretty sure there was one on the SE.

• Members

Is there any news on when the patch library software will be available for the Mac?

As for the in-line answers, I prefer that you don't do this. When you are following a board you almost never go back and you expect all the new posts with new information to be after the last post you read.

Thanks.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Hyperborea View Post
As for the in-line answers, I prefer that you don't do this. When you are following a board you almost never go back and you expect all the new posts with new information to be after the last post you read.

Thanks.
I have to be honest and say I found it somewhat disconcerting to see somebody else had add his comments to my post.

And Jon, will you please unsticky the crosspost in electric guitars.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
And Jon, will you please unsticky the crosspost in electric guitars.
GCDEF, what, do you work for for Zoom or something? Why are you so concerned with stickies? No, wait, I don't want to know. Let's just stay on topic, okay?

Acoustic Simulator
There is no preset acoustic sim? I'm probaby reading this wrong, but what about what it says on pg 35 of http://www.voxamps.co.uk/downloads/P...0LE_Manual.pdf
?

Nice playing, btw. thumb.gif Thanks for that.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 777Brad View Post
There is no preset acoustic sim? I'm probaby reading this wrong, but what about what it says on pg 35 ...
Nice playing, btw. thumb.gif Thanks for that.
No, I'm saying there's no factory preset in bank/program mode that uses the acoustic simulator model. The factory presets, of course, are designed to show off the unit using all the resources the ToneLab offers, written by really smart product guys using all the right effects and settings. Vox does a shout-out for the acoustic sim. in the promo blurb: "The acoustic simulator now offers the choice between 3 popular acoustic guitar types plus a resonator." But they didn't design a preset around it.

I think the modeled sim. is quite powerful, but it means I have to design my own patch from scratch, and you know how I hate to work. smile.gif

Oh, thanks for the props on the playing, Brad. That was an intro to the Eagles' "Desperado" (in A), followed by "Alice's Restaurant" with a harp-style tag (in C).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 777Brad

View Post

GCDEF, what, do you work for for Zoom or something? Why are you so concerned with stickies? No, wait, I don't want to know. Let's just stay on topic, okay?

I've been on topic all through this thread.

Archived