Korg Radias

Guest Anonymous

• Members

Just listened to the demos. I don't hear anything revolutionary here. Just more of the same stuff that most keyboardists consider to be good music.

I really don't get why a lot of synth players feel that obnoxious filtering is some demonstration of talent. Use the filter to add shades of color and movement.

And the vocodor thing. It's really an awesome tool when it's not used for some nerdy vocal robot effect (i.e. the Radias demos). Who listens to kind of crappy music anyway?

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by swardle

And the vocodor thing. It's really an awesome tool when it's not used for some nerdy vocal robot effect (i.e. the Radias demos). Who listens to kind of crappy music anyway?

A lot of people. :D

My record collection features LPs and CDs as diverse as Tania Maria, McCoy Tyner, Yes, ECM jazz and Detroit Techno.

I really like the cascades track... it had a lot of taste and musicality.. it was obviously not put together by a beginner... there was some nice chord changes, tasteful filter and great programming overall...

I don't think the Radias is my kind of synth, I think I'd rather go the software route for that kind of thing.

• Members

Alright orangefunk,

Let's not get carried away. I wasn't trying to be mean to the guy or anything. I just feel bad when musicians with potential get sucked into dance/techno-ville.

You were the kid's age at one point. You know how kids fall pray to bad advertising and such.

-SW

• Members

Originally posted by clusterchord

first of all they should remove PCM section. they can cut down the polyphony (DSP power), even in the fx section.

Tell me about it. I was interested in the Oasys modeling technology too, kind of shame it came in such bloated package. I could have done with a 12 voice model in a simple aluminium box, bundled with 3 oct keyboard. As with you, I could probably live without the PCM section or vocoder.

• Members

Alright orangefunk,

Let's not get carried away. I wasn't trying to be mean to the guy or anything. I just feel bad when musicians with potential get sucked into dance/techno-ville.

-SW

So are you saying that musicians in dance/techno-ville have no talent or that they settle for a lesser form of music?

Whether you like it or not it IS a popular music form and all of it doesn't sound like 2 Unlimited.

Opinions like yours is part of the reason I keep leaving America to make lucrative gains in other countries.

Disco started in America......

House started in America.......

Techno started in America.......

Yet, how is it that the country that started it all generally rejects these forms and there evolution?

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

So are you saying that musicians in dance/techno-ville have no talent or that they settle for a lesser form of music?

Whether you like it or not it IS a popular music form and all of it doesn't sound like 2 Unlimited.

Opinions like yours is part of the reason I keep leaving America to make lucrative gains in other countries.

Disco started in America......

House started in America.......

Techno started in America.......

Yet, how is it that the country that started it all generally rejects these forms and there evolution?

The american Audience has almost 0 Attention span, if it doesnt have a catchy chorus, or riff that gets stuck in your head it will never make it.

• Members

Originally posted by John B NYC

The american Audience has almost 0 Attention span, if it doesnt have a catchy chorus, or riff that gets stuck in your head it will never make it.

Yeah, like "Peanut Butter Jelly Time"

A song about a mouth full of precious metal and gems, and another song about a woman's humps goes gold and platinum but something as evocative as Larry Heard's latest works gets hardly any press or recognition.

I really don't understand why so many British artists want to break into America. Jamiroquai even changed their style a bit to try to break the states when you have a very fruitful European market screaming for the stuff and who's societies support it fully from media to higher education.

I don't know John. Maybe I should sample more familiar older songs into my tracks for some familiarity before taking a stab at the American market. :confused:

Not that I feel any need to bother with the market here but I am here and might be here for some time. I could also hibernate and learn my synths inside and out until I get back to England or move to Canada. :D

Or come on over to your house John. :D

• Members

That is what is referred to as "good songwriting".

• Members

:D

There is a striving underground culture of electronic music that is worlds away from the catchy choruses of the money-push MTV chart music. This is where the Radiases and whatnot are used to the full.

Thank god not everything is stuck in the pop formula. There is still room for rythmical, harmonical, melodical and sonical experimentation. Some of it is crap too, of course.

You should visit Germany sometimes, which is where this kind of thing is best appreciated. But it's a worldwide culture, you just wouldn't know about it since it's not in the mainstream.

Try http://www.deepmix.ru/index-e.php for example at some point. They have a constant mp3 stream and pretty good stuff going on most of the time. Oh and do listen to to it for more than half a minute. Some of this stuff needs to be listened to be understood. (Might also be an aquired taste.)

• Members

yo Swardle,

what, you don't like the Cascade Radias demo?

You don't like electronic technoville?

Then go buy a fender strat and play some guitar or learn how to play erhu and enjoy classical Chinese music. There's plenty of different music out there for everyone.

i still think that demo is awesome when it breaks into the 2nd part. and i still think another VA (or softsynth for that matter) is the LAST damn thing anyone needs to write a good song.

• Members

I guess if you consider the Lyrics like "holla back girl" or "drop it like its hot" well writtin.

Holla Back girl is a great tune.It's one of those songs where lyrics really don't matter.

• Members

I don't recall saying good music has to be a guitar-driven verse-chorus w/hooks sort of thing.

I'm just saying that most of these young synthesizer players feel like it is necessary to be obnoxoius with filters the way some guitarists think that mindlessly rocking a wah pedal back and forth takes talent.

And yes, I am not impressed by the Radias demos. Sounds pretty much like Casio Muzak to me.

• Members

I just feel bad when musicians with potential get sucked into dance/techno-ville.

that's funny ...

i play Hammond organ in a soul jazz context, which means my right hand is soloing or comping while my left hand and left foot are always playing bass AND i lead the band while doing it, because the organist ALWAYS leads the band no matter whose name is on the sign.

so this means i'm a musician. a muso. one who plays {censored} with fingers on keys in rhythm and key. i had to practise my ass off to be able to do this.

in fact, i just got back from Jim's Steakhouse (and yes i did drink the {censored} out of some maker's mark manhattans) here in Peoria where i closed out the night (ed and judy decided to hand over their last set to me so they could do tequila shots or something) with my singer woman friend and my drummer playing al green, isaac hayes, and pet shop boys tunes. you can probably acknowledge that people who do this sort of thing do actually have traditional music skills involving listening, keeping time, familiarity with style, awareness of standard repertoire etc ...

that said, one of the finest {censored}ing musicians i've ever met in my life happens to be an old school acid house guy named Distortech. he has a grace and mastery over the x0x boxes in a dance context which rivals the grace and mastery of some high-calibre acts i've seen in my life. watching him work the 303/909 rig is like watching {censored}ing Vangelis play a CS-80 or Lonnie Smith play organ ... these mother{censored}ers know what to do and what they're good at, and understand the tools they need to do the job.

so just remember: just because it's got a four-on-the-floor doesn't mean it's bad music and it definitely doesn't mean that the person who made it isn't a musician who has nurtured his skill and worked his ass off to do it.

now ... if they make _{censored}ty_ dance music then {censored}in' fry 'em up.

And yes, I am not impressed by the Radias demos. Sounds pretty much like Casio Muzak to me.

dude what were the last 10 albums you listened to? i really want to know, because i don't think these demos sound like "Casio Muzak" at all.

• Members

I guess if you consider the Lyrics like "holla back girl" or "drop it like its hot" well writtin.

Tutti frutti, oh rutti,

Tutti frutti, oh rutti,

Tutti frutti, oh rutti,

Tutti frutti, oh rutti,

Tutti frutti, oh rutti,

Whop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom!

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

like i said. if all the drum kits are strictly PCM then that is a bummer for sure. i dont mind the ability to use both. but if you can't configure a kit to use 16 sounds generated by the synth engine then thats a pitty.

Yes it would be nice to take the ER concept a stage further.

Archived